Options

Benny Hill

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Big up to ITV for the Tommy Cooper biog,
I think it was a success and quality TV that can be kept and rebroadcast again down the line.

But don't stop there guys ..... get working on the Benny Hill TV biog ...... it will definitely be more sensational and controversial that Tommy's life story..... cant wait !

Comments

• Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Big up to ITV for the Tommy Cooper biog,
    I think it was a success and quality TV that can be kept and rebroadcast again down the line.

But don't stop there guys ..... get working on the Benny Hill TV biog ...... it will definitely be more sensational and controversial that Tommy's life story..... cant wait !

Are they going to do one on Benny Hill?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Benny Hill, the film was on the other week, cracks me up everytime that, love the one where hes the gardener etc... for the posh old bloke, and he keeps sneaking off with his wife :D
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Kay2000 wrote: »
    Are they going to do one on Benny Hill?
    Who knows ? they might be thinking about it though...
    sure to be a lot more glamour on view with the Hills Angels.....

The Tommy Cooper biog was ok but I think he slurred
    the voice a bit too much and 2 hours was a touch too long, they should have cut it to 90 mins.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, please. Give Benny his due. His popularity waned with the onset of 'political correctness' and the advent of 'alternative comedy (now mainstream, ironically) comedy'. He got dumped by broadcasters and, I can't remember who it was, but on a tribute show some other comedian commented about how hurt and baffled he was by this. He reported that Hill had asked "Why is it that my kind of humour is now seen as degrading and shameful (i.e. to women) when we've got an new generation of comedians who can come out with all kinds of foul-mouthed profanity and people think it's funny?" I think he had a point. Even in the smuttiest of his sketches, he was always the butt of the 'joke' whereas some of the comedy that came after him revelled in being nasty and sarcastic about people. So, yep, I'd like to see how they tackled his life story and what happened to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Love Benny :) regularly pass his flat next to teddington studios. Fav sketch has to be the drunk man.

Benny- can I go wee now? WEEEEEEE!! Lmao
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was an incredibly tragic and grubby little Man who led a very grotty and seedy lifestyle, particularly in his latter years.

His comedy did not appeal to me in any way whatsoever, but I think it would be a very interesting biopic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was an incredibly tragic and grubby little Man who led a very grotty and seedy lifestyle, particularly in his latter years.

His comedy did not appeal to me in any way whatsoever, but I think it would be a very interesting biopic.

Grotty and seedy? In what way? :confused:
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

I agree with the second part and could imagine the first (although I really don't know him well enough to know). He's an interesting character for sure. He was huge when I was a kid and then basically disappeared when he went out of fashion.
  • Options
    History GalHistory Gal Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    It is well worth reading the Mark Lewisohn biography of Benny Hill, as he starts off as a super fan and gradually as he uncovers more about him, realises he was a very odd chap, although a genius when it came to his songs and sketches.

I'm not sure that his personal life is of much interest, in comparison to Cooper. He was never married, and seemed to always go for shop girls and then propose in such a way they either missed what he was asking totally or thought he was joking.

I'd certainly watch a Hill biography if one were made though!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    The Tommy Cooper biog was ok but I think he slurred
    the voice a bit too much and 2 hours was a touch too long, they should have cut it to 90 mins.

It was only 1 hour 40 mins without the ad breaks, I watched it but recorded it and cut the adverts out.
    That's the problem with ITV, even a decent drama like Broadchurch is a bit tedious with ad breaks.
    It was more of an impression of Tommy Cooper rather than a portrayal, but very good considering.
    I'd be up for a Benny Hill one, thought he was a bit crap when I was younger, but he was cleverer than I realised.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny Hill was very funny and at his peak was a huge worldwide star. How many British comedians become household names in the USA? Very, very few I'd guess. His humour is in the same vein as the Carry On's, completely harmless.

If you went to blame anyone for his shows no longer being on TV then look no further than that unfunny pretentious pillock Ben Elton.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I loved Benny Hill back then, his TV show was an event that our whole family looked forward to with glee and we all gathered together, of all ages, to watch it. I still love him now and his shows still make me laugh, when I see them.

All that nonsense written about him being sexist, is a load of balderdash. I agree that it was the starting of excessive PC crap that did for him. And as for him being 'grubby' or odd, unless he did something like Savile got up to, then it had no bearing on his talent.

He was a comedy genius.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Yes, please. Give Benny his due. His popularity waned with the onset of 'political correctness' and the advent of 'alternative comedy (now mainstream, ironically) comedy'. He got dumped by broadcasters and, I can't remember who it was, but on a tribute show some other comedian commented about how hurt and baffled he was by this. He reported that Hill had asked "Why is it that my kind of humour is now seen as degrading and shameful (i.e. to women) when we've got an new generation of comedians who can come out with all kinds of foul-mouthed profanity and people think it's funny?" I think he had a point. Even in the smuttiest of his sketches, he was always the butt of the 'joke' whereas some of the comedy that came after him revelled in being nasty and sarcastic about people. So, yep, I'd like to see how they tackled his life story and what happened to him.

Benny Hill was never my cup of tea - maybe I was a bit young - but he makes an excellent point about political correctness yet how really disgusting "comedy" full of vile language and nasty attitudes is absolutely fine. I don't watch modern sitcoms because of these aspects.

There is no denying that Benny Hill is an icon and he should be treated with more respect. Broadcasters are such a ridiculous bunch of people it makes my head hurt.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to a documentary I watched a while ago, Benny lived a simple life and refused to splash out on things like other celebrities did.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Benny Hill was very funny and at his peak was a huge worldwide star. How many British comedians become household names in the USA? Very, very few I'd guess.

Not just the US. I was in Mexico not long after he died, and one of the locals said to me 'You English?? God save the Queen! Why God not save Benny Hill?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    According to a documentary I watched a while ago, Benny lived a simple life and refused to splash out on things like other celebrities did.

He left all his money to a couple of ladies who had cerebral palsy if I remember correctly. I never knew he was so painfully shy until I saw a doc about him over the weekend. Such a shame that people call him "grubby and seedy", I presume because he never married,and turn it into something sinister. Such a shame.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    Grotty and seedy? In what way? :confused:

Well apparently it was expected of some of 'Benny's Girls' or whatever they were called that they should give him a 'hand' now and again, so to speak.

I don't know if this is 100% true, but I vaguely recall one of the women stating that this was the case.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the PC Brigade killing Bennys career is a bit of an entertainment urban myth.

While the times they were a changin, it was the cost to ratings ratio that spurred Thames decision, similar to Stanley Baxters axing.

Benny Hill had moments of verbal and visual comic genius....
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to see Benny Hill around from time to time in the Archers Road area of Southampton in the mid 80s - my student digs were in the road that backed on to the road where he'd kept on his mother's house, and where he lived when he wasn't using his flat in Teddington, and in his later years after he fell out of favour on TV. Used to see him walking up the road and shopping in the little Co-op in Bedford Place. He looked so ordinary, and he was very shy - no one ever bothered him in the street, he was just sort of 'there' in a very ordinary way.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well apparently it was expected of some of 'Benny's Girls' or whatever they were called that they should give him a 'hand' now and again, so to speak.

I don't know if this is 100% true, but I vaguely recall one of the women stating that this was the case.

Yes, I heard that too.

Nothing to do with him being unmarried or a Jimmy Savile type figure; more to do with the fact that he expected intimacy from his 'angels' and I heard that he also liked to use 'ladies of the night'. I also heard (and no, I don't know if any of this is true, but how many of any showbiz rumours do we know as true) that some of the angels used to give him 'sympathy bl*w jobs'.

This is all alleged before anyone jumps down my throat.

Can't join in the cries of 'genius' I'm afraid - it was pathetic, lazy nonsense comedy IMHO that just wasn't funny.

But hey. that's just my opinion and I'm clearly in the minority.
  • Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benny was class and treat shamefully by TV execs.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Very funny and talented man.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Benny Hill. As already mentioned, he was always the butt of a joke, so only people who he reminded them of could get offended :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Very funny and talented man.

I sometimes found him quite funny. He was a bit like Bruce Forsythe in the way that he gave them looks to the camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I heard that too.

Nothing to do with him being unmarried or a Jimmy Savile type figure; more to do with the fact that he expected intimacy from his 'angels' and I heard that he also liked to use 'ladies of the night'. I also heard (and no, I don't know if any of this is true, but how many of any showbiz rumours do we know as true) that some of the angels used to give him 'sympathy bl*w jobs'.

This is all alleged before anyone jumps down my throat.

Can't join in the cries of 'genius' I'm afraid - it was pathetic, lazy nonsense comedy IMHO that just wasn't funny.

But hey. that's just my opinion and I'm clearly in the minority.

And yet your earlier post STATED that he led a grubby and seedy life instead of saying that there was talk of him leading a grubby lifestyle. Stating things based on hearsay can damage someone's reputation. If he did, fair enough. But it's better to find out for sure first.