F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a question - does anyone know - ITV and (i think) first couple of years on BBC return Ted and Louise/Lee had their ITV/BBC racing suits when roaming in the pits - was there a rule back then that pit-lane reporters had to wear them, or was it a style thing? As they have been jettisoned in the past few years.
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I think it was decided they weren't needed, especially after refueling was banned in-race as the risk of fire was reduced vastly

In any pit lane where refuelling takes place, fire suits are mandatory, hence why they all wore them on ITV, and initially on the BBC.

Now that there's no refuelling they don't need to wear them in F1. Still essential in sportscars, Indycar and NASCAR.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    BBC chatting live to Horner when Vettel and Alonso were going wheel to wheel was pretty cool.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC chatting live to Horner when Vettel and Alonso were going wheel to wheel was pretty cool.

Go Sebby :D
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an image doing the rounds on Twitter showing Alonso starting outside of his start box (ahead), be interesting to see if the broadcasters pick up on that.

Would Alonso have been penalised, or had it already been spotted by the Authorities, as the investigation was pretty late in being declared, certainly after the restart.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not shown on tv, Lewis doing doughnuts.

http://instagram.com/p/qHlMqFFH6h
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LeeMcKenzieF1/status/485840319481909248

Lee McKenzie ‏@LeeMcKenzieF1
    That's my last race until Belgian Grand Prix as I'm presenting Commonwealth Games for @BBCSport Not missed a race since 2008!
    6:38 PM - 6 Jul 2014

Interesting to note that since she was overlooked as F1 presenter at the end of 2012, BBC Sport are now upping her commitments - Wimbledon and the Commonwealth Games in addition to the F1.

I don't understand why the BBC take apart one presentation team to create another, that happens to be temporary, right in the middle of something.
    She is great on F1, why mess with that?!?!?!
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I don't understand why the BBC take apart one presentation team to create another, that happens to be temporary, right in the middle of something.
    She is great on F1, why mess with that?!?!?!

Commonwealth games is a big event needing many presenters - so it shows she is very good presenter. She is a BBC contractor - it's easier getting her in than paying some freelancer - and F1 doesn't suffer much over a long season really.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Commonwealth games is a big event needing many presenters - so it shows she is very good presenter.

Agreed she is a VERY good presenter and journalist, but it takes away from the already thin F1 coverage on BBC.
    Same went when they took Jake off F1 for something (Think it was Euro 2012) and all they did was put him pitchside to take to a few folks for 90 seconds... Mental
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe her choice rather than the BBC's, sure she's had plenty of offers since missing out to Suzie.
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No interview with Ricciardo or Bottas on Sky after the race. You'd have thought a dedicated F1 channel (or any channel for that matter) would want to hear from 2nd & 3rd. It’s not as if they had boring races or Sky were short on time.

FWIW post-race the BBC spoke to 8 drivers, Sky only 5. Driver interviews & race analysis away from Hamilton & the Alonso/Vettel battle was non-existent today which simply isn’t good enough for a dedicated F1 channel.

Sky’s live weekend coverage has been well ahead of the BBC this season but this weekend was far too Hamilton focused to the point they were repeating themselves endlessly and the coverage suffered with the rest of the podium somehow forgotten. Compared to the kind of dissection and depth of analysis we got between 2009-2011, Sky & the BBC are absolutely nowhere near.

For the sake of balance, whilst Suzi has improved a lot on the live shows she still isn’t up to scratch. I still reckon the coverage would improve massively with Lee anchoring and with the return of Gary Anderson (which obviously won’t happen). Although if they're still reluctant to move Lee, Georgie Thompson is now a BBC employee with a bit of free time these days.
  • Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed the Chequered Flag podcast review. Jennie Gow is great at keeping things moving and they even managed to get something original out of Toto Wolff. :o

I'm sure Jennie can sub for Lee for a couple of races quite easily.

For me, Tom Clarkson is still out of place. He doesn't seem to contribute anything insightful or new from the pitlane and now Allan McNish even does the Ted role on the Forum (very well).

Liked Ben's question to Toto on the pit wall about the age of Lewis's gearbox, although I'm not sure Ben or DC are on the ball enough when races or strategy get messy (whereas James Allen perhaps goes the other way into conspiracy-seeking overdrive).

I wonder sometimes if Ben slips into safe, mass audience mode - he seems less keen to stick his neck out than on BTCC.

In summary then, I like Allan McNish!
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1-Addict wrote: »
    No interview with Ricciardo or Bottas on Sky after the race. You'd have thought a dedicated F1 channel (or any channel for that matter) would want to hear from 2nd & 3rd. It’s not as if they had boring races or Sky were short on time.

FWIW post-race the BBC spoke to 8 drivers, Sky only 5. Driver interviews & race analysis away from Hamilton & the Alonso/Vettel battle was non-existent today which simply isn’t good enough for a dedicated F1 channel.

Am I correct in thinking the Sky 5 were Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Button, Chilton? I think they spoke to Massa during the red flag delay as well. I'd let them off on the Ric/Bot interviews, seeing as we heard from them both on the podium anyway, but it would have been nice to hear from say Guttierez and Maldonado for their takes on their incident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Be honest, that is one part I could do without.
    Do not really care at all about the after race interviews.
    Sky’s live weekend coverage has been well ahead of the BBC this season but this weekend was far too Hamilton focused to the point they were repeating themselves endlessly and the coverage suffered with the rest of the podium somehow forgotten. Compared to the kind of dissection and depth of analysis we got between 2009-2011, Sky & the BBC are absolutely nowhere near.

For the sake of balance, whilst Suzi has improved a lot on the live shows she still isn’t up to scratch. I still reckon the coverage would improve massively with Lee anchoring and with the return of Gary Anderson (which obviously won’t happen). Although if they're still reluctant to move Lee, Georgie Thompson is now a BBC employee with a bit of free time these days.

Hamilton could win this year and hes British, so that is their focus for their viewers and paying customers.
    Do not see it getting in the way and do not really see this bias from Sky.
    I do not watch BBC so cannot comment.

Georgie is not a BBC employee, she is just doing a radio show, much like Adrian Chiles, all part of the new 5 live cost cutting shakeup so the Guardian has been reporting.
    From down here it seems she is more into the sport of sailing and of course Ben Ainslie, she keeps appearing with him in our local rag with his proposed plans for down here.
    Forum Member
    Frank Furt wrote: »
    For me, Tom Clarkson is still out of place. He doesn't seem to contribute anything insightful or new from the pitlane

Clarkson isn't really kicking on this season, disappointing. I didn't think it was good enough he seemed to think the restart would be a standing start rather than under the safety car.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Do not really care at all about the after race interviews.
    Very rare you get any interesting one which does not just toe the usual team line. Last one I remember was the Plato / Neil clash in BTCC a couple of years back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Crofty after the Raikkonen accident was stressing the g force that he went through, cant remember the figure now, but at the time it sounded high.
    We did not have the g meter graphic to back Crofty up.
    But just seen this from Thursday on the telegraph site, interesting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNOgTIZfeec

Also in the article, an interesting snippet from the Journalist.
    The new Silverstone wing, all £27m of it, is something to marvel at. While some people may quibble about the relocation of the start-finish straight, the architecture is worth marvelling over. However, a slight F1 Correspondent's complaint. The media centre, practically adjacent to the track, has no windows. It's more like the Ministry of Love than a media centre. Compared to the stunning view from the new centre in Austria, it's not brilliant at all.
    Must admit I did not know Silverstone had any improvements this year, is that not what Bernie always complains about with the British GP, lack of investment.
    I thought the pits and paddock area was all moved and improved last year.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowest British Grand Prix number since 2006 and lowest Qualifying number since 2007.

The race itself peaked with 4.8m approx on BBC and Sky. In comparison the entire programme in 2010/2011 averaged that.

Terrible scheduling to blame by FOM and FIA in my view.
    Forum Member
    The worst thing is F1 then uses these falling viewing figures to justify stupid rule changes, when the easiest way to increase viewing figures is to put the sport back on FTA and to stop races clashing with other major sporting events.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus surely folks who tuned in for the start would have been put off by the hour's break when the barrier was repaired - that must have had an impact.

Otherwise - why was it worse than 2012, when it was up against a Wimbledon final that featured Murray, to boot?
    Forum Member
    The hour delay did not help because it meant the entire race was up against Wimbledon, rather than half as was the case in 2012.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Given the BBC's general lack of live sport, it amazes me that they allow two of their biggest events to clash. But this has been the case for a while now, so I'm not sure it can be used an excuse for low figures (although the delay would certainly explain a low average)
  • AlexanderF1AlexanderF1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Given the BBC's general lack of live sport, it amazes me that they allow two of their biggest events to clash.)

the bbc have no control. bernie,fom and fia schedule the season and probably deliberatly scheduled it for the tennis final. but also bbc need to give f1 more exposure(by advertising it more)and priority considering its one of 2 sports where the cover every weekend of the season(football and f1). they only show certain events from every other sport such as tennis or golf.

also bbc f1 forum was pretty bad they didnt even go speak to the fans, all it is now is driver interviews with lee and also why do they need to speak to lewis after the team photo when we already saw his interview with lee. its unbelievable that skys and bbcs coverage is worse now than from 09-11(and 2012 for bbc). with these pretty bad viewing figures hopefully we go back to fta once bernie gets the sack.
    Forum Member
    Well it's not just the BBC, all rights holders with interest in either/or both sports must be a bit miffed that a clash like this isn't sorted out. There's no race next weekend and there wasn't a race last weekend. Poor.
    bernie,fom and fia schedule the season and probably deliberatly scheduled it for the tennis final

What :D
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the BBC's general lack of live sport, it amazes me that they allow two of their biggest events to clash. But this has been the case for a while now, so I'm not sure it can be used an excuse for low figures (although the delay would certainly explain a low average)

The Tour de France may also explain it - we know there is a massive crossover between cycling fans and motor sport fans, and that was demonstrated by ITV being the most watched channel until the F1 started, when BBC2 overtook it, with ITV's audience falling and BBC2's rising.

BBC1 trailed in third place until 1.15pm, when it suddenly shot up, but these were "new viewers" - the audiences for F1 and TdF didn't fall when the tennis started.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Very rare you get any interesting one which does not just toe the usual team line. Last one I remember was the Plato / Neil clash in BTCC a couple of years back.
    I really wish more sportsmen would be like this, speaking their mind. This is what we want to hear not what their PR tells them to say. The closest we get is when Lewis is in one of his smacked arse moods.

However there are some people who would complain about this too, sometimes the drivers and teams cannot win either way.
    the bbc have no control. bernie,fom and fia schedule the season and probably deliberatly scheduled it for the tennis final. but also bbc need to give f1 more exposure(by advertising it more)and priority considering its one of 2 sports where the cover every weekend of the season(football and f1). they only show certain events from every other sport such as tennis or golf.

also bbc f1 forum was pretty bad they didnt even go speak to the fans, all it is now is driver interviews with lee and also why do they need to speak to lewis after the team photo when we already saw his interview with lee. its unbelievable that skys and bbcs coverage is worse now than from 09-11(and 2012 for bbc). with these pretty bad viewing figures hopefully we go back to fta once bernie gets the sack.
    Agree on the Forum, it has certainly gone downhill since they have stopped forcing their way in thing.

I haven't watched the pre-race on Sky, but I have watched Ted's Notebook as always, and even that felt lackluster this weekend. Yesterday's Notebook seemed like the shortest one ever.
This discussion has been closed.