Options

Radio 1's Hackney Weekend! :-)

Comments

• Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crowd was dead, it got bad reviews and it struggled to sell out... there hasn't been any hip hop artist headlining glastonbury since and I can't see it happening again any time soon.

People could either be in Hackney to watch Jay Z... or tomorrow they could see Bruce Springsteen. Bit a no brainer right there.

He got rave reviews, and rightly so, he was incredible.

Hip hop may not have headlined, and to be honest noone else is at the level of Jay Z, other than maybe Kanye, to warrant a headline slot, but didn't Beyoncé close Glastonbury last year, pop/rnb, not the usual rock act.

How could they "either" you do realise people could do both, what a great musical weekend that would be. Hove and the Boss.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    ^ I remember there being a lot of criticism about Beyonce last year aswell. One of the Radio 1 presenters (was it Zane Lowe?) went on a little rant about it too.

I can kind of understand why. I'd watch Beyonce and Jay-Z over a rock band any day, but the truth is, most of the people who went to these festivals probably don't like them. I've never been to a live concert before. :(
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    ^ I remember there being a lot of criticism about Beyonce last year aswell. One of the Radio 1 presenters (was it Zane Lowe?) went on a little rant about it too.

I can kind of understand why. I'd watch Beyonce and Jay-Z over a rock band any day, but the truth is, most of the people who went to these festivals probably don't like them. I've never been to a live concert before. :(

I'd say Beyonce was average, it was a solid but nothing memorable or spectacular.

all these people moaning about the Glastonbury headliner choices seem to forget that Kylie was scheduled to headline there until she got cancer. Glastonbury has tried to broaden the genre's of its headliners in the last 10 years, and I agree with them doing so. If you are a top class artist with loads of popular hits you should get your chance, no matter your style of music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Zane Lowe was a total arse, there are multiple stages at festivals for a reason and he was well within his rights to go watch something else, but to slag her off was ridiculous.

I went to my first festival last year because of Beyoncé, at T in the Park and it was amazing, the atmosphere at Beyoncé was incredible and everyone there wanted to be there, there were 3 or 4 other acts on simultanously, it's just pure music snobbery making out certain acts don't deserve to be on main stages. At Glasto last year Beyoncé filled the main stage area and got rave reviews so was definitely deserving of her slot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is MIA there? Are they performing Swagga Like Us?

I agree that it's not a really good idea to have hip hop artists headlining big events like this, as a LOT of people hate hip hop very much. They should get an artist to headline who has broader appeal; is more universally liked. But as far as hip hop artists go, Jay-Z is one of the least hated with the general public.

He did Swagga Like Us and then she came on and did Paper Planes and Bad Girls.

I felt really sorry for her when she was singing and then obviously her mic was off. :o She looked quite annoyed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so jealous you saw Watch the Throne.

The whole ticket release passed me by and before I knew it I couldn't get hold of tickets!

That Bonnie and Clyde was epic, was waiting on B though!

99 problems is always a highlight.

It was an incredible show, they played for 2 hours 30 and it was non-stop amazingness. :p I'd definitely recommend you go if they tour again!

Yes Kanye has come on, this set has been amazing so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with a rapper headlining, but Jay Z? Granted he may be popular in the states, but other than Crazy in Love about 10 years ago hasnt had what you could call a hit song over here, and im guessing the general public couldnt name more than two of his songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shn321 wrote: »
    It was an incredible show, they played for 2 hours 30 and it was non-stop amazingness. :p I'd definitely recommend you go if they tour again!

Yes Kanye has come on, this set has been amazing so far.

I think Watch the Throne 2 has been confirmed. So praying for another tour.

This is just incredible.

Love the shots of Beyoncé dancing away. She is perfection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    borodave wrote: »
    I have no problem with a rapper headlining, but Jay Z? Granted he may be popular in the states, but other than Crazy in Love about 10 years ago hasnt had what you could call a hit song over here, and im guessing the general public couldnt name more than two of his songs.

Your trolling right:confused:

or did Empire State Of Mind, Run This Town, Umbrella, 99 Problems, Young Forever and the many other songs he's had or featured on since 2003 pass you by?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bonnie and Clyde
    Run This Town

Both number 1's here

Empire State of Mind was huge, Watch the Throne album got to number 3, his songs are well known and his set has been incredible.

The crowd don't seem to have any issue getting into the show or singing the blanks when he pauses.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Z is just ACE!!

Only he can brings guests like Rihanna and Kanye. Loving Hackney 2012!:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they'll do N*gga's in Paris just the one time tonight?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your trolling right:confused:

or did Empire State Of Mind, Run This Town, Umbrella, 99 Problems, Young Forever and the many other songs he's had or featured on since 2003 pass you by?

Still wouldnt class any of them as big hits, or songs that will go down in history as being 'big' songs. Plus those songs mentioned - who the hell listens to them for the Jay Z part of the song? The songs are famous for the choruses/female vocalists, the rapping part is ignored/not well known/could be any one of the hundred rent a rappers out there for all anybody cares.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still wouldnt class any of them as big hits, or songs that will go down in history as being 'big' songs. Plus those songs mentioned - who the hell listens to them for the Jay Z part of the song? The songs are famous for the choruses/female vocalists, the rapping part is ignored/not well known/could be any one of the hundred rent a rappers out there for all anybody cares.
    Yeah yeah, I get it, you don't like him.

No worries, he has enough fans, thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually speechless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shn321 wrote: »
    He did Swagga Like Us and then she came on and did Paper Planes and Bad Girls.

I felt really sorry for her when she was singing and then obviously her mic was off. :o She looked quite annoyed!

Ah, that's cool.

I'll always remember Swagga Like Us, because of that time in the US when they had an award show and MIA was pregnant and went on and performed on her due date!! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thing they did with making the crowd go in to circles and then go crazy looked really cool!
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'd say even his most recent hit, **** in Paris will go down in history. Certainly in hip hop history anyway. It's probably the biggest hip hop song of 2012.

99 Problems already back in the top 100 on iTunes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I give up on humanity if anyone says this set by Jay Z is nothing short than incredible. AMAZING.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually speechless.

As am I, clearly Empire State Of Mind was an underground hit that no-one heard much. My radio must have been stuck on the same song for several months, I must find the receipt and take it back to the shop for a refund:rolleyes:
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Zed is terrible, saw him live at a festival and he was terrible there as well, the only decent bit were the crowd woke up was during a song when Rihanna was singing, she wasn't there but at least the musical interlude she introduced was a welcome relief from the crapping.

Why anybody would want to go a rappers concert is beyond me.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me he will never top Tupac or Biggy as the 'all time great'. Maybe it's a generation thing. Although Jay Z is older than both of them would have been now.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As am I, clearly Empire State Of Mind was an underground hit that no-one heard much. My radio must have been stuck on the same song for several months, I must find the receipt and take it back to the shop for a refund:rolleyes:

That was an Alicia Keyes song :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing they did with making the crowd go in to circles and then go crazy looked really cool!

Especially the Beyoncé one.

Its a shame noone knows any Jay Z songs so noone can sing a long though isn't it.

#yeahright!

I've already said it, but it's been even better since I said it, this is by a million miles, the best set by anyone at any of these Radio 1 live events. Jay Z has just bested Gaga and Madonna.

But Hip Hop isn't good enough to headline