This commerative Sun to every household

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno I think Ant and Dec deserved it more than the Queen and Prince William. At least they worked to get where they are.
    I received my copy of the paper and then I got another bloody copy today. It is just full of sickly, crap nationalistic nonsense.
    You could always try sticking it up on eBay :D

Guess they had some spare copies left over when Merseyside posties refused to deliver them.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Snap, :D the posties threatened to strike in order to boycott the delivery and won!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-27761336

Since when has it been up to the postman to pick and choose what they deliver? They may not agree to its contents but that doesn't give them the right to decide on behalf of the customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Since when has it been up to the postman to pick and choose what they deliver? They may not agree to its contents but that doesn't give them the right to decide on behalf of the customers.
    I doubt they've received any challenges or complaints so far.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine went straight into the recycle bin. My poor postie's hands were full of ink. He wasn't happy dragging his trolly full of The Suns, I can tell you. ;-)
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/job-profile/public-sector-jobs/postman-postwoman-job-description

Postmen/women don’t carry bags heavier than 16kg but you may have three or four bags weighing you down. Good news is, you aren't expected to carry it all in one hand, you can deliver the post on foot with the help of a trolley or on a bicycle if you need it. Bigger parcels are delivered separately in a small van.

They can also store them in those grey boxes located next to some post boxes, I always wondered what they were for until one day I saw a postie putting his bags in one. Our old postie used to get someone to drive him to his flat and he would put his bags there and go back when his bag was empty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    It is on this forum, where there is a sort of "Scum-Off", with posters seemingly trying to outdo one another with the spittle-flecked declarations of hatred and ever-more imaginative things they have done with the paper. :D

I see your point, some people are going over the top.

But I really wouldn't be happy to have a copy of the Sun - or any other tabloid - forced on me either.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, who gives a shit? Are some of you really as offended as you sound? It's just a free feckin paper ffs!
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Have just received mine, it's not a proper copy but I have read it and will now go and get my free bottle of Coke.:D

I missed the bottle of coke offer but I saw the one about the free England St George flag - 3ft X 2ft no less - if you buy Saturday's paper. Here's my chance to join my neighbour across the street with his footy drapery. :D
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    And you are going to go to all that trouble. That's 12 envelopes that have to be addressed and posted. Just throw it away, preferably recycled.

Yup, I most certainly will do.

The reason for people getting so worked up about this is a matter of principle based on what utter crap The Sun is and what harm it has done to hundreds or thousands of people since Rupert bought it in 1969.

Frankly, with all the cr*p that the papers, especially The Mail and the Sun, have done, my principles are not to simply let them continue to get away with it.

It may not have much effect, but it will certainly make me feel better about myself and teach them that not everyone would even want a free copy of this paper.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    I was surprised to see an article by Tony Parsons, I thought he made a career out of being left wing or was the money on offer too tempting?:o:confused:

Miliband's promotion of the rag is contemptible.
    >:(

Miliband is contemptible:D
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who doesn't care, flicked through it, read a couple of articles and then put it on the coffee table without getting outraged?!
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't care, flicked through it, read a couple of articles and then put it on the coffee table without getting outraged?!

For god sake, if you know nothing about Liverpool or care nothing about Liverpool then you might not care. Why do you have to say that in such a patronising way like the rest of us are 2 headed aliens doing something bizarre compared to you?
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    Using your argument means the boycott of the Sun is nonsense as no one from that day works on it.

I never presented an argument of mine, I was questioning the argument of those who boycott everything that Murdoch owns simply because of his news business.

Read before you judge.
    Forum Member
    It's been on my porch floor all day so I took a look. The front page was bad enough. ie the caption 'This is England' together with pics of the Royals, some politicos and a bunch of celebrity chancers. What a sad state we have come to if we think a bunch of celebs represents England.
    It wouldn't have been so bad if they had put up a pic of ordinary peeps. Because that's England mate, not the likes of David Cameron and Simon Cowell. Unbelievable.

Or what about truly great Britons who have contributed something to society? People like Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Robert Stephenson, John Logie Baird etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Or what about truly great Britons who have contributed something to society? People like Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Robert Stephenson, John Logie Baird etc?
    The surviving descendants of Robert Louis Stevenson and Baird might complain just a little about being lumped in with a bunch of English people. George Stephenson maybe.

They could post everyone mentioned in the famous Bjørge Lillellien football commentary from 1981.
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    that must have been from pettyanoraks.com

No, a Facebook group.

And what does that say about you? You're petty enough to post a comment stating that another comment is petty! Are far as petty anoraks go, of which I am not (so my argument here can't be used back on me), you're off the scale! You're into full OCD panic-driven hysteria!
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For god sake, if you know nothing about Liverpool or care nothing about Liverpool then you might not care. Why do you have to say that in such a patronising way like the rest of us are 2 headed aliens doing something bizarre compared to you?

Calm down, calm down.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    in fact, it will A) cause lots more work for Royal Mail with no extra revenue and
    B) not cost The Sun/News International a penny. They'll just refuse the charges and not get the mail.

Aha, but Royal Mail will recoup the costs from The Sun. They can't from the sender because the sender will leave no identity trail. And they won't let a matter of more than "a few newspapers" rest.
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    Any paper that prints these filthy lies should be closed down >:(>:(>:(

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm

Steady on, those are people's jobs you're talking about!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Aha, but Royal Mail will recoup the costs from The Sun. They can't from the sender because the sender will leave no identity trail. And they won't let a matter of more than "a few newspapers" rest.

only if its sent to a freepost address. Otherwise the Sun is not obliged to receive the post or pay for it.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, most of the popuiation have moved past the horror of tragic events with relative ease. I very much doubt the Sun are seeing this as a disaster; its great marketing towards their target audience, who still buy it in spades. The fact that it will land on a few OUTRAGED folks doormats who feel the need to moan about it online is unlikely to worry anyone working for them.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I can't be bothered to be outraged by the delivery of a rag I never read. I just put it straight into the recycling bin.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    So, just throw it away and don't read it. You aren't being charged for it.
    I'd rather not have unsolicited items of mail sent through my letterbox or indeed be told not to criticise The Sun for their abhorrent actions to secure sales and publicity.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,977
    Forum Member
    Oh dear....
    Ed Miliband has apologised for any offence caused after he posed with a copy of the Sun newspaper.

The Labour leader was pictured holding a special edition of the paper which was sent to millions of homes free to mark the start of the World Cup.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, you're not.