Options

The repeat "Very Poor" voters (NOT a flame in anyway)

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the problem with voting 'excellent' early on in the series means that if you then think a later episode is even better, then there is no higher option available to reflect this.

Is there ever an end of season poll, where each episode can be voted for ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the poll is a total waste of time,with the majority incapable of voting objectively.

its such a waste of time,i haven't bothered checking,,,but i'd be surprised if any episode had a winning vote of less than "excellent"

Agreed, the fact that 'Average' is counted as a positive vote is indicative of the less than objective nature of the polls.

'Good' or 'Not good' should be how it is, but it's almost like the people 'running' these polls are desperate to make out that it's great when they have no need to. This forum is overloaded with 'fan-boys' that will prevent that happening.

To the OP :-

Really, it's none of your business why people vote 'Very Poor'.

Perhaps they don't enjoy it, but watch as they have a vain hope that it'll get better (like I did before this season). I used to vote negatively for most of season's 2 and 3 because that was my opinion at that time. This season has been great and my votes have changed accordingly.

So it CAN happen. People CAN think the show is awful and when (in their opinion) it improves, that opinion can change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addy2Hotty wrote: »
    Perhaps they don't enjoy it, but watch as they have a vain hope that it'll get better (like I did before this season). I used to vote negatively for most of season's 2 and 3 because that was my opinion at that time. This season has been great and my votes have changed accordingly.

So it CAN happen. People CAN think the show is awful and when (in their opinion) it improves, that opinion can change.
    Agreed. I disliked the majority of seasons 2 and 3 too, and yet have only voted 4 out of the 12 so far this season below average (PiC, Doc's Daughter, Midnight & Stolen Earth). This is damn good going IMO.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a 13 option "Best Episode" poll,,,opened a couple of weeks after the finale,giving people time to digest the series,would be the best indicator of genuine opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    The poles do not mean anything people, vote 'excellent' all the time when clearly some are better than others - so it works both ways:

The polls don't show if an epsiode is good just whether you liked it or not.

That's why you get some sycophants who love everything and some people who vote poor for everything.

as an example I don't know how anyone can compare turn left to the last episode, yet I bet a lot of the regular simply voted the sake way (be it excellent or poor)

I understand your point...
    And in all honesty I was quite annoyed with this weeks poll, because there were some people voting in all catogories before the episode began...and I felt that this cheapend my vote which I gave after watching the episode...

However on the subject on for example voting in the similar catogories for different episode....well then I am a culprit in this that for the last three episodes I voted excellent....and your right these three episodes are very different from each other....but I still stick by my vote...not because I would vote excellent no matter what...and in each of those threads I gave my reasons for it.....

What I am trying to say is that I found Midnight Excellent because I found it to be very different to what we have seen in this series so far, and I thought the acting was beyond excellent from all cocerned, and I geniunly found it creepy due to its claustraphobic atmoshphere...
    I gave Turn Left Excellent, because I found it very moving, Tate was beyond excellent, I missed the Doctor just like the characters did, which I felt they wanted us to feel, and it had me gripped, and found it not very predictable, and most importantly for me it wasn't overshadowed by the appearance of Rose, which I was worried about, the fact that RTD had the guts to place his most loved charater into the background...all that made me want to vote more than just good
    Stolen Earth....I enjoyed every minute of it, I loved all the references, all the in jokes, it made me sad, it made me cry, it made me love wilf even more, it restored my faith in the Daleks, Davros sent chills down my spine, it had me jumping up and down, and the ending threw me off my chair...those are the reasons I felt that I needed to give it excellent

All those reasons are different...and that just goes to show that I love the variety of the series that each episode provides a different reason for me to love it, its not all the samey for me, in fact I would say that this year the two of the few episodes that I would have voted for less than excellent, but didn't as I wasn't a memeber of the forum at the time are Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, even though I still enjoyed them, they had a very similar feel to them that I have seen in Moffat's episodes of the past, so it stopped me from giving them the excellent vote....

There is no bench mark, there never can be, because we all enjoy things for different reasons, if there are people who genuinly vote excellent or very poor, its because for them thats what the episode deserves, but each time it is likely that it is for different reasons....Just like you would vote for a particular party, and your friend may vote for them as well, but the reasons are very likely to differ, why???? Because shock horror:eek: we are all different!:)

No offence intended:)
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have different opinions, which is reflected in the polls, and people are entitled to hold different opinions without being attacked for doing so. If some people have voted "very poor" every week this series, maybe it's just that they just think this has been a bad season and not that they hate New Who in general, as Addy2Hotty points out very eloquently above. Personally I think this has been the weakest season of Who since its return. I've only voted "very poor" for one episode, as it happens (The Unicorn and the Wasp, which I absolutely hated) and, in fact, consider two of the season's episodes (Planet of the Ood and Midnight) to be "excellent". On the whole, though, I've found much of this season to be average at best and hope that the extended break between seasons proper and a fresh production team will rejuvenate the series I love so much.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the OP :-

Really, it's none of your business why people vote 'Very Poor'.
    What a strange comment.

Firstly of course it isn't, but then if peoples opinions were of no business to anyone else there really wouldn't be a reason for the Digital Spy forum would there?

And secondly did I ask anyone to explain themselves? Did I demand they set down exactly why they have that opinion?

No I didn't.

I just wondered if after four seasons of being disappointed would they continue to watch.

(And no, I never said they couldn't...)

[Why oh why don't people actually read a post before they start being abusive?]
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I just wondered if after four seasons of being disappointed would they continue to watch.

But is it the same people being disappointed episode after episode? You seem to assume it is. Like I said, I voted "very poor" for The Unicorn and the Wasp, others voted "excellent"; I voted "excellent" for Midnight, others voted "very poor". I'd be surprised if this pattern of loving some stories and hating others hasn't been the same over the past four seasons. If anyone has been continually disappointed over four seasons then, sure, they really should have come to the conclusion by now that New Who isn't for them! :D But I just wonder how many DS forum members have hated every single episode since 2005...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    But is it the same people being disappointed episode after episode? You seem to assume it is. Like I said, I voted "very poor" for The Unicorn and the Wasp, others voted "excellent"; I voted "excellent" for Midnight, others voted "very poor". I'd be surprised if this pattern of loving some stories and hating others hasn't been the same over the past four seasons. If anyone has been continually disappointed over four seasons then, sure, they really should have come to the conclusion by now that New Who isn't for them! :D But I just wonder how many DS forum members have hated every single episode since 2005...

exactly the same point i was making earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange comment.

Firstly of course it isn't, but then if peoples opinions were of no business to anyone else there really wouldn't be a reason for the Digital Spy forum would there?

And secondly did I ask anyone to explain themselves? Did I demand they set down exactly why they have that opinion?

No I didn't.

(And no, I never said they couldn't...)

[Why oh why don't people actually read a post before they start being abusive?]

Abusive? Are you having a laugh? I'd assume you'd never leave your house if that's what you class as 'abuse'.

[I guess you didn't read the rest of my post, otherwise you'd have had the answer to your question.]
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    No offence intended:)

none taken!

I agree and that's why I think the poles are useless

ETA: except at plumbing :o

:D
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abusive? Are you having a laugh? I'd assume you'd never leave your house if that's what you class as 'abuse'.

[I guess you didn't read the rest of my post, otherwise you'd have had the answer to your question.]

So you wouldn't class "It's none of your business" as abuse, fair enough.

Would you therefore class it as polite and well mannered?

As for the rest of your post of course I read it but it didn't give me the answer to my question. It gave me your answer to my question which isn't to say it's everyone's answer to my question. Others may have different views to your own (shocking I know).

An answer you could have happily given without the "none of your business" line by the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for the rest of your post of course I read it but it didn't give me the answer to my question. It gave me your answer to my question which isn't to say it's everyone's answer to my question. Others may have different views to your own (shocking I know).

An answer you could have happily given without the "none of your business" line by the way.

I think what the OP was trying to say is how people vote on the polls is no-one else's business except their own. They might vote very poor one week but not the next..but it doesn't make them any less of a fan than you who might vote excellent every week or I whose votes for episodes over the past four series covers the spectrum available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably got nothing to do with the actual programme. It's probably the person who only has one TV set in their house and the other occupants want to watch Dr Who but they don't like it. Or some random FM who likes to vote in polls in the opposite case to the majority. It does happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A plain answer to a question. You've decided the tone of it. If your own interpretation of my comments offends you, then there's not much I can do.

It's none of your business why people vote the way they do. I'd imagine you stand outside polling booths on election day asking the same thing. I wonder if you'd accuse someone telling you 'its none of your business' in that scenario as being abusive - or whether they'd accuse you of being the same.
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tab wrote: »
    the problem with voting 'excellent' early on in the series means that if you then think a later episode is even better, then there is no higher option available to reflect this.

Is there ever an end of season poll, where each episode can be voted for ?

I refer you to my post in another thread...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=25100936&postcount=1375
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »

thanks for that, but you are encouraging people to vote before they have seen them all, so how can they judge each one in comparison to others?
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tab wrote: »
    thanks for that, but you are encouraging people to vote before they have seen them all, so how can they judge each one in comparison to others?

No I'm not. I'm encouraging people to vote for the first three series' episodes now, and later in the year to vote again and include the series four episodes at that point. :)

If you mean the bit about it not mattering if you haven't seen all the episodes, that's simply because people start watching at different times in the history of the series, and I don't want them to feel discouraged if they happen to have not seen Series 1 for example.

If people were asked to vote for their favourite song of all time, do you think they shouldn't be allowed to take part unless they've heard every song ever written? :D

It's the same thing here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people will go with "Very Poor" simply to p*ss the fans off, this is particularly true of those who voted before the episode had even aired.

One just has to accept that, just as in RL, there are those who wander these pages solely for the purpose of reducing your enjoyment, or to oppose your opinion simply because it helps them cope better with their friendless little lives.

I'm not a hardened Whovian, but I do recognise defective personalities when I see them.

Edit: To reiterate that this observation is directed only at those who vote prior to screening.
  • Options
    RobWolfRobWolf Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    To quote Vic Reeves' recurring catchphrase in 'Big Night Out':

"VERY POOR!" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fumplet wrote: »
    Edit: To reiterate that this observation is directed only at those who vote prior to screening.
    Does that include those who vote "excellent" before screening - as there are more of them? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Yes I accept that - were all GEEKS! ;)

and proud:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    Does that include those who vote "excellent" before screening - as there are more of them? :p

Of course it does, both are equally mental IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fumplet wrote: »
    Of course it does, both are equally mental IMO.
    Totally. But I meant are they there for the "purpose of reducing your enjoyment".