Options

Most length of time you've taken off college/school/work?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    4 weeks off college after a jaw operation (technically six, but that includes the Christmas holidays).

I didn't go to lectures at uni, but I don't count it as being 'off' because we only had about 6 hours a week anyway and I did all the readings and work in advance and at home anyway.

That is a long time but don't blame you, obviously you couldn't help you needed an operation either :p

When I was back at college (and this was a long time ago :o) I took about 2 weeks off in one slot just because "I couldn't be bothered". Although we did 3 days a week back then so technically it was 6 days off :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took a year out after my divorce came through and I wanted to travel. Sold the house and lived for a year on the profit we made.
    Loved every minute of it but had to go back to reallife eventually
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 days (a full school week) with a flu-like illness just after I turned 15.
  • Options
    Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 weeks earlier this yr because I had mumps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 months cos I had a tumour removed from my spine.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9 weeks
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed education from around the age of 14 and a half onwards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 weeks when I damaged my ankle.

From illness I think the most was two weeks when I came down with a really bad bug.

Both of those where at school, when I did my NVQ (the only real-ish job I've had) in the over two and a half years I was there I never put in a single day off for illness, I missed I think three days at the very most but that was due to the snow and having to travel by car to the train station then walk about an hour from the train station to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I missed education from around the age of 14 and a half onwards.

Ouch!
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six weeks, after breaking the metacarple bones in my hand.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 1/2 years and counting due to illness.

All being well I hope to return to work next year.

ETA: work have been really good and kept my job open for me to return when I'm able to.
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 weeks, when my dad was dying, plus the funeral etc after. Wouldn't have been as long, except I live 4 hours away from my family, so we basically moved up and camped in my mum's spare room for the duration. My work is big on the whole work/life balance stuff and were fine with it.

My OH had 13 months off after smashing his knee in a bike accident - luckily he's local authority employed - and even then had to go back to a different job as the accident meant he couldn't continue in the same position.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch!

Oh it was fun. I got acquainted with TV :D

Ain't not done me no harm anyways innit.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had 2 weeks off school in year 9 due to a really viral infection in my throat. And I was signed off work last Xmas for 2 weeks with flu, and a bacterial infection. Technically I had 4 weeks off though, as they assigned me 2 weeks holiday which I didn't know about until the day before I was due to go back in!
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had been working at a customer site doing IT Support for about 13 years and my "bosses" decided it was time I moved to another site. So, they moved me and on the way home after just one day at the new place I had a serious cycle accident. It happened on January 31st and I was off work for just over for 4 months. I had only 2 days off in the whole of the 13 years before that.

I was finally pronounced fit to resume work on June 4th. The funny thing was that I was made redundant on June 6th.

I had to laugh at just how ridiculous it all was! :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The longest I didn't do anything at all was between finishing my A Levels in the spring of 1990 and starting University in the October. It was a whole summer of lazing on and the sofa watching TV.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I once had the morinng off to have my broken leg set in plaster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I once had the morinng off to have my broken leg set in plaster

Dare devil :p
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed the last 3 weeks of primary 3 due to tonsillitus leading to blood poisoning, and then missed 3 weeks of primary 4 due to having chinese flu - this was in the same year. And also the reason why even the common cold puts me in my bed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the last 3 weeks of primary 3 due to tonsillitus leading to blood poisoning, and then missed 3 weeks of primary 4 due to having chinese flu - this was in the same year. And also the reason why even the common cold puts me in my bed!

So overall, not that much wrong with you then :D:p Just kidding!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I recently took just under 2 months off from work for a holiday. Yay!

Sick wise the most, maybe a week? I am rarely ill. I think I had a bad chest infection a few years ago so probably took the week off.

Never been off sick (touch wood) for an extended period of time.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    The longest I've been off was 2 and a bit weeks with tonsillitis, I was virtually bed ridden for a week and then just very very weak for the rest of time. It annoys me when people say they have tonsillitis when they have a sore throat. Someone on my facebook is regularly harping on about having it, then the same day she is out on the town.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So overall, not that much wrong with you then :D:p Just kidding!

Hehe, touch wood though I've not really been ill since then, well once at 17 when the doctor wasn't sure if I had meningitis or glandular fever.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I think 2 months but I had appendicitis a good 13 years ago.

I recovered in half the time but it was the last few weeks of school back then so I decided to prepare for next year. :o:p
  • Options
    starinthemakingstarinthemaking Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I think the longest time consecutively has probably been chicken pox when I was eight or tonsilitis which I've had a few times. However last year my college attendance dropped to about 60% thanks to depression leaving me feeling unable to even leave the house for a lot of the latter part of 2010. Thankfully I've improved a lot - my target grades mean I'm going to have to have really high attendance and with full concentration if I want to achieve them :D