How to ignore someone you can't ignore!

BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
I will try and explain this as briefly as I can....

Over on Facebook, I do a lot of networking for my radio show...its the only way to get yourself noticed. Lots of other shows do the same. Last year, I became online friends with someone who did a similar show, we agreed to help each other along...until late last year, when I apparently upset him by contacting one of his contacts directly, he felt I was being too pushy. For a while, things were tense..my posts were ignored by him while he 'liked' those around mine...so in the end, I thought, sod him and deleted him as a friend.

Eventually, I made contact and I thought we had 'made up, and became 'friends' again. However, it soon became apparent that he was doing the same again and ignoring what I was doing. It came to a head again around two months ago, I'm afraid I had a bit of a private rant at him, he called me bad names! And that was that. Friendship deleted.

I should say here...without going too deep...I have a few issues...I suffer from depression and have experiences from childhood that have given me a lack of confidence and possibly lead to this paranoia that I'm getting ignored by some. I decided I would send him an email, explaining why I might get these thoughts online, and how we really should bury the hatchet,,,that things can appear worse online and that if we met in the pub, we would get on fine. I offered to ring and him and talk things over.

Since then, nothing...no reply...two weeks since....bit upsetting but if he can't accept an email that basically apologised and wanted to make amends, he isn't worth my time anyway.

Here is my issue then...as you know, you can never really ignore people on FB...he is on the same groups as me...he posts all the time...it's impossible to not see what he is doing. At the same time, many of my contacts [ musicians and fellow presenters ] obviously deal with him themselves and get on fine with him...yet in my head, I am wanting to scream ' you don't know what he's really like'!!!

Part of me wants to keep trying to make things good between us...part of me wants to rip Facebook down and if it means not being able to network there, so be it. I guess the reality is somewhere in between. A couple of people I have confided in, have told me that if he is a d*ck, I just need to ignore him, or else I will go mad...and I know they are right...but how do you get it in your head, to let these things go over your head??

I knew I couldn't be concise...sorry!...but maybe this scenario could be the same in many situations...

Comments

• jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there maybe a way of making sure his likes/wallposts etc don't show up? i know you can do that with friends (I did it with a couple of mine who insist on telling everyone every detail of their day!) but I'm not sure if it can be done with friends of friends.

There are bound to be people on DS who will know if it's possible, hopefully they'll be along shortly. :)

In the meantime, I agree that he's not worth your time, he sounds like a petty so & so!
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Is there maybe a way of making sure his likes/wallposts etc don't show up?!

OP, could you not 'block' this person, he won't exist on Facebook then (at least to you)
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...if I block him, I wont see any of his posts even on groups that we both visit?

It still seems like a shame to me...I always see the best in people...the reason I feel sad is, even if we both did or said things that were wrong, I have offered to try and sort it out...and I opened up a bit to him about things...and he has just snubbed it...
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    It could be he also has his own issues and doesn't know how to respond? However, you have done your bit, you can't make him talk to you and bury the hatchet. It's only been two months so not long really.

I've had similar in real life (2yrs ago), and the person I fell out with I still see almost every single day, and depending on my mood there are days I just wanna have a pop at her and others where it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've got anxiety (with depression on top but much better now) and I know it's far better for me to let it go and get on with my life and put my energies elsewhere than wasting them on anger with her.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been in a similar situation before. I only met them briefly again through radio as he was on one of that stations radio production courses. I spoke to him once, that day i met him. Suddenly he finds me on facebook and adds me as a friend and all of a sudden he is liking every single bit of my activity on facebook which got annoying. I then hid my wall/timeline from him and the notifications stopped.

The final straw was when he found a photo i shared with a page i liked. God knows how he found that group as i've never spoken about my interest of that subject to him and i blocked him. I unblocked him after a few weeks but i found out that blocking also removes them as a friend.

I haven't re-added him since because i don't even know him and i just don't know to handle him.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning I found out a work colleague had unfriended me and tagged everybody in our works Christmas Party photos apart from me, and the boss (whom he really dislikes.) He's been 'off' towards me for a few months because of the situation at work - he'll invite everybody else out to lunch but leave me sitting at my desk, he'll joke with and chat to everybody but it's as though I'm not in the room.
    Yes, it is slightly upsetting to feel singled out or ignored, but at the end of the day I just remember that he's a d*ck and I'm not.

I can work alongside him and get on with each other perfectly well on a professional level; because at the end of the day I don't consider him a friend and his opinion doesn't really mean anything to me. Networking is exactly that - working. It's about using people to further your own aims. Occasionally you might meet someone you get along well with, but you also need to preserve a professional relationship.

If he's a mate then he sounds like a kn*b anyway, so you're better off without him.

If he's a 'network buddy' and you don't do anything socially with him, then why should it bother you what sort of person he is?

Either way, block him and move on.

Have fun doing things that don't revolve around FB. Ultimately FB is about making your life look cooler or making yourself look better than you really are. Don't get sucked into it.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Is this school radio youre on about.?
    All very immature
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frisky Python, totally understand where you are coming from on all levels there...its the way my mind works, I know it shouldn't bother me but it does!

Jackol, thanks for the insight there!

Eluf, its ok, FB is in no way my life....but in order to get the word out, it is a vital tool that lots of people use...there isn't really anywhere else out there to do the job. Blocking is a serious alternative...it's just that in my mind, I would still prefer to try and build a bridge...mainly because I am obviously daft!
  • Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Bluestrain radio - what is this person adding to your life ? Nothing of value ? I would consider blocking on FB, seriously, it's only the internet, he's hardly likely to put your windows through......;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    too true...we do have friends in common on there [ again, mostly online virtual friends only ]..and we do both use the same groups...to me, blocking seems so final..as if I have admitted it will never improve. I know its a little bit pathetic on my part...its just that things might be easier all round if some common ground could be found somehow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My reply propably isn't going to be popular but it is meant in a constructive way but i think him ignoring your email is perfectly reasonable. I'm sorry but if someone ranted at me (due to there own personal paranoia) then apologised, then kicked off again then apologised again i too would simply ignore it. Perhaps before calling him a dick you could look at how your behaviour may effect others around you. Your reluctance to block him speaks volumes to me, perhaps you thought there was more to this "friendship" than he did?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly...fair comments...however, to make it clear, it was he that originally got arsey with me, as he felt I stepped on his toes with one of his contacts. He went cold on our 'friendship' back then. It was only recently, when he told me things were ok but then kept ignoring my comments, that I got cross with him. He then wrote some pretty bad things to me in return. I am saying, I am prepared to put everything under the bridge and look to getting back on track...our shows are quite similar and could help each other along. It was also following early contact, where we both agreed to help each other...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly...fair comments...however, to make it clear, it was he that originally got arsey with me, as he felt I stepped on his toes with one of his contacts. He went cold on our 'friendship' back then. It was only recently, when he told me things were ok but then kept ignoring my comments, that I got cross with him. He then wrote some pretty bad things to me in return. I am saying, I am prepared to put everything under the bridge and look to getting back on track...our shows are quite similar and could help each other along. It was also following early contact, where we both agreed to help each other...

Then perhaps he was just saying that things were fine...
    If it was me in this situation i would simply just get on with it, no blocking etc. But then i am a pretty laid back person and its not often things will get to me, or at least i will not show that something has got to me. Be indifferent, i know it is harder than it seems but you have the advantage of being behind a computer screen therefore he doesnt have to see hes upset/annoyed you.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    sexy_kelly wrote: »
    My reply propably isn't going to be popular but it is meant in a constructive way but i think him ignoring your email is perfectly reasonable. I'm sorry but if someone ranted at me (due to there own personal paranoia) then apologised, then kicked off again then apologised again i too would simply ignore it. Perhaps before calling him a dick you could look at how your behaviour may effect others around you. Your reluctance to block him speaks volumes to me, perhaps you thought there was more to this "friendship" than he did?

But the OP didn't rant at him twice, just the once, and the OP has been the one instigating getting back in contact in order to move things on, twice. It seems the friendship has been a bit fraught since the OP contacted a contact of this person, and this other person objected to it. And then the whole "ignoring on FB" started up, which is a bit childish really.

OP I'd just let it go. Others may well be thinking how childish the FB liking thing is, so don't get drawn in. I can guarantee that in a few months things won't feel the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the OP didn't rant at him twice, just the once, and the OP has been the one instigating getting back in contact in order to move things on, twice. It seems the friendship has been a bit fraught since the OP contacted a contact of this person, and this other person objected to it. And then the whole "ignoring on FB" started up, which is a bit childish really.

OP I'd just let it go. Others may well be thinking how childish the FB liking thing is, so don't get drawn in. I can guarantee that in a few months things won't feel the same.

Yes, your right. Apologies OP i fighting a head cold and my concertration is lacking atm, i did read into it wrong but my post above still stands, i really wouldn't let him bother you (or at least don't show him that he has bothered you)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No worries Kelly...and thanks for all opinions...and I know it can sound childish! I think this can happen anywhere though, as some comments above have shown...you try really hard to not let it bother you and it annoys you when it does...but the mind just niggles away...very hard to just switch off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he was doing the classic quote from the bod above you and never you job, which is passive agresion Ive seen that alot.

Think about what he knows about you, address, employers etc and how he could use that to hurt you if you block him and he goes postal on you.

It sounds like youve never met him I recommend you keep it that way.

hope you resolve this ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if I block him, he would know that I had?

He wouldn't know where I live, apart from which town...I don't think he's the sort that would want to contact my employer either...I think he is just basically ignoring me...its just that when I see him posting, I sometimes get wound up by what he says...so blocking all posts would help with that. But now you've said this, its put a doubt in my mind, that maybe blocking is a step too far!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    So if I block him, he would know that I had?

He wouldn't know where I live, apart from which town...I don't think he's the sort that would want to contact my employer either...I think he is just basically ignoring me...its just that when I see him posting, I sometimes get wound up by what he says...so blocking all posts would help with that. But now you've said this, its put a doubt in my mind, that maybe blocking is a step too far!

You really do seem to have issues with paranoia! :eek:

Stop overthinking. You've had a pretty minor falling out with someone you don't even know in real life. Block him, forget about him and move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, yeah, I do have issues...that is my problem..deep rooted doubting issues from childhood and more recently, depression...these are the gits that give me these doubts that I don't want!

So I think I may be best if I block his posts...but want to know that I am doing so quietly on there, that he wouldn't know...
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you would be best to block him. You are reading into everything far, far too much. You are also using your past to justify this obsessive and frankly odd behavior. Having 'issues' doesn't give you the right to have a go at somebody because they don't 'like' your Facebook posts. Take responsibility for yourself, you did something wrong and annoyed someone, you then got annoyed at him for not wanting to be your best friend and went off on a 'rant', i'm sorry to sound harsh but you really need a reality check, you aren't the innocent victim in this, just block the guy and thank God he had the good grace not to tell everyone how silly you have been behaving.
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I think I may be best if I block his posts...but want to know that I am doing so quietly on there, that he wouldn't know...

Just block him, and don't give it a thought. You can be sure he's not gonna over analyse FB usage as much as you're doing. Just block and forget...

Why do you care if he knows or not. It's not like you'll see his posts about the matter anyway (when you block him)! :)
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look at it from his POV. You are quite hard work, you keep having strops and rants and then wanting to be friends again, until the next strop. To be frank, I would probably delete you and never look back. life is too short, especially to be having fb spats