F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's not just the BBC, all rights holders with interest in either/or both sports must be a bit miffed that a clash like this isn't sorted out. There's no race next weekend and there wasn't a race last weekend. Poor.
    Having it a week earlier would be sensible, although I can't imagine the teams would be very happy if it was put back a week as that would mean 3 back-to-back race weekends.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Having it a week earlier would be sensible, although I can't imagine the teams would be very happy if it was put back a week as that would mean 3 back-to-back race weekends.

you could shove Germany and Hungary back a week and create space that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    hopefully we go back to fta once bernie gets the sack.

Be honest I think and personally hope it will go the other way.
    True Bernie is the one who is holding back a lot of bringing F1 into the 21st century.
    But he has also made a point over recent years about keeping FTA.
    A lot of the other and smaller race series do a lot more than F1 with paid apps, viewing and online experiences, F1 is catching up, but should be leading.

Strange about that hour delay, I have heard so many today said they switched off when they red flagged and started fixing the barrier, shame as it did make it a more exciting race in the end.

Do remember as a lad in the early 70s watching live the marshalls and crowd shuffling a few tyres or straw bales about after some damage.
    Times have changed :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could shove Germany and Hungary back a week and create space that way.
    Yeah, changing the summer break wouldn't matter too much. Even if it meant putting that back a week, but keeping the timescale the same.
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched the pre-race on Sky, but I have watched Ted's Notebook as always, and even that felt lackluster this weekend. Yesterday's Notebook seemed like the shortest one ever.

Did think on that, Ted kept making the point that a few teams were not packing up as they had tests to do the next day and were all closed up, so little to show.
    I got the impression that Ted and also sky were being asked to also pack up early as they can not be there for the tests can they, all behind closed doors.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The Tour de France may also explain it - we know there is a massive crossover between cycling fans and motor sport fans, and that was demonstrated by ITV being the most watched channel until the F1 started, when BBC2 overtook it, with ITV's audience falling and BBC2's rising.

BBC1 trailed in third place until 1.15pm, when it suddenly shot up, but these were "new viewers" - the audiences for F1 and TdF didn't fall when the tennis started.

I think it is fair to say though that the F1 clashing with Wimbledon hurt the former more than the latter, after all the British Grand Prix does normally peak with over 6 million viewers.
  • Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wimbledon is being moved back a week from 2015 to allow more time to switch from clay to grass, so hopefully F1 will now occupy middle Sunday.

F1: The world's most common-sense brandTM :confused:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain to me what the "Think before you drive" slogan was about? I have been thinking and thinking and wondering if I would be wise to come up with the answer before I need to use the car again. :confused:
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what the "Think before you drive" slogan was about? I have been thinking and thinking and wondering if I would be wise to come up with the answer before I need to use the car again. :confused:

It actually said Bernie says Think before you drive.
    Was it aimed at the racing drivers? Would seem a bit daft.

Perhaps he is asking us to think about walking or getting the bus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How scarily close that wheel came to Chilton's head: http://www.imagebam.com/image/11c803337480582

No wonder he was a bit shuck up. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »

"Think Before You Drive

Launched in 2005, the "Think Before You Drive" safety campaign focuses on simple road safety messages to help reduce road deaths, globally estimated at 1.2 million a year. The campaign partners; Bridgestone Corporation and the FIA Foundation, share the common goal of improving global road safety.
    For Bridgestone Corporation, the campaign is an extension of the tyre safety educational activities that the Bridgestone Group companies conduct on a global scale.
    For the FIA Foundation, the campaign builds on recent successful seat belt campaigning in Europe and Latin America.
    "
    http://www.bridgestone.com.au/media/thinkbeforeyoudrive/default2.aspx
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,462
    Forum Member
    Well I for one am glad that the British GP is on when it is, cos it no longer clashes with a local folk festival I go to :P
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Frank Furt wrote: »
    Wimbledon is being moved back a week from 2015 to allow more time to switch from clay to grass, so hopefully F1 will now occupy middle Sunday.

Very good point !
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    "Think Before You Drive

Launched in 2005, the "Think Before You Drive" safety campaign focuses on simple road safety messages
    First I have heard of it so they cannot be doing a very good job. Would not a "Think *While" You Drive" be more apposite?
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the Drink Drive ads around the Aussie rules stadiums, in big letters: 'Drink & Drive? You Bloody Idiot'
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Not shown on tv, Lewis doing doughnuts.

http://instagram.com/p/qHlMqFFH6h

It was shown on TV, on the BBC HD red Button channel after the podium. BBC kept the feed running until FOM ended it.
    Forum Member
    First I have heard of it so they cannot be doing a very good job. Would not a "Think *While" You Drive" be more apposite?
    I've heard it since several years ago, although I never paid much attention to it so I assumed it was an anti-drink-drive campaign.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the "Think Before You Drive" CGI slogan pretty stupid yesterday. Most of the time it was barely legible when it appeared, and the one floating above the grandstand in clear space was just, well, odd.

On a different note, was that a new variant on the fuel graphic yesterday, rather than total fuel used in kg it was average fuel used per lap. Don't remember seeing it before.
  • scragendscragend Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »

Not sure that "Bernie says think before you drive" would have much impact on anything.

Bernie comes out with so much nonsense that most people probably don't take any notice of anything he says any more!
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How scarily close that wheel came to Chilton's head: http://www.imagebam.com/image/11c803337480582

No wonder he was a bit shuck up. :o

:o indeed.

The other frightening image was this one IMO: https://imgur.com/cjvkJob.png - I know the long shot probably takes out some of the distance between the debris and Massa, but that's a scary angle for that suspension arm or whatever it is to be pointing at.

Incidentally, did they show a replay of the incident from this camera just a little further up from that spectator's shot?: https://i.imgur.com/CT0UsGx.png I think they showed a little of the aftermath from this camera in Sky's closing montage, but I don't recall the incident itself being shown from it.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racefreak wrote: »
    It was shown on TV, on the BBC HD red Button channel after the podium. BBC kept the feed running until FOM ended it.

As i said, it wasnt shown on tv.. :p

Kimi's crash was 47g btw.
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    As i said, it wasnt shown on tv.. :p

Kimi's crash was 47g btw.

The Red Button was broadcast on TV, so yes it was shown on TV...
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    The Red Button was broadcast on TV, so yes it was shown on TV...

lol, trust it to be you that points that out. Besides, it wasnt shown on the RB either.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

The words shittest donut :D
This discussion has been closed.