Options

Iphone 6 released

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Just because one manufacturer has compromised in one area to gain in another, does not negate that someone else's different compromise is just as valid in some other way.
    “They couldn’t be more different. The iPhone 5S worships at the alter [sic] of convenience and speed, while the Nokia devotes everything to the best possible image quality. In the 7 seconds you took to read this paragraph, the iPhone could have taken 70 shots. The Nokia? Two. With another coming … wait a moment … almost there … now. Their camera apps are polar opposites too: the Nokia offers you full-time manual control over all the camera settings; the iPhone gives you almost none.”

The new Lumia camera app does finally add a burst mode, plus 4K recording on the newer Snapdragon 800 phones. My Z2 meanwhile takes goodness knows how many shots per second in its burst mode, and the Timeshift mode allows me to go 'back in time' after capturing a load of pics in quick succession. A feature that, incidentally, Sony Ericsson introduced on a feature phone in the late 2000s!

Talking of which, where's my Sony Ericsson C905 that has an 8MP camera and Xenon flash? Or the Samsung Pixon with 12MP about 5 years ago? Oh yes, in a drawer gathering dust because they're so old!
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    I don't want to be stuck with a old phone as I am due a update in November and I have now had the iPhone 5 for 2 years .

I am tempted to try something new but I'm now so used to apple I think it could be a shock to the system :D

I've never really understood this need to replace phones that work just fine. If you're coming to the end of your contract, swap over to a SIM only deal and save a bundle. I've got a 5 too, and as long as it keeps working and I don't lose it, I'm not even considering replacing it for a least a couple of years.

And as for trying something new, I recently had an opportunity to live with an Android based phone for a little while. And it was quite exciting. There's a lot to like. And a few things I'd miss. So on the whole, there's absolutely no guarantee that my next phone will be an iPhone.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    You may want to read the other posts and the context in which that was written. Had you done so you'd have seen I was taking the mic out of apple fanboys. And I've not even mentioned the iPhone plus. At all.

I don't think either iPhone are the best anything. And made no such assertions.

Yikes! Apologies - I was obviously blinded by the endless techno-drivel spouted by genuine Apple fans. As I use screen magnification, I don't always follow posters' names as they're off screen. But that's feeble excuse, really :blush:

You did a great job of sounding genuine, so credit to you for that :D Had me fooled...
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said on here, apple products "just work".

That's all that needs to be said.

Had my iphone 4 for ages. Never not worked. Never let me down. Doesn't have a single scratch on it. Could run for years.

Annoyingly, Apple build in obsolescence with every IOS upgrade, so I don't really have a choice in the matter of buying a new iphone.

But I'm sure the iphone 6 will "just work", which is what makes their products so appealing to those who have them.

But that doesn't mean I was bowled over by the recent launch. Defo treading water going on.

Their things don't just work. The live stream was terrible yesterday.

Android also devices just work.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Except when they don't
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Yikes! Apologies - I was obviously blinded by the endless techno-drivel spouted by genuine Apple fans. As I use screen magnification, I don't always follow posters' names as they're off screen. But that's feeble excuse, really :blush:

You did a great job of sounding genuine, so credit to you for that :D Had me fooled...

Haha! I was basically quoting what if seen on macrumours etc.

I do love the iPhone. I have owned one for years. I just don't automatically think anything with an apple logo on is great.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    The screen, I don't remember if they said anything about whether the technology behind the megapixels are any different.
    They spent almost 5 minutes on a technical presentation about the new screen technology! Brighter, better viewing angles, darker blacks, more accurate colors (sic):D:D
    Oh - and thinner!!
    But as for the camera, I would be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be better. Guess we'll see, won't we?
    And they spent about ANOTHER 5 minutes on the upgrades to the camera technology!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's all that needs to be said.

Had my iphone 4 for ages. Never not worked. Never let me down. Doesn't have a single scratch on it. Could run for years.

Annoyingly, Apple build in obsolescence with every IOS upgrade, so I don't really have a choice in the matter of buying a new iphone.

But I'm sure the iphone 6 will "just work", which is what makes their products so appealing to those who have them.

But that doesn't mean I was bowled over by the recent launch. Defo treading water going on.

So, run that by me again... Your phone that "just works" suddenly won't just work soon?

Android phones "just work" too - you've just got to put some thought into which one to get to meet your needs which means some degree of tech awareness is useful. For example, a Nexus will suffice for years as it gets Android updates for a long time and has no custom manufacturer UI, just pure Android. For techies, the thriving modding community also means those inclined to do so can flash newer versions of Android on very old devices should they so wish, long after the manufacturer has moved on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Except when they don't

Given the angst various well-documented glitches new iPhones and new updates of iOS have caused, you'd best not open that particular can of worms. Not to mention the whole cloud security woes of late.

All phones go wrong from time to time. The "just works" thing really stems from the fact you can pick one up and know that at least Apple will listen whereas the huge variety of devices available for Android means there are varying degrees of support and reliability - but those with any technical prowess at all are just fine. And spend less.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    People seem TOTALLY obsessed by specs. Yes some manufacturers are pushing these up just to have "bragging rights". I have yet to see much REAL benefit on a (still tiny) smartphone screen!

But when iPhone was 'king' retina was the best thing ever ever ever :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apple phones work .... Except when the batteries have problems .... Or the phone won't make calls if you hold it wrong ..... Or when the maps software takes you to random places.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iPhone+problem

If iphones 'just work' why does this page exist ?

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/contact/

The 'just work' is one of those last desperate 'apple speak' quotes that you hear from the (obviously never needed) Apple 'genuises' :p
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I've never really understood this need to replace phones that work just fine. If you're coming to the end of your contract, swap over to a SIM only deal and save a bundle. I've got a 5 too, and as long as it keeps working and I don't lose it, I'm not even considering replacing it for a least a couple of years.

And as for trying something new, I recently had an opportunity to live with an Android based phone for a little while. And it was quite exciting. There's a lot to like. And a few things I'd miss. So on the whole, there's absolutely no guarantee that my next phone will be an iPhone.

That's a good point and I will look into sim only deals :)
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly do go wrong. Anyone been to an Apple store and stood anywhere near the Genius bar?

Plenty of people with problems there. I know because I was there a month ago with an iPhone 5s to get it swapped for my dad because of the microphone problem. They didn't have ANY issue swapping the phone, but wouldn't admit that it was common (even when a search online seems to have no trouble finding people with problems).

But, I'll say one thing - you do get excellent service when something goes wrong. Even if staff pretend it's the first Apple product that's ever gone wrong, they'll deal with it professionally and you'll most likely walk out with a new (refurbished) phone and a smile on your face.

Looking around here, there are many shops that advertise not just phone repairs, but specifically iPhone repairs. So while they 'just work' they don't always do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    They certainly do go wrong. Anyone been to an Apple store and stood anywhere near the Genius bar?

Plenty of people with problems there. I know because I was there a month ago with an iPhone 5s to get it swapped for my dad because of the microphone problem. They didn't have ANY issue swapping the phone, but wouldn't admit that it was common (even when a search online seems to have no trouble finding people with problems).

But, I'll say one thing - you do get excellent service when something goes wrong. Even if staff pretend it's the first Apple product that's ever gone wrong, they'll deal with it professionally and you'll most likely walk out with a new (refurbished) phone and a smile on your face.

Looking around here, there are many shops that advertise not just phone repairs, but specifically iPhone repairs. So while they 'just work' they don't always do so.

Exactly. They are no better or no worse than other similar products. Most smartphones 'just work' but all smart phones will have occasional issues or build problems.
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since when was an Internet live stream an Apple "product".
    Clutching at straws.
    jonmorris wrote: »

It's true that all tech products fail sometimes. Nothing lasts forever. But, have you ever actually looked at some people's phones at the Genius Bar, or anywhere else for that matter? They look like they've been through the wash 5 times and dropped every time the owner tries to pick it up.

Apple stuff does just work. When ios 8 promises to talk to all your apple products when a call comes in, it will just work. No setting up, no messing about with intricate settings, nothing. It just works and that's the point. They make the user experience as intuitive as it can be without the features failing or not performing as it's advertised. They got it badly wrong with their maps app but apart from that, I can't think of another hardware or software implementation that doesn't "just work" seamlessly. Don't even bring antenna gate, most of the smart phones at the time had the same issue.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Must say, so far that seems to be the basis of most of the iPhone 6 stuff I've looked at.

"I'm comfortable with IOS and so I'm going to buy the next iteration of an IOS based product that becomes available".

Great. Knock yourself out.

I'm sure there are people still driving around in Morris Minors and using VHS video recorders who feel the same way, and good luck to them.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    SAME 8 MP camera, they've done something with Auto Focus or something, big whoop. You really would have thought they'd have upped this to 12MP now.

Im in no way being defensive of Apple, but realistically are any more than 8MP actually needed for the average smartphone user?
    The majority of photos taken via a smartphone these days are very rarely printed off and are mostly viewed either on the phone itself or posted to Facebook,Twitter & Instagram.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Im in no way being defensive of Apple, but realistically are any more than 8MP actually needed for the average smartphone user?
    The majority of photos taken via a smartphone these days are very rarely printed off and are mostly viewed either on the phone itself or posted to Facebook,Twitter & Instagram.
    I agree. Apple have added wavefront (instant) autofocus and, if I recall, better low light performance. These might be, in practice, more useful than adding pixels which the lens size cannot physically use!
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Something else just came to mind about the size of the camera.
    These days it seems the most common photo taken via a smartphone is a selfie, which most people are perfectly happy when not stood in front of a mirror to just use the front camera which only uses 1.2mp(iPhone) and 2mp (Galaxy S5).
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    It's ALL personal preference

I know there are other very decent phones etc out there, but it ALL really does come down to personal preference, what's perfect for my needs could possibly be useless to another or not quite suitable or upto the mark.

Where as for me, IOS or OSX devices are perfect for me, I like how they look, I like how they feel, but most importantly I like how they operate, very easy user friendly pieces of kit IMO that does absolutely everything I could possibly need them to do and more. The iPhones iPads & MacBooks I've had over the last 5 years have all been incredibly reliable, not one of them have broke nor have I ever had any technical problems with them, I literally have no need to consider changing from apple products to another why should I when considering what I've just mentioned above? So suitable for me, and the fact they all integrate together so well makes it all the more better for me, again imo.

New iPhone 6 design looks pretty decent to me, as do some of the new features and specs, the watch is outstanding, blows all others out the water.

It's all pricey stuff but if what they do and how they operate suits you to a T then imo it's value for money, I'm not Rich but I'm far from strapped for cash, so if I want to splash some money on upgrading some of the tech I've got then.....I can

New iPhone 6 won't cost me that much anyway as I'll sell my iPhone 5 for about £200-250 anyway meaning the new iPhone 6 will actually only cost me like anywhere from £330-£280 or there abouts.

All this stuff doesn't rule me either, I'm not buried in tech gadgets (although I do very much like my gadgets), I'm to busy most of the time, it's just nice to have quality and added enjoyment because of the ease of use when I do need to use them, and that is exactly what apple products have given me these past 5 years

It's my personnel preference :-)
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly going to pre order a 64gb iphone 6 tomorrow. Cant wait to get rid of this nexus 5.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Something else just came to mind about the size of the camera.
    These days it seems the most common photo taken via a smartphone is a selfie, which most people are perfectly happy when not stood in front of a mirror to just use the front camera which only uses 1.2mp(iPhone) and 2mp (Galaxy S5).

So people's tolerance of poor quality images might lead to fewer quality improvements in future? I can only hope not.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must say, so far that seems to be the basis of most of the iPhone 6 stuff I've looked at.

"I'm comfortable with IOS and so I'm going to buy the next iteration of an IOS based product that becomes available".

Great. Knock yourself out.

I'm sure there are people still driving around in Morris Minors and using VHS video recorders who feel the same way, and good luck to them.

That is pretty much why I stay with iOS. I'm used to it. And I like it. And I'm sure if old VHS recorders had the functionality iPhones do. People would still be using them.

I did have an android phone (Nexus 4) and sold it a week later to go back to my iPhone 5. Nothing against the phone. Or android as an OS. I just personally didn't like it.

And it's not that I don't like to tinker, or that I'm not tech savy. I've been building and repairing PC's for years. I taught myself how to aged 16 because I was bored. I just prefer iOS.

Wether I get the newest version of the iPhone remains to be seen. I don't like large phones. Another reason I sold the nexus 4. I found it too big. So I will no doubt find the new iPhone too big. At which point I'll move to android. Would I prefer to stay with iOS? Yes I would. But I'm not about to do that if the phone doesn't fit my needs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wether I get the newest version of the iPhone remains to be seen. I don't like large phones. Another reason I sold the nexus 4. I found it too big. So I will no doubt find the new iPhone too big. At which point I'll move to android. Would I prefer to stay with iOS? Yes I would. But I'm not about to do that if the phone doesn't fit my needs.
    I agree with you! I do hope Apple keep some smaller screen models in future years.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive apple fan. I've had every iPhone since the 3G. I currently have an iPhone 5. I'm the absolute opposite of an apple hater.

But what does this phone have to be impressed with?

A slight CPU upgrade. Mediocre battery. A mediocre screen. No ram upgrade. No camera upgrade. No increase in storage for the base model. No including a SD card slot.

I also realise apple has the advantage in the fact their software is created and Taylor's for their hardware so they will always have that advantage over android. Their hardware will always run the software perfectly, be lag free and generally just work.

But what is there that I even as an apple fan should be going 'wow' about?

Nobody is saying they're not decent phones. But for £540 people are perfectly entitled to want more than 'decent'.

I too am an Apple fan, I have quite a few expensive items of theirs. However, I have never been blown away by their phones.

What gets me is the hypocrisy on quite a number of the forums. People really should think before they write. Before the launch we had the Chinese guy doing a video of the new iPhone 6. One of the forums spent the entire day decrying this as a fake, the phone was butt ugly etc. etc. Turns out the video wasn't fake after all.

Suddenly when the keynote had finished this butt ugly phone was now a thing of beauty. Then there is the size - again lots of Apple users were lambasting Android phablets as the spawn of the devil, Apple users would never buy anything as large and tasteless as a phablet.

What a difference a day makes (as the song goes). We now have the spectre of Apple fanboys (and girls) almost wetting themselves, desperate to pull the trigger on the 6 and 6+

I am beginning to think Apple fans are the shallowest most fickle brass necked people on planet earth. They should be holding their heads in shame, what an embarrassment.

Not only are they fickle but I don't think they have an ounce of financial acumen between them. To go out and spend that sort of money on an item that's little different from the one they already own as though they were talking about a packet of sweets - absolute madness, there's no other way to describe it.