Options

"...with prostitutes..."

Comments

• Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Is it just me who thinks it's.... well kind of wrong that a leader in the upper house of our legislature, a lawmaker, is paying for illegal drugs, taking them, and is paying a prostitute for sex? Also illegal.
    It's not as if he's been issued a parking ticket or has paid his council tax a few days late.

There seems to be a very slapdash attitude to illegal drugs and prostitution?

How many people do you know that have had done illegal drugs? The laws around prostitution are stupid as well. If it was abusing kids or anything of that sort the book should be thrown at him but this all smells like a sting by someone who doesn't like him. He was right about Cameron and Salmond etc.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    How many people do you know that have had done illegal drugs? The laws around prostitution are stupid as well. If it was abusing kids or anything of that sort the book should be thrown at him but this all smells like a sting by someone who doesn't like him. He was right about Cameron and Salmond etc.

I don't know how many among my acquaintance have done illegal drugs. I'm guessing not a lot. And if they had, I'd guess it was when they were teenagers or early twenties, during the more experimental and reckless phase of life.
    That's different from a senior legislator doing it while pontificating on 'honourable' behaviour in our senate.

In the other thread on the politics forum the OP quoted the statistics that 1 in 25 people take cocaine at least once a year. He also conjectured that around 20% of the population takes class A and B drugs.

I've no idea whether that's accurate or not but if it is it totally puts away the idea that everyone has been a drug-user. I've never done it and neither has my o/h.
    And we're not some prudish wallflwer types. I've done my share of the 'scene' and him moreso, where drugs were available. But buying a dodgy substance off very dodgy people has never seemed a good idea to me, to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how many among my acquaintance have done illegal drugs. I'm guessing not a lot.
    In the other thread on the politics forum the OP quoted the statistics that 1 in 25 people take cocaine at least once a year. He also conjectured that around 20% of the population takes class A and B drugs.

I've no idea whether that's accurate or not but if it is it totally puts away the idea that everyone has been a drug-user. I've never done it and neither has my o/h.
    And we're not some prudish wallflower types. I've done my share of the 'scene' and him moreso, where drugs were available. But buying a dodgy substance off very dodgy people has never seemed a good idea to me, to be honest.

Drugs are widespread, especially cocaine. I don't know where you are living or who you know that hasn't done cannabis or cocaine or what scene you were on but that's not my experiences. The higher echelons of society are exactly where you would expect cocaine use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Drugs are widespread, especially cocaine. I don't know where you are living or who you know that hasn't done cannabis or cocaine or what scene you were on but that's not my experiences. The higher echelons of society are exactly where you would expect cocaine use.

Well I'm not 'higher echelons'.

I live in a provincial Welsh town, quite normal, rural, agricultural.

I suspect the metropolitan people fall into the usual trap of thinking everyone and everywhere is like them.
    Please give me some figures showing that the majority (or a significant percentage) of this country's population are regular cocaine/cannabis users.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beenbag wrote: »
    Hi Tegan, I hope you can clear things up for me. I have always thought that paying a prostitute for sex was illegal ? The sites I have looked at say the same, is there a loophole I don't know about?
    No. You were just misinformed. Its illegal for street walkers to tout for business, and for two girls to share an apartment as it constitutes a brothel. With the recent exception of Norn Iron (June 1st), consenting adults in the UK can go about their business legally as they always have..
  • Options
    BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidseven wrote: »
    No. You were just misinformed. Its illegal for street walkers to tout for business, and for two girls to share an apartment as it constitutes a brothel. With the recent exception of Norn Iron (June 1st), consenting adults in the UK can go about their business legally as they always have..

Thanks, david👍
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm not 'higher echelons'.

I live in a provincial Welsh town, quite normal, rural, agricultural.

I suspect the metropolitan people fall into the usual trap of thinking everyone and everywhere is like them.
    Please give me some figures showing that the majority (or a significant percentage) of this country's population are regular cocaine/cannabis users.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/05/-sp-drug-use-is-rising-in-the-uk-but-were-not-addicted
    More than 15 million Britons, nearly one in three of the adult population, have taken illegal drugs and the proportion of the nation who have ever taken drugs is increasing over time.

Nearly one in three British adults has taken an illegal substance and a fifth of those still do so, with 40% of drug takers in the higher echelons of society.

Most of the population doesn't live out in the sticks and drug use of cannibas or cocaine isn't particularly shocking.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Most of the lords and MP's will be regular users of cocaine, and probably prostitutes too.
    Who needs evidence?

We all know a bloody good chunk of them are on the Class A's, not just cocaine I might add.

Okay, maybe not a majority, not all MP's are oh so bad, but at least 50% of them let's say.
    I think you're incredibly naive.

Quoted for truth. These are just numbers plucked out of thin air based on nothing.

"Most" lords/MPs are regular users of cocaine
    "We" all know a good chunk are on the class As
    "At least 50%"

You're funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member

More than 15 million Britons, nearly one in three of the adult population, have taken illegal drugs and the proportion of the nation who have ever taken drugs is increasing over time.

Nearly one in three British adults has taken an illegal substance and a fifth of those still do so, with 40% of drug takers in the higher echelons of society.

Most of the population doesn't live out in the sticks and drug use of cannibas or cocaine isn't particularly shocking.
    So two thirds of people haven't taken drugs. Your point regarding 'most of the population' falls flat straight away.

One in three has tried (probably as a one-off or on a few occasions in their teens/ late twenties). And one fifth (20%) of the one third (33%) take drugs more regularly.
    If my Maths serves, that amounts to 0.06% of the whole population.

Oh and 'out in the sticks' is pretty affluent you know, with excellent levels of education and life expectancy.
    And I *do* think most people would be shocked/disapproving if they found out their neighbours, parents of little children etc were regular coke users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So two thirds of people haven't taken drugs. Your point regarding 'most of the population' falls flat straight away.

One in three has tried (probably as a one-off or on a few occasions in their teens/ late twenties). And one fifth (20%) of the one third (33%) take drugs more regularly.
    If my Maths serves, that amounts to 0.06% of the whole population.

Oh and 'out in the sticks' is pretty affluent you know, with excellent levels of education and life expectancy.
    And I *do* think most people would be shocked/disapproving if they found out their neighbours, parents of little children etc were regular coke users.
    The number of adults using illicit drugs in England and Wales rose by an estimated 230,000 to 2.7 million over the past year, crime survey figures show.

The increase was driven by more people saying they had used cocaine, ecstasy, LSD and ketamine. Nearly 1 million people – or 3% of adults – used class A drugs including powder cocaine, heroin and ecstasy in 2013/14.

The detailed results show that 3% of adults regard themselves as frequent drug users, meaning they take an illicit substance more than once a month. Frequent drug use is much more likely among men than women, among those who go often to pubs and nightclubs, and among those who live in deprived areas.

Gay or bisexual men are much more likely than straight men to take illicit drugs. A third of gay or bisexual men said they had used illicit drugs over the previous year, compared with 23% of gay or bisexual women, 11% of heterosexual men and 5% of heterosexual women.

Drug use is increasing and statistically not knowing someone who has done illegal drugs is very unlikely, provincial Welsh town or not.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Irrespective of that it's still wrong that a leader in the upper house of our legislature - a law maker - should be doing it; you seem to be missing that point which Welsh-lad brought up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irrespective of that it's still wrong that a leader in the upper house of our legislature - a law maker - should be doing it, you seem to be missing that point which Welsh-lad brought up.

We have an idiotic stance on drugs and prostitution. I can't really condemn the guy for doing things millions of adults get up to. It looks like a sting on him or he's upset powerful people. I don't think a lot of these rich and affluent people are going to bed at 10pm with a nice mug of Horlicks.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beenbag wrote: »
    Hi Tegan, I hope you can clear things up for me. I have always thought that paying a prostitute for sex was illegal ? The sites I have looked at say the same, is there a loophole I don't know about?

No loop hole, the only place over here that it is illegal is in NI. What is illegal is paying for sex when the girls forced to be a prostitute. Such as in sex trafficking instances. As I've said, the laws around prostitution are actually very very good. They're there to protect the public and the sex workers. It's been managed very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidseven wrote: »

Sorry mused your reply, thanks for putting it so eloquently
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was the video taken - and by whom? Does anyone know.?
    It was in his own flat so I can't see that the Sun could have bugged it first with hidden cameras as they could have with a hotel room for instance.
    It surely must have been taken by one of the girls but they were wearing too little to conceal a camera.
    Unless he knew he was being filmed all the time and went along with it - but that seems unlikely/
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Drug use is increasing and statistically not knowing someone who has done illegal drugs is very unlikely, provincial Welsh town or not.

I've lived in various cities and small towns and know a couple of people who probably smoked cannabis at one time. Certainly never heard of anyone using hard drugs such as cocaine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I've lived in various cities and small towns and know a couple of people who probably smoked cannabis at one time. Certainly never heard of anyone using hard drugs such as cocaine.

In South Wales at least I know drugs other than weed (had to use that as my phone insists on saying cannibalism which a whoooole other issue :p) are rife. A lot are coming through from Bristol. It happens.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    In South Wales at least I know drugs other than weed (had to use that as my phone insists on saying cannibalism which a whoooole other issue :p) are rife. A lot are coming through from Bristol. It happens.

Well I am pretty open minded but cannibalism is taking things too far even for me. :D
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in south Wales some of the most commonly used drugs are anabolic steroids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in south Wales some of the most commonly used drugs are anabolic steroids.

Ahhh the valley boys, gotta love them :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am pretty open minded but cannibalism is taking things too far even for me. :D

Agreed. Human flesh just doesn't make for a nice spag boll, I'll stick with the beef mince :)
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    How was the video taken - and by whom? Does anyone know.?
    It was in his own flat so I can't see that the Sun could have bugged it first with hidden cameras as they could have with a hotel room for instance.
    It surely must have been taken by one of the girls but they were wearing too little to conceal a camera.
    Unless he knew he was being filmed all the time and went along with it - but that seems unlikely/

Doesn't anyone know ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Depends what we mean by 'know' I suppose.
    You seem to be depicting a society in which it is very unusual for people not to be illegal drug users, whereas the statistics you've shown (even the latter lot) show that it is a peripheral activity.

The figures seem to show an increase at both ends of the social spectrum, with illegal drug taking being relatively more common among the wealthiest and among the more deprived.

For the overwhelming majority of people - the vast swathe of the population somewhere in the middle; the people doing the daily grind, raising their children, paying their taxes, and keeping this country on its feet; for them, regular illegal drug abuse (coke etc) is something they simply don't do.
    And that is a fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what we mean by 'know' I suppose.
    You seem to be depicting a society in which it is very unusual for people not to be illegal drug users, whereas the statistics you've shown (even the latter lot) show that it is a peripheral activity.

The figures seem to show an increase at both ends of the social spectrum, with illegal drug taking being relatively more common among the wealthiest and among the more deprived.

For the overwhelming majority of people - the vast swathe of the population somewhere in the middle; the people doing the daily grind, raising their children, paying their taxes, and keeping this country on its feet; for them, regular illegal drug abuse (coke etc) is something they simply don't do.
    And that is a fact.

15 million isn't 'peripheral' and I would guess it is a conservative number. Drugs are widespread and usage is increasing, that is what the figures say. To pretend they aren't because Mr and Mrs Ford Focus aren't doing lines on the way down to Asda isn't a credible argument.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I don't know anyone that I know has done illegal drugs, but I know I suspect someone I know has done illegal drugs, but who that someone is in particular, I don't know.