Allo Allo funny or Offensive?

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
I have the entire series on DVD and me and my 8 year old are watching the show from the start to the end. She is enjoying the show and especially like Officer Crabtree, as every morning she says to me Good Moaning :D. Then at bedtime I say to her listen very carefully I will say this only once bedtime.

Now some people have said that the show is racist and offensive as it shows Nazi Symbols. Thing is every race has the micky taken out of it. The French are randy, Germans are kinky and the British are stupid.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd say it was racial/national stereotypes which a lot of humour is based on.

How is a nazi symbol offensive by itself?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I have the entire series on DVD and me and my 8 year old are watching the show from the start to the end. She is enjoying the show and especially like Officer Crabtree, as every morning she says to me Good Moaning :D. Then at bedtime I say to her listen very carefully I will say this only once bedtime.

Now some people have said that the show is racist and offensive as it shows Nazi Symbols. Thing is every race has the micky taken out of it. The French are randy, Germans are kinky and the British are stupid.

Those people are idiots and should be fully reprimanded for having no sense of humour. The swastika itself is not an offensive symbol; in some cultures it is a peaceful symbol with no ill connotations. I don't see how it can be offensive when being portrayed in a fictional account of that era either.

I'm sick of people taking offence at really daft things!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything can be offensive if you want it to be. Faulty Towers, Dad's Army, pretty much anything could be to discriminate against someone or something.

People need to relax and laugh if no offence was intended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    PS - I think you're a great parent for showing this to your daughter!! The 60s, 70s and 80s were a golden era for British comedy - you're bringing her up right!
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS - I think you're a great parent for showing this to your daughter!! The 60s, 70s and 80s were a golden era for British comedy - you're bringing her up right!

Thanks she loves Fawlty Towers and has liked watching Open All Hours and Porridge as well. Again I have all of these on DVD.

In a way I am envious of her as she is experiencing these classics for the first time and is in hysterics at some of them. Basil attacking his car in particular she really enjoyed. As well as him going DUCK DUCK Quack Quack.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still laugh at some parts yet I remember it on BBC in the late 80's early 90's - the Officer is so funny its like he is actually swearing! ie "piste" sounds more like "pissed" :D:o

Also the german couple that loved each other and the grandma ma ma :)

I don't know if GOLD show it uncut or what but thats where I have been following some of them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    I still laugh at some parts yet I remember it on BBC in the late 80's early 90's - the Officer is so funny its like he is actually swearing! ie "piste" sounds more like "pissed" :D:o

Also the german couple that loved each other and the grandma ma ma :)

I don't know if GOLD show it uncut or what but thats where I have been following some of them

Passing was normally replaced by pissed. like this great line,

"I was pissing by the door, when I herd two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon. You are clearly the guilty potty."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"I was pissing by the door, when I herd two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon. You are clearly the guilty potty."

lmao!!! I forgot "shat" too ... I still like it and I don't find it offensive at all

The only thing I still don't understand from the series is what the hell was the waitresses fascinating with rene - it was like they were horny as hell
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If all the humour was based on national stereotypes then it might be a bad influence. But it wasn't. A lot of it is very well written farce, as was Fawlty Towers.

Quality dropped towards the end of the run though. Scripts were not as good and new cast members not really up to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    If all the humour was based on national stereotypes then it might be a bad influence. But it wasn't. A lot of it is very well written farce, as was Fawlty Towers.

Quality dropped towards the end of the run though. Scripts were not as good and new cast members not really up to it.

I agree David Jansen is a good actor and I liked him as Mrs Buckets postman and "Poofhouse" Richardson in Get Some In (if anyone remembers that one). Though he was miscast as Herr-Flick as really Richard Gibson is the only Herr-Flick. Richard has since said if he had known the 9th series was going to be the last one. He would have done it.
  • doughnut17doughnut17 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    lmao!!! I forgot "shat" too ... I still like it and I don't find it offensive at all

The only thing I still don't understand from the series is what the hell was the waitresses fascinating with rene - it was like they were horny as hell

It was just a long running gag, that all these young woman found this not particualrly attractive, middle aged overweight man so attractive they couldnt keep their hands off him.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    It's hilarious.

Watched the repeats recently on BBC Two and noticed all the stuff that passed me when I was younger
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doughnut17 wrote: »
    It was just a long running gag, that all these young woman found this not particualrly attractive, middle aged overweight man so attractive they couldnt keep their hands off him.

aaah got you, I just could never understand it (of course I know its a comedy in the first place) was surprised rene's wife never knew lol :o
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What iz the moaning of this threed?
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doughnut17 wrote: »

Not forgetting that Ironicly Gorden Kaye is gay in real life.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Interestingly Officer Crabtree's accent was based on Edward Heath speaking French.

BUT the original French version of the Magic Roundabout had "Pollux" (Dougal) speaking French with a bad English accent - also based on Edward Heath's attempt at French.
    It was voiced by Ivor Wood the English animator.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Very funny.

If offended don't watch.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither funny nor offensive.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The pissing / passing misunderstanding never made the slightest sense though, as the word 'pass' is pronounced exactly the same in French as English ie. as in the French verb 'passer' :)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herr Flick and Herr Von Smallhausen as fish sellers in the market...

Flick: I have ze vinkles!

Smallhausen: I have ze crabs!

:D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was brilliant, Crabtree had me pi$$ing :D
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Funnily offensive.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Allo Allo drinking game. I guarantee you will be under the table, paralytic, every single episode:

"Good moaning"
    Gruber mistakenly interprets something Rene says as a 'come-on'.
    "Ze flashing knobs!"
    Edith sings while everyone stuffs cotton wool in their ears.
    "It is I, Leclerc!"
    Fallen Madonna with ze big boobies is mentioned.
    "Heil Hitler!" "Klop!"
    Maria/Mimi/Yvette makes a pass at Rene and Edith catches them at it.
    "You stupid woman"
    Helga makes a pass at Herr Flick.
    "I shall say zis only wance!"
    Herr Flick abuses von Smallhousen.
    "Hello chaps!"
    Rene gets dragged, with extreme reluctance, into a Resistance plot.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How anyone can find this offensive is beyond me. In fact if you do some reading on the show you will find it was sold to a lot of countries including France and Germany