The New HTC One m8 available to buy on launch day!

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn thing has a nano SIM! So now I have to wait until tonight before I can properly use it.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Wow, that gun metal grey is sexy!

Still happy with my old :( HTC One for now though, but glad we get Sense 6 :)
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4MP camera - in 2014.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame it doesn't have wireless charging
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The HTC one is the only android phone I've considered ditching my iPhone for.

It's iOS that's keeping me on iPhones, because I don't think android is as well polished as an OS and isn't as quick for things like browsing. This looks impressive.

How are we expecting battery life to be compared to something like an iPhone 5S?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm missing something as usual as I simply can't see this #sexy#.
    It seems to have another dull metal casing that likely drops calls as well as the brand leader. Is that what you mean?
    :rolleyes:

It does use some interesting high end tech though.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the things I loved in the presentation is the fact that you can now stream your music to a wireless speaker or stereo without loading a separate app & that they have been working with various companies like Yamaha to work with this, if it works with my Denon receiver without the use of an individual app, then this phone could be a contender for me. Even tho I can do this on my S3, it does require an extra App to pull it off & so that of courses uses more battery power.

I know that the above feature is similar to that of Apple's Airplay function, still no doubt the tools at Apple HQ may try and sue over this function.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite interested in this. If I'm paying top dollar I want a premium metal phone.

I really don't like the Samsung plastic handsets which way overpriced when compared with the Nexus line for example.

The camera looks pretty cool too.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I loved in the presentation is the fact that you can now stream your music to a wireless speaker or stereo without loading a separate app & that they have been working with various companies like Yamaha to work with this, if it works with my Denon receiver without the use of an individual app, then this phone could be a contender for me.
    Ever heard of Bluetooth?
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Damn thing has a nano SIM! So now I have to wait until tonight before I can properly use it.

Has it got a MicroSD card slot? The lack of one in the One made me go for a Note 3 instead.
  • tigermadtigermad Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it got a MicroSD card slot? The lack of one in the One made me go for a Note 3 instead.

Yes it has a sd slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, and it has USB On the Go too.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Yes, and it has USB On the Go too.

Thanks guys, would be very tempted to get one depending on my staff discount :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not very impressed with the camera so far though. But I need to see the pics on a desktop screen to properly judge.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Ever heard of Bluetooth?

Of course but it is pointless in paying out for a bluetooth speaker when I have a decent 7.1 AV Receiver that can receive audio via Airplay / DLNA.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact it has a GPE is great. It means it should be possible to convert a standard M8 into the GPE and get OTA updates. It would be great if the S5 and Z2 get GPE editions as well. Its ashame to see great hardware spoiled by skinned Android.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were talking about wireless speakers... I don't know of any wireless speakers that use anything other than Bluetooth.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    It's iOS that's keeping me on iPhones, because I don't think android is as well polished as an OS and isn't as quick for things like browsing. This looks impressive.

Android is just as polished if not more than iOS nowadays. Browsing is also just as fast. No idea what makes you think it isn't :confused:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Android is just as polished if not more than iOS nowadays. Browsing is also just as fast. No idea what makes you think it isn't :confused:

Maybe it's just how they find it?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The fact it has a GPE is great. It means it should be possible to convert a standard M8 into the GPE and get OTA updates. It would be great if the S5 and Z2 get GPE editions as well. Its ashame to see great hardware spoiled by skinned Android.

I hope Sony don't get too stuck-up about their own UI and give the Z2 a GPE. I think it was a silly decision for them to snub Android Wear and not give the Z1 a GPE. Though they did release a Z Ultra GPE.

I'm not sure how likely the S5 is to get a GPE, Samsung doesn't seem to like mentioning Google all that much these days, but I'm glad the M8 is getting a GPE.

The new HTC One looks good, but I think it's lacking the spark of the previous M7. It does look like a very polished device though, HTC's build quality seems to be really top notch with these new designs. What HTC need to do now is market the hell out of this thing. Their problem is that they come up with good devices but are drowned out and upstaged by Samsung and their huge marketing budget.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

My most recent usage of android on a 'flagship' phone is Galaxy S3, and S4. It's probably their TouchWiz crap that makes those two phones absolutely awful compared iOS. (I've used both extensively, for a couple of months at a time, and own an iPhone 5). How people keep buying this Samsung shite is beyond me.

I tried, briefly, the original HTC One, and that seemed much better, but I've not had prolonged exposure.

I can't really think of another model that's supposed to be a premium flagship.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I have to completely disagree with that.

Generally I'm not taken with the UX of stock Android but especially when it comes to handsets like the S5 and the M8, there are unique hardware features that would be wasted without the manufacturers' own software.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Quite interested in this. If I'm paying top dollar I want a premium metal phone.

I really don't like the Samsung plastic handsets which way overpriced when compared with the Nexus line for example.

The camera looks pretty cool too.

Agreed with the build, and Samsung seem to be content with cheap feeling plastic devices. Premium devices should also stand out on build.

As for the camera, are you joking? They've removed the one decent feature (OIS) and added a secondary camera for lame effects.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I hope Sony don't get too stuck-up about their own UI and give the Z2 a GPE. I think it was a silly decision for them to snub Android Wear and not give the Z1 a GPE. Though they did release a Z Ultra GPE.

I'm not sure how likely the S5 is to get a GPE, Samsung doesn't seem to like mentioning Google all that much these days, but I'm glad the M8 is getting a GPE.

The new HTC One looks good, but I think it's lacking the spark of the previous M7. It does look like a very polished device though, HTC's build quality seems to be really top notch with these new designs. What HTC need to do now is market the hell out of this thing. Their problem is that they come up with good devices but are drowned out and upstaged by Samsung and their huge marketing budget.

I never had any issues with the Sony variant of Android, at least on the Xperia SP while I had it.

HTC won't market it right, at least not based on their track record. Heck, they probably rival Nokia in the incompetent marketing stakes.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC are screwed. I can't see them being around next year.