DS Forums

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Old 26-07-2015, 19:38
Mark F
Forum Member

I'd be more surprised if they didn't start with football.

It will be the same for most of the shows.

After all they only worry about the ratings and what they think the core listenership want to hear...

They did talk about Froome's success for about 5 minutes but really they aren't going to add much more to what has been said..
Mark F is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-07-2015, 14:20
jim_lyons
Forum Member

When Murray did MOTD2 and Fighting Talk he did not bother me at all but three hours five days a week has got me to the stage of wanting to rip his head off most days! I have to go to the workshop most days and TS is on 24/7 and there is no escape from this overgrown student and his screeching voice. Am off on my wanders soon so at least I shall be spared this clown for a few weeks.
Have tried to convince the guys in the shop to change stations at 10 or when Quinn is polluting the airwaves but they are simply not having it.
Spot on mate -

I have now stopped listening in the mornings - Murray has become unbearable, just like he was on 5live.

I was also under the impression he'd been humbled by his sacking and was bearable when first on Talksport - now he is back to his old self - he's done everything better than everyone else, he knows everything and he has the most hilarious "banter" on radio.

Worst thing is we are probably stuck with him for many, many years
jim_lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 19:46
The Difference
Forum Member

I'd be more surprised if they didn't start with football.

It will be the same for most of the shows.

After all they only worry about the ratings and what they think the core listenership want to hear...

They did talk about Froome's success for about 5 minutes but really they aren't going to add much more to what has been said..
I certainly think this will have been the case in the immediate aftermath of the Tour de France - it's a similar situation to when Wimbledon is on, as while The Press Pass was airing yesterday most people interested in the Tour will have been watching it live on ITV4 or listening to it on BBC Radio 5 Live (I know I was watching the former). Therefore the sort of people listening to talkSPORT at that time won't have been that interested in cycling, in fact I think it's probable that a substantial chuck of those listeners will have been those who don't like the sport and wanted an alternative to it.

Having said that, I do think the Tour de France should be covered more prominently by talkSPORT's general weekday programmes than it perhaps has been (I have not listened today so don't know to what extent it's been covered since the race finished). If you listen for long enough, there have been areas of the schedule where the race has received a decent level of coverage - I listen to The Sports Bar a lot, and over the past three weeks the likes of ITV4's Phil Liggett and Ned Boulting have been consistently heard in that 12.30am slot where the show covers something other than (Premier League) football. I'm sure other shows have had a similar window where they've had an in-depth chat about the Tour for about 15 minutes.

As for talkSPORT's summer weekend schedule, I have to say I think the Saturday/Sunday Scoreboard shows have been quite good from what I've heard of them. I know they've often led with football - having been able to move pretty swiftly from the Under-21 Championship and Women's World Cup into club friendlies - but they also regularly go around the grounds from a number of other sporting events including The Ashes, the Tour de France, F1 Grand Prix races, The Open golf, big horse racing meetings, the Anniversary Games and the World Matchplay darts. Also, they've invited Gareth A Davies into the studio to talk all things boxing and MMA - he was doing just that yesterday with Georgie Bingham between 4-6pm and was on with Ian Danter the weekend before. So those hours are well worth a listen if you like your fight sports.
The Difference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 20:31
Mark F
Forum Member

Another issue is people do complain about Darren Gough talking about things he doesn't really know (or care) about so they probably try to stick to their main topic.

Just look at the fuss caused by Gary Lineker as well regarding the BBC/Golf.

I was off for a week when Wimbledon finished and the Tour was just starting so heard a bit of Hawksbee and Jacobs - one of them was really into the tennis and cycling - the other wasn't so much so guess unless there is a dedicated show like for the rugby/cricket such discussions won't last long.

They do cover the events well (baring in mind Talk sports don't have the rights) but no-one should be surprised football is their main discussion.

I'd agree it can be a bit dull and monotonous but even on here the football forum is mainly populated with debate about the top teams...
Old 28-07-2015, 11:39
Mallory99
Forum Member

Tell me a celtic supporter that dosen't, Mall ..... even Big Al's the same when hes sober, but thats not very often !!
Steady on Sleeper! Big Al talking sense?
Mallory99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:11
Mallory99
Forum Member

I see TS is on the horseracing tip again with trips to the Coral box etc. Who are the racing fans on here? I don't want to knock it but, as much as I love sport I can't get a buzz out of the turf. I don't bet - I see that as a mugs game - and I can't get my head around the form, weight, the going etc so what is the point?

I see they've got Cork at Edgbaston tomorrow. Thank the Lord for Test Match Special. I wonder sometimes if the suits at TS take a perverse pleasure in foisting unpopular, unlikeable presenters on us. I mean, how else do you explain Cork, Quinn, Goldstein etc. Quinn must have some very interesting pictures of the TS management stashed away somewhere!
Old 28-07-2015, 12:59
Venetian
Forum Member

I see TS is on the horseracing tip again with trips to the Coral box etc. Who are the racing fans on here? I don't want to knock it but, as much as I love sport I can't get a buzz out of the turf. I don't bet - I see that as a mugs game - and I can't get my head around the form, weight, the going etc so what is the point?

I see they've got Cork at Edgbaston tomorrow. Thank the Lord for Test Match Special. I wonder sometimes if the suits at TS take a perverse pleasure in foisting unpopular, unlikeable presenters on us. I mean, how else do you explain Cork, Quinn, Goldstein etc. Quinn must have some very interesting pictures of the TS management stashed away somewhere!
I guess as they say Mallory, but it's not the institution it once was. I was on a long train journey the other day and tuned to TMS, I actually had to wait 10 minutes before the [Australian] commentators let the listeners in on the score .. It is probably true that the best way to enjoy cricket is to have the TV screen on mute with the radio doing the commentary?
Venetian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 14:59
ramage
Forum Member

I hold my hand up Mall. I love horse racing & I have a bet most days purely for entertainment. Most days it costs less than going to the cinema.
Why talksport send Brazil on these jollies I don't know. He is on air from 6am to 10am & the first race isn't normally till 2pm.
I lost count this morning of the times he said "It's Stunning down here". Stunning seems to be his favourite word nowadays.
I've just booked into a hotel in Edgbaston ready for five days of the Ashes (if it lasts that long). but I won't be mingling with the likes of Cork. Unlike him I have to pay for my tickets. People like Cork, Gough, & Brazil wouldn't go to halve of the events if they had to pay for themselves. Those guys sure like a freebie.
ramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 21:52
BanglaRoad
Forum Member

I hold my hand up Mall. I love horse racing & I have a bet most days purely for entertainment. Most days it costs less than going to the cinema.
Why talksport send Brazil on these jollies I don't know. He is on air from 6am to 10am & the first race isn't normally till 2pm.
I lost count this morning of the times he said "It's Stunning down here". Stunning seems to be his favourite word nowadays.
I've just booked into a hotel in Edgbaston ready for five days of the Ashes (if it lasts that long). but I won't be mingling with the likes of Cork. Unlike him I have to pay for my tickets. People like Cork, Gough, & Brazil wouldn't go to halve of the events if they had to pay for themselves. Those guys sure like a freebie.
I love going to the races and Windsor on a sunny Monday evening is a great way to spend a few hours by the river. Have seen a few faces down there, Rod Stewart and Michael Caine but have yet to see Boozie who reckons he goes there a lot
Hope the weather stays fine for the Test Match for you as it must be so frustrating to be sitting watching the rain falling. Can't call this match at all so hope for a lively wicket and some good weather and we should have yet another exciting test
BanglaRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 08:44
Homesdale
Forum Member

As someone said before, really cant see the point of the Breakfast Show being done from a racecourse.

All it does, is allow Brazil to be there for the day. Although also pointless coming from a cricket ground too.

Nothing is happening there from 6am-10am from when the show is on, so not sure what it achieves to be honest, apart from Brazil repeating himself 500 times during the show!!
Homesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 06:38
Mark F
Forum Member

Did Southampton get a mention from Goldstein and Cundy last night? - it seemed to be the West Ham show..
Old 31-07-2015, 11:51
BanglaRoad
Forum Member

Have TS stopped using Jack Banister for the cricket updates for good and given the gig to John Norman? I used to enjoy Jackie B and his summing up and also his wanders down cricket memory lane. JN just comes across as a corporate man who is efficient but instantly forgettable.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09
Mark F
Forum Member

Jack B has just been on with Bingham and Cundy so maybe he is just doing the odd preview/review?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56
BanglaRoad
Forum Member

Jack B has just been on with Bingham and Cundy so maybe he is just doing the odd preview/review?
Glad the old boy is still around but I missed him for I avoid the WSB like the plague, it is dreadful. Any show that still does "shout outs" is to be given a wide berth.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:17
The Difference
Forum Member

Have TS stopped using Jack Banister for the cricket updates for good and given the gig to John Norman? I used to enjoy Jackie B and his summing up and also his wanders down cricket memory lane. JN just comes across as a corporate man who is efficient but instantly forgettable.
What's primarily happened is that talkSPORT decided they needed to have their own reporter on-site at England's home cricket internationals, possibly as a consequence of people making fun out of them due to the fact Jack Bannister was filing his updates from his home, but mainly in order to have someone at the grounds to conduct interviews with players, coaches and other journalists for them.

Initially I think Jon Norman - who in my opinion is a good choice, what with him being a lifelong cricket fan and with him having contributed to Test Match Sofa alongside his talkSPORT production work - was sent to games mainly as an interviewer. Over the last one/two summers Jon became their regular voice for progress reports, with Jack Bannister still receiving considerable airtime as their expert summariser, getting a chance to provide his analysis on the station at the end of each session or at the end of innings in limited overs matches. However, this summer it appears Jack is no longer consistently used in that role either - I think he was for the two New Zealand Tests, but not for most of the limited overs games against the Black Caps or on The Ashes so far - indeed Dominic Cork was with Jon at Edgbaston for the first two days of this Test Match.

But as said Jack is still making contributions across a number of shows, he was on with Mark Saggers on Kick Off on Thursday night and I'm sure he'll have popped up on H&J at some point this week. I personally like the combination of having Jon Norman there but Jack still being called upon to give his take, I think it's a good mix to have someone there but also maintaining the contributions of their long-standing expert. Hopefully we'll hear him a bit more during the matches, rather than just at the start and end of the day's play, from Trent Bridge onwards.
Old 01-08-2015, 13:23
BanglaRoad
Forum Member

Thanks for the detail Mr Diff. I am not doubting JN knowing his stuff about cricket but he just does not grab my attention like JB does. I suppose we should be grateful that JN does the reports live from the ground because it could be worse, Cork could have been given the gig and that would have been gruesome.
Old 01-08-2015, 16:50
The Difference
Forum Member

Did anyone listen to last weekend's My Sporting Life with Curtis Woodhouse?

I caught up with it during the week and found it one of the most interesting editions I've heard for a while. The editions of MSL I've enjoyed in the past have tended to feature highly likeable personalities such as Bobby Gould, Lawrie McMenemy and Bob Wilson. You certainly can't put Woodhouse in that bracket - but while he's not easy to completely warm to given his past indiscretions, he's not entirely unsympathetic either and gave a real sense of why his football career went down the route it did, with him explaining his off-field problems frankly without looking to make excuses. He's certainly a complex, interesting character, and good on him for making a success of a second career in boxing. It was one of the better My Sporting Life's I've heard recently, it's worth catching if the unusual nature of Woodhouse's sporting career takes your interest.
Old 02-08-2015, 19:00
*Laura*
Forum Member

Well the football season has officially started and so has the annual "Talk -let's get Arsene Wenger sacked- Sport! I stopped listening to Adrian Durham yonks ago because of this shoddy type of journalism. Sadly I turned on the radio to hear Jason Cundy lambasting Arsenal with Durhman type venom. The only saving grace for the whole show was "Francesca from Leeds", who gave him a right tongue lashing. Then Cundy thinking that she had phone up on behalf of her Arsenal supporting boyfriend asked that he come to the line. The guy came on and told him he thought he was talking a load of rubbish, to which Cundy said "well you would say that you support Arsenal" to which the guy replied "no I don't, and I don't support Chelsea either but, you are talking a load of rubbish"!

When will Talk -let's get rid of Arsene Wenger- Sport" realise that people tune in to listen to balanced sports discussion and NOT one team and it's manager being continually lambasted for no reason whatsoever. The two callers this morning should be a wake-up call to the station that it's gone too far when supporters from other teams are phoning up to side with Arsene.
*Laura* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28
swingaleg
Forum Member

!
I love horse racing

You're not the only one who doesn't know anything about it though.......Danny Kelly made a horrendous mistake this morning. Interviewing Hayley Turner about the 'Lady Jockey's Evening' at Carlisle today he ended by saying that they should have a word about Richard Hughes because after 20 years coming second to AP McCoy he finally gets a chance to win the championship and goes and retires

D'oh !

Hayley was far too polite to correct him........
swingaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15
ramage
Forum Member

I love horse racing

You're not the only one who doesn't know anything about it though.......Danny Kelly made a horrendous mistake this morning. Interviewing Hayley Turner about the 'Lady Jockey's Evening' at Carlisle today he ended by saying that they should have a word about Richard Hughes because after 20 years coming second to AP McCoy he finally gets a chance to win the championship and goes and retires

D'oh !

Hayley was far too polite to correct him........
Hah Hah, I missed that. Hopefully it will be on Clips Of The Week.

No Brazil again this morning, no great loss to me, but I don't think Kelly is the answer as his stand in. I find it just a noise in the background when he rambles on.
I would love Ian Danter to get the spot on a regular basis, i find he is the right mix between serious reporting with a touch of humour thrown in . Just what I want at breakfast.
ramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:58
Mallory99
Forum Member

Thanks for the detail Mr Diff. I am not doubting JN knowing his stuff about cricket but he just does not grab my attention like JB does. I suppose we should be grateful that JN does the reports live from the ground because it could be worse, Cork could have been given the gig and that would have been gruesome.
Agree. I love Jack B. I know he reports from his armchair but he is so knowledgeable and isn't afraid to express an opinion. John Norman is coming along well but he ain't no Jack.

As for Cook, I wonder what he was like as a player. He comes across like that oily grass character in the prison sitcom Porridge.
Old Yesterday, 13:04
Mallory99
Forum Member

Hah Hah, I missed that. Hopefully it will be on Clips Of The Week.

No Brazil again this morning, no great loss to me, but I don't think Kelly is the answer as his stand in. I find it just a noise in the background when he rambles on.
I would love Ian Danter to get the spot on a regular basis, i find he is the right mix between serious reporting with a touch of humour thrown in . Just what I want at breakfast.
I have a lot of time for Danny but he does rabbit on too much at times.
Old Yesterday, 18:53
Mark F
Forum Member

Maybe Brazil could cover Danny Kelly on Saturday's given the number of times the latter has been on call in the morning.

Btw Noticed Collymore has predicted the relegated sides to go down and the top 4 to be as last season.

Not the most adventurous prediction but maybe not surprising..