Options

Is Paphos in Cyprus nice?

Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
Forum Member
Thinking of booking a holiday there - 20 minutes way from the harbour and nightlife.

Is it nice? Is it safe?

We're a couple in our early forties - not bothered about clubbing, just want good weather and nice food really.

Any tips and/or opinions welcomed please.

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Depends what you are looking for. It is a big bustling resort, not my cup of tea but it's popular for a reason.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking of booking a holiday there - 20 minutes way from the harbour and nightlife.

Is it nice? Is it safe?

We're a couple in our early forties - not bothered about clubbing, just want good weather and nice food really.

Any tips and/or opinions welcomed please.

Yes it's very nice, especially for the things you mention. Don't know when you are thinking of going but this time of the year it bakes temperatures over 40 degrees. I have been to Paphos in November and yes it is dark by 5.00pm but the days are warm and sunny, far less people too:)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Yes it's very nice, especially for the things you mention. Don't know when you are thinking of going but this time of the year it bakes temperatures over 40 degrees. I have been to Paphos in November and yes it is dark by 5.00pm but the days are warm and sunny, far less people too:)

I have been in November as well, and it was so cold the sun may have been out but the sea breeze was chilling, enough to keep you off the beach or use the pools. The winter months you just take the risk that the weather maybe good, but maybe bad as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thinking of going last two weeks in September. Only time the OH can get off work so I was thinking Cyprus so I'd still have the chance of fairly decent weather.

When you say "big & bustling", is that a bad thing? I don't want to be going somewhere that's like Blackpool with sun! *shudder* I thought that was Ayia Napa....?!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Thinking of going last two weeks in September. Only time the OH can get off work so I was thinking Cyprus so I'd still have the chance of fairly decent weather.

When you say "big & bustling", is that a bad thing? I don't want to be going somewhere that's like Blackpool with sun! *shudder* I thought that was Ayia Napa....?!

You'll find most Cypriots avoid July/September like the plague and go home for visits etc, October onwards, September tends to be absolutely baking. I think October half term is one of the most expensive times to fly to Cyprus because that's when Cypriots that live here, or in the area I live anyway, tend to go.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you 20 minutes north (towards Tombs of the Kings Road) or 20 minutes east (towards the airport)?

The bus north, towards Coral Bay, gets packed, and it can be difficult to get on coming into Paphos. East the buses are quieter, or it's a pleasant walk.

Paphos is a nice town, with plenty of places to eat out. There are also a lot of interesting excursions, especially to North Cyprus.

Last time we were there was a late September, and it was extremely hot, even in the evenings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You'll find most Cypriots avoid July/September like the plague and go home for visits etc, October onwards, September tends to be absolutely baking. I think October half term is one of the most expensive times to fly to Cyprus because that's when Cypriots that live here, or in the area I live anyway, tend to go.

Oh, I love the sun so that's perfect for me.

Sidenote - when did you move to Cyprus?! :o
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Are you 20 minutes north (towards Tombs of the Kings Road) or 20 minutes east (towards the airport)?

The bus north, towards Coral Bay, gets packed, and it can be difficult to get on coming into Paphos. East the buses are quieter, or it's a pleasant walk.

Paphos is a nice town, with plenty of places to eat out. There are also a lot of interesting excursions, especially to North Cyprus.

Last time we were there was a late September, and it was extremely hot, even in the evenings.

The place I'm looking at is on Tomb of the Kings Road. Hopefully, I'll be ok to walk it - I tend to thrive in the dry heat on holiday - just this horrid, muggy stuff we get here I can't be dealing with.

Does it still have an authentic feel? Do you get much hassle to go into restaurants?

And is it safe? As in just wandering around, you're not likely to get attacked or anything? I'm not talking terrorism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, I love the sun so that's perfect for me.

Sidenote - when did you move to Cyprus?! :o

The place I'm looking at is on Tomb of the Kings Road. Hopefully, I'll be ok to walk it - I tend to thrive in the dry heat on holiday - just this horrid, muggy stuff we get here I can't be dealing with.

Does it still have an authentic feel? Do you get much hassle to go into restaurants?

And is it safe? As in just wandering around, you're not likely to get attacked or anything? I'm not talking terrorism.

Just reread that - no I haven't moved there, but there's a lot of Greek Cypriots in the area I live in, sorry, that was a bit confusing when I read it back :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just reread that - no I haven't moved there, but there's a lot of Greek Cypriots in the area I live in, sorry, that was a bit confusing when I read it back :blush:

Aha. Just read it back and it's definitely me that's got confused 🙈

So, basically, you mean like Peter Andre....right? :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

It's a big old place, not like Blackpool though. I always use Tripadvisor restaurant listings as a guide to how big a resort is and Paphos has 458 listed. That is a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a big old place, not like Blackpool though. I always use Tripadvisor restaurant listings as a guide to how big a resort is and Paphos has 458 listed. That is a lot.

That's a great tip.

I've been to Altinkum in Turkey and hated it. That was like Blackpool with sun. Too English (everywhere serving a Sunday roast with apple crumble) too much hassle everywhere you go (physically being dragged into restaurants) and just a dump really. A long strip of restaurants, property shops and fake goods.

I just want to feel like I'm in Cyprus. It looks lovely online - good weather and lots of interesting things to do (OH is a bit of a culture vulture)
  • Options
    collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a great tip.

I've been to Altinkum in Turkey and hated it. That was like Blackpool with sun. Too English (everywhere serving a Sunday roast with apple crumble) too much hassle everywhere you go (physically being dragged into restaurants) and just a dump really. A long strip of restaurants, property shops and fake goods.

I just want to feel like I'm in Cyprus. It looks lovely online - good weather and lots of interesting things to do (OH is a bit of a culture vulture)

Stay away from Coral Bay then - it's very English. We stayed in a village about 30 minutes from Pathos, and it was very nice. Hiring a car is cheap and they drive on the correct side of the road, so it's easy.
    The archaeology in Pathos is stunning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aha. Just read it back and it's definitely me that's got confused 🙈

So, basically, you mean like Peter Andre....right? :D

If he lived near me, I'd have moved :o (although I don't live too far from the best know Greek Cypriot Elvis impersonator - jealous eh? :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    collincn wrote: »
    Stay away from Coral Bay then - it's very English. We stayed in a village about 30 minutes from Pathos, and it was very nice. Hiring a car is cheap and they drive on the correct side of the road, so it's easy.

Just checked on a map and Coral Bay appears to be a safe enough distance away. Thanks for the top though 👍
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Paphos. Lots of archaeology if that's what you like. Try to take a trip up into the mountains - beautiful scenery, amazing monasteries.

Or it's just nice for a wander round. No hassle whatsoever when I was there.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    collincn wrote: »

Yes I would agree with this. I have stayed there 3 times now, there are several nice quiet hotels in Pathos itself. I have never felt that it was overbusy but some of the restaurants are very expensive Last time we were there we went to a posher restaurant and the cheapest bottle of wine on the menu was over £40 ! Valley of the Kings is a must see, it's like something out of Indiana Jones. There are some wonderful ancient ruins nearby and as has already been said car hire is quite cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Turns out I've been a bit of a dick and was looking at September 2016! I nearly booked it earlier as well! Not sure how it happened, as I definitely didn't input that, but looks like the one I'd set my heart on isn't available when we can go this year. I feel like crying! 😭

Back to the drawing board! *sigh*
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Paphos, I went there last March for a week and stayed at Kefalos Beach Village which was excellent. Would definitely recommend it.
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was in Paphos 3 weeks ago, found it a bit Meh. Huge sea front, nice harbour at one end, with large sprawling All inclusive hotels at the other. In between are typical touristy pubs like The Red Lion, The George And Dragon and a host of similar places doing all day English Breakfasts and such like. It was too reminiscent of Costa Del Shag for me. Limassol is similar but far bigger. Avoid Ayia Napa like the plague unless it's club 18-30 you're after. Protaras and Pernera are much more tranquil if you want a bit of proper R & R (we stayed in Pernera, had a lovely time). Troodos is well pretty and worth a trip.

On a further note, a lot of the Restaurants, Bars and Tavernas in these resorts are going bust at an alarming rate, because All Inclusive Hotels are utterly decimating the local economy. One taverna owner we spoke to told us that some days they're lucky to get 10 or 12 covers in the evening now, due to an All Inclusive Hotel opening at the start of this season.

Anyway if you do go have a large KEO for me :)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Paphos and the weather at the end of Sepf should be great.
    Paphos is a big resort so if you wanted something smaller but close by, look at Polis or Latchi