Atos Medical- what to expect

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Any advice would be great

Comments

• Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Expect a load of bewildering questions probably not relevant to whatever illness you have at all.
    If you are going for mental illness then you will fail unless you make a HUGE point of all your problems and basically 'play the game' . because that's what it is these days.
    There's loads of guides and advice on Google.

How White Dee manages to get away with it I will never know ...
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    My advice would be to read up on the ESA descriptors and to make an honest assessment of which apply to you and how many points you should get. If you have medical evidence that shows that a descriptor applies (eg you cannot walk or self propel a wheelchair for 50 metres) then refer the examiner to that evidence. Hopefully you have already submitted as much supporting evidence as you could gather.

Whilst I think that the test is tougher for people with mental health, invisible and fluctuating conditions, it is certainly not true that you have to "play the game" in order to receive an ESA award. The most important advice is that you should be honest about how your condition(s) affects you. Yes, Atos get it wrong on far too many occasions (15% of all decisions) but don't go in there assuming that they will get it wrong and turn down your claim. You should never go in there thinking about how to play the game or exaggerating your condition as firstly that is obviously the wrong thing to do and secondly it is likely that they will soon see through you. I assume that you will be taking someone with you to the assessment.

I hope that you receive a fair assessment and a fair decision, but don't forget that there is still the option of reconsideration and appeal if required.
  • Options
    rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to let them know in advance that you want to audio record the assessment. You're well within your rights to do so and this will be beneficial for you if they downplay any symptoms you mentioned to them.

I requested this for a family member after the first assessor gave a score of 0 points. 2 weeks later at the recorded session the appeals assessor gave 16 points. They knew I would throw the book at them if they misrepresented the facts.

Also what Richievilla said above. The criteria and points are listed in a PDF on the interenet (DWP site I think). I disagree with Richie with regards to playing the game though; it has to be played. ATOS are measured by their ability to get people 'fit for work' and they will try their best to make sure you are, regardless of ailments.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I see that ATOS are seeking to hand their contract back to the government early.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26287199
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can have someone with you that will be a bonus.
    I've supported some of my mental health clients to ATOS and I've come back feeling small let alone my clients I'm supporting.

A lot of the questions will seem random and unrelated to your illness, these are used to trip you up so just be as honest as possible.

For mental illness the advice I always give is to talk; say exactly what is going on in your head because otherwise they will have no idea, it's not like a pain you can describe you need to go into as much detail as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I fear I'm doomed

As a severe mental health suffer one day is different from the next, there is no typical day.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Demand a recorded assessment, that way you have a record of what was asked and what was said, that way what ever atos write down on their computer has to match what has been said. At the end of the assessment, you get a copy of what has been said on CD
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    I fear I'm doomed

As a severe mental health suffer one day is different from the next, there is no typical day.

Basically as soon as you walk through the door, you have to assume you will be found fit to do something. To save time, I'd probably make some enquiries about what sort of paperwork you need for an appeal before you attend the medical - at least you can get it submitted a lot quicker that way.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I fear I'm doomed

There is as you say, no such thing as a typical day for anyone as all days are different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear I'm doomed

You have to tell them exactly how you feel at your worst, you need to explain not just how you feel but how it affects you.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I fear I'm doomed

You never know the work related group might actually help you
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    You never know the work related group might actually help you

has it ever helped anyone ?!
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I fear I'm doomed

Oh dear.

As someone with a mental health problem (no matter what it is) you can probably expect a rough ride. That's probably not what you want to hear, but you need to be prepared.

The questions are geared towards what you are physically capable of. If you can walk unaided, lift things and take care of your personal hygiene they will be gunning for you.

I have a mental health problem and scored zero in the ATOS assessment. Benefits stopped.
  • Options
    stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Oh dear.

As someone with a mental health problem (no matter what it is) you can probably expect a rough ride. That's probably not what you want to hear, but you need to be prepared.

The questions are geared towards what you are physically capable of. If you can walk unaided, lift things and take care of your personal hygiene they will be gunning for you.

I have a mental health problem and scored zero in the ATOS assessment. Benefits stopped.

sorry to hear that, which benefits were you receiving?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,421
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Oh dear.

If that is the case and you wish to appeal/get advice then I suggest getting help and support from any of the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau (plug in your postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm), local council benefits advice unit or community law centre depending upon what is available locally.

Links:
    https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit
    http://wikisend.com/download/643796/esa_mental_Feb_2012.pdf
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't go.

Get a letter from your Dr describing your condition and how it impairs you to the point you can't leave the house unaided etc.

Then book a home visit. Ask someone else to do this for you.

If they ask you for a best day scenario, don't describe it, talk about how debilitiating your condition is and how it limits your daily life.

Make sure there is someone with you during the home visit and record everything they say.

I've read many of your posts Mintbro and can only wish you well xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Don't go.

Get a letter from your Dr describing your condition and how it impairs you to the point you can't leave the house unaided etc.

If they ask you for a best day scenario, don't describe it, talk about how debilitiating your condition is and how it limits your daily life.

Make sure there is someone with you during the home visit and record everything they say.

Yes, you have to get a doctor's recommendation or be 90 mins away from an ATOS assessment centre via one way public transport travel in order to get an ATOS home visit. It is certainly worth considering because the visiting ATOS assessors are invariably proper medical doctors so claimants are likely to get a better quality, and thus fairer, assessment although that's not absolutely guaranteed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If that is the case and you wish to appeal/get advice then I suggest getting help and support from any of the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau (plug in your postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm), local council benefits advice unit or community law centre depending upon what is available locally.

Links:

Thankyou for your message
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Don't go.

Thanks

I'm really not looking forward to it.Surely it would be far better for this sort of thing to be carried out by your gp
  • Options
    19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother recently had this.

Basically expect to be assessed from the minute you walk in the door, ie even in the waiting room.

Be truthful on how it effects your routine and daily life.

Good luck
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this has been said already but it's really important that you're familiar with the descriptors and the points. You need to score 15 in order to be judged unfit for work so you need to have worked out in advance what points you think you should be awarded in the different categories, and be able to produce supporting evidence.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any advice would be great

A quick Google search shows that you might find this forum useful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankyou for your message

At your service and I hope that things work out for you and for forum member Flat Matt.

Incidentally, there's quite a bit of advice about appeals in this thread here if anyone wants to have a look: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1293271
  • Options
    Forum Member

Links:

Too late in my case.

I was assessed by ATOS and lost my benefits about 3 years ago. Fortunately, my health has improved markedly since that time and I've been in work for the last year.

I still struggle with my bipolar, but I'm just about managing to hold it together. Having said that, I have lost the plot and walked out of my job twice, but my employer has been understanding enough to take me back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I'm really not looking forward to it.Surely it would be far better for this sort of thing to be carried out by your gp

This is the problem with ATOS assessments. The opinions of your GP and other medical professionals who are treating you are completely ignored and overturned by a person who meets you once.

The whole thing is a disgrace.