Forum Member
✭✭✭
The holidays are officially over...

PMQs Wednesday 4th September 2013: 12-12.30pm

Live coverage: BBC Parliament; BBC2; Sky News; Radio 5 Live

Order of Business:

Oral Questions to the Prime Minister

Q1 Christopher Pincher (Tamworth)
If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 4 September.
Q2 Daniel Kawczynski (Shrewsbury and Atcham)
Q3 Alun Cairns (Vale of Glamorgan)
Q4 Caroline Dinenage (Gosport)
Q5 David Rutley (Macclesfield)
Q6 Jesse Norman (Hereford and South Herefordshire)
Q7 Neil Parish (Tiverton and Honiton)
Q8 Bridget Phillipson (Houghton and Sunderland South)
Q9 Graham Evans (Weaver Vale)
Q10 Lilian Greenwood (Nottingham South)
Q11 Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (The Cotswolds)
Q12 Stephen Doughty (Cardiff South and Penarth)
Q13 Mr Jim Hood (Lanark and Hamilton East)
Q14 Barbara Keeley (Worsley and Eccles South)
Q15 John Mann (Bassetlaw)

The first PMQ's since July 17th - Nurses, **** Packets, Big Tobacco and Weasel Words (including Weak)

This time last year we had The Longest Double Dip Recession since the Second World War, Housing Starts, the Crimson Tide and Which Team Has The Best Chancellor.

There are two opposition debates later today, both being headed up by Ed Miliband. The first is about Living Standards (on which he is joined by Ed Balls), the second about Energy Prices and Profits.

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First day of term atmosphere mixed with the left over rancour from last week's fiasco heralds a lively event.

Rachel Reeves was interviewed this morning about wages and living standards and she seems to be part of a concerted Labour effort to go on the attack.

Will anyone mention Syria I wonder.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Balls has been saying we're all hurting because of the Tories decisions so I guess they're going to try one last ditch attempt to make everyone think the Tories are evil but I think it's too little too late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour have opposition day on energy and living standards, hence the gush earlier this morning.

at PMQs it is most likely Ed will focus on Syria though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ed Balls has been saying we're all hurting because of the Tories decisions so I guess they're going to try one last ditch attempt to make everyone think the Tories are evil but I think it's too little too late.

It must be tricky for him now that the economy is showing positive signs of recovery. He has been unusually quiet of late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Labour have opposition day on energy and living standards, hence the gush earlier this morning.

But what could he possibly ask that would be to his advantage?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Will anyone mention Syria I wonder.

It could go either way. It could be the elephant in the room that everyone tries to ignore or there could be open warfare between the parties.

My guess is that Miliband will try to avoid the issue but backbenchers from both sides will try to get some final digs in. Cameron needs to keep calm. I did hear one Labour MP (I didn't catch who) on the radio this morning claiming that Labour had won the vote on Syria and had kept the UK out of military action. If anyone tries that in the camber then it could get very nasty in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It could go either way. It could be the elephant in the room that everyone tries to ignore or there could be open warfare between the parties.

My guess is that Miliband will try to avoid the issue but backbenchers from both sides will try to get some final digs in.

There are certainly a lot of bruised egos around.

Wages might be a safer bet.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what could he possibly ask that would be to his advantage?

he could ask his brother if there's any vacancies where he's working nowadays, apart from that, very little springs to mind.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprized if primary schools get a mention. Labour could try and attack the cancelled school buildings program on the back of the pending shortage of primary school places. The fact that scheme was a refurbishment project and not about putting more bums on seats wouldn't normally stop them trying :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yvette Cooper is going to ask an emergency question today about immigration controls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    he could ask his brother if there's any vacancies where he's working nowadays, apart from that, very little springs to mind.

David Miliband today put himself at odds with his Labour leader brother Ed to warn that international intervention in Syria is ‘increasingly necessary'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2410132/David-Miliband-defies-Ed-insist-intervention-Syria-increasingly-necessary.html#ixzz2duxicH00
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvette Cooper is going to ask an emergency question today about immigration controls.

She's about 10 years too late in asking about that.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed will go on the living wage thing, I'd bet money on it. "Can the Prime Minister tell us why nearly 5 million hard working people are surviving on less than a living wage?" etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup guaranteed with Ed Balls pointing his finger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela Eagle really has the most depressing and whiney voice. She sounds like a teenager who has just been told to tidy her room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way they could have made that one more obvious is if they showed the WTC.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish he'd say something other than "My honorable friend makes an important point"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »

ping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh Ed Balls not flanking Miliband. Hes got Alexander on his right and Harman on his left. We will be spared the grimacing, gurning and hand waving from Balls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miliband goes on immigration - that of Syrians into other countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miliband wants talks between the warring parties in Syria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed is going for his "act like a grown up" act. It doesn't usually last long.
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a welcome development that the military tributes at the start of PMQs are few and far between these days, none over 6 weeks of summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miliband sticks to the idea of peace talks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband wants talks between the warring parties in Syria.

Maybe he should volunteer to be the negotiator.