Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    I believe Race control messages come onto the text timing screen a few secs before they get forwarded to the World Feed. Something i've noticed in common with lots of other racing series.

They'll be automaticly placed on the timing deed, where as the director will have to choose to show them on the world feed.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be automaticly placed on the timing deed, where as the director will have to choose to show them on the world feed.

Not convinced about that. It may have changed now, but certainly a few years ago the race director didn't choose the graphics on F1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Not convinced about that. It may have changed now, but certainly a few years ago the race director didn't choose the graphics on F1.

If there are multiple messages won't it get a bit messy if they just automaticly popped up on the world feed? I'm fairly sure they are manually decided on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there are multiple messages won't it get a bit messy if they just automaticly popped up on the world feed? I'm fairly sure they are manually decided on.

Yes, but not by the director. The graphics ops are in control of what appears - which is why so often the graphics bear no relationship to the pictures you see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but not by the director. The graphics ops are in control of what appears - which is why so often the graphics bear no relationship to the pictures you see.

Understood!
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good pre-Quali show on BBC today, good range of features, interviews etc. Susie Wolff feature very well produced. Possibly best pre show they've done this year, ramped up well for an amazing Quali session.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,410
    Forum Member
    FOM have a rotating 180 T-cam in GP3.

https://flic.kr/p/odndbi
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    markmag wrote: »
    Very good pre-Quali show on BBC today, good range of features, interviews etc. Susie Wolff feature very well produced. Possibly best pre show they've done this year, ramped up well for an amazing Quali session.

Sky had Massa cooking for Natalie and her friends - duh!
    They showed a bit of the 50th parade, would of been better to have shown more of that.

They had Susie on sky too for a short time.
    At the end Simon called Susie, Totos wife, ooops!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    At the end Simon called Susie, Totos wife, ooops!

Factually correct, so why the oops?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should not be referred to in that way because she is known for being a racing driver in her own right first. That is what she is famous for, not for being Toto's wife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Factually correct, so why the oops?

Oh I thought she was his daughter.
    I thought he was well in to his fifties and she was early 20s.
    Just looked online and on wikipedia - oh!
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should not be referred to in that way because she is known for being a racing driver in her own right first. That is what she is famous for, not for being Toto's wife.

Simon didn't say it any slur to her racing abilites. Stop reading anything into it or if it's wrong to acknowledge husband and wife in a paddock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Oh I thought she was his daughter.
    I thought he was well in to his fifties and she was early 20s.
    Just looked online and on wikipedia - oh!

No, there's only a decade between them.
    Susie's dad John Stoddart ran a motorbike shop in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon didn't say it any slur to her racing abilites. Stop reading anything into it or if it's wrong to acknowledge husband and wife in a paddock.
    I didn't say he did, it's just a bit disrespectful of him to refer to her in that way when she is a racing driver in her own right, more so this weekend when she did actually carry out driving duties for Williams (albeit for a very short time), she was not just there because she is Toto's wife.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say he did, it's just a bit disrespectful of him to refer to her in that way when she is a racing driver in her own right, more so this weekend when she did actually carry out driving duties for Williams (albeit for a very short time), she was not just there because she is Toto's wife.

All he said was something along lines on "Quick word on your wife". Nothing disrespectful in that what so ever. Asking a question opinion of another driver and as someone close to Toto. Often hear drivers asked about another driver such as say DC when driving asked about "his friend" Button or what have you.

Heard Clare Williams referred as 'daughter' a few times, nothing about it suggests anything other than acknowledging the relationship but in the work environment.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Mountain out of a molehill much???!?!?!
    Nothing wrong at all in referring to her as his wife, same in the opposite direction if they wanted to when talking to usie and saying 'Word about your husband'...
    Its nothing close to insulting and you know it!!!

Glad Sky didn't use that D.O.G with the red button blob on it.
    Gets on my nerves no end!
    Just my luck it will be back tomorrow now... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be over-reacting, I just think it was highly disrespectful of him, but then I have never had a very high opinion of Simon.

Anyway, on to the coverage.
    I tried the BBC Sport app on the Now TV box during qualy today. It had the option to watch the main TV feed, the Pitlane feed, the Driver Tracker, the Onboard mix, the Live Timing screen and the option to watch the race with 5live commentary.

I was impressed with the picture quality, even in SD mode, and enabling the HD mode of the feeds gives you the feeds in a quality not far from the HD quality of the main channels.

The image quality is certainly higher than my experience of the Red Button offerings and Sky's Race Control, both online and via the TV. No daft borders either.

It was roughly about 1:20 mins behind the TV, and I turned the box on and off to see if it improved it. Planning to pause the coverage tomorrow to get the two to sync up for the race.

Quick screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/320dc8337082755
    (I am going to tray and get better ones tomorrow).
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I may be over-reacting, I just think it was highly disrespectful of him, but then I have never had a very high opinion of Simon.

I tried the BBC Sport app on the Now TV box during qualy today. It had the option to watch the main TV feed, the Pitlane feed, the Driver Tracker, the Onboard mix, the Live Timing screen and the option to watch the race with 5live commentary.

I was impressed with the picture quality, even in SD mode, and enabling the HD mode of the feeds gives you the feeds in a quality not far from the HD quality of the main channels.

The image quality is certainly higher than my experience of the Red Button offerings and Sky's Race Control via the TV. No daft borders either.

It was roughly about 1:20 mins behind the TV, and I turned the box on and off to see if it improved it. Planning to pause the coverage tomorrow to get the two to sync up for the race.

Been a few mixed reviews of the NowTV BBC Sport App.

Agreed on the borders and crap PQ on Sky Race Control, all in SD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent qualy notebook there from Ted
    Hope his cameraman did not break anything, he came close.
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally OT, but.. How did you enable HD mode? I can't see any settings on mine!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally OT, but.. How did you enable HD mode? I can't see any settings on mine!

On the black bar that appears when you press a button the directional button (http://www.imagebam.com/image/8e6ae1337112727), the play button will be highlighted, while the bar is still on screen press right on your remote and the 'HD off' should go yellow (as the play button is in the that picture), press OK and it should change to 'HD on' and reload the stream.
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the black bar that appears when you press a button the directional button (http://www.imagebam.com/image/8e6ae1337112727), the play button will be highlighted, while the bar is still on screen press right on your remote and the 'HD off' should go yellow (as the play button is in the that picture), press OK and it should change to 'HD on' and reload the stream.

Fantastic! Thank you :)

I've got a HD ready TV, but the built in Freeview isn't HD. This way I can watch in HD :) Thanks again!
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member

The image quality is certainly higher than my experience of the Red Button offerings and Sky's Race Control, both online and via the TV. No daft borders either.

I have the BBC Sport app on my blu-ray player, and it is very useful, sadly the playback (maybe because the live sports they show on TV are interlaced, whereas the streams on the BBC Sport app appear to be progressive & 25fps, although it could be the internals of my blu-ray player aren't up to scratch) isn't as smooth as it is over the TV, but it's only noticable if you were to switch between the tv picture and the stream in the app there and then. On it's own it's perfectly watchable, you get used to it after a while...
  • Options
    Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had seats in the Club Grandstand today overlooking the International Straight, Club, Vale and the run from Stowe with two giant TV screens handily placed next to the FOM TV prefab. Impressed with the F1 app which is only a few seconds behind live on 3G giving commentary, timing and team radio on iPhone. Even more impressed that it is actually clearly audible through headphones above the muted sound of the new generation of F1 cars.
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Guv'nor wrote: »
    Had seats in the Club Grandstand today overlooking the National Straight, Club, Vale and the run from Stowe with two giant TV screens handily placed next to the FOM TV prefab. Impressed with the F1 app which is only a few seconds behind live on 3G giving commentary, timing and team radio on iPhone. Even more impressed that it is actually clearly audible through headphones above the muted sound of the new generation of F1 cars.
    Well that's impressive then. Especially since it's probably going back to Biggin Hill first...
This discussion has been closed.