TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says no DOI tour for 2013 apparently due to lack of venues

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lack of venues ? The venues still exist. The 2012 Tour must have lost money.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    :(:(:(:(:(

Where's this info come from? Whatever the case, its awful news and I am genuinely really upset by this. I very much doubt its down to last year's tour losing money though - Dancing On Ice doesn't seem to have struggled to fill arenas! Presumably what Tracey means is that the arenas aren't available at the dates required as they've been booked up for other shows already.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's nonsense for a start - perhaps if some of the usual venues are unavailable they should have tried others like Cardiff (no Holiday On Ice for us either this year).

Have to say though I am not overly fussed this year - with likes of Alex & Luk and Sean & Jodeyne and Nina not back that's 3 great pro routines missing for a start.

Can't speak for other venues but the show I was at in Birmingham was rammed.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe its more a case of Jayne and Chris not wanting to spend a month on the road when they would rather be at home with their families, I'm not knocking that and who could blame them after the months of work they put in getting the TV show ready!
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    :(:(:(:(:(

Where's this info come from? Whatever the case, its awful news and I am genuinely really upset by this. I very much doubt its down to last year's tour losing money though - Dancing On Ice doesn't seem to have struggled to fill arenas! Presumably what Tracey means is that the arenas aren't available at the dates required as they've been booked up for other shows already.

info came from the official DOI website
    Forum Member
    TraceyUK wrote: »
    info came from the official DOI website

Cheers. Seems crazy that the site is saying there will be a tour in 2014 though - and here was me thinking this could be the end of the DOI brand! If they're so sure they can do a tour in over a year, why not push the 2013 tour back a few months, say to summer when arenas have less shows on? :confused:
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The no venues bit does not make sense. The Tour is on at the same time every year. Surely the venues are block booked in advance for say.... a five year stretch for the same weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    The no venues bit does not make sense. The Tour is on at the same time every year. Surely the venues are block booked in advance for say.... a five year stretch for the same weeks.

I doubt it. Events at arenas vary all the time.

Very disappointed at no tour next year. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww that is a shame, I couldn't go this year as I was very preggers so was looking forward to going next year. :(
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister-in-law has never seen the tour live so we said we would take her for her birthday next year. :(
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Was gonna take my nan :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    It's a shame, the DOI tour had become a fixture for me in April/May time since 2008, I've been travelling up and down the country seeing it for the last 5 years. However I suppose it does save a good bit of money, when you take into account the hefty price of a ticket, plus travel, accommodation etc, it does make for a very pricey time.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the tour every year but wasn't planning on going next year anyway as it is getting too repetitive. Once every 2 years would be better :)

The venue I went to last year (Liverpool, day time) wasn't full so maybe that could be a reason if it's not selling as well as it used ti.
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I have seen the tour every year but wasn't planning on going next year anyway as it is getting too repetitive. Once every 2 years would be better :)

The venue I went to last year (Liverpool, day time) wasn't full so maybe that could be a reason if it's not selling as well as it used ti.

How can the tour be repetitive when they have different people every year!? :confused: I think its a shame that most, if not all, of the latest bunch of celebs won't get the experience of doing a tour - and I would have loved to have seen some of them!
    Forum Member
    For some of you who are disapointed about the lack of a tour next year - have you thought about going to see a different ice show instead to make up for it? Celebrities On Ice at Peterborough in January has some ex-DOI stars in it, and then there's always regular shows like Hot Ice in Blackpool. Holiday On Ice always do good productions as well, although I don't know when they'll be back in the UK as their latest show has just finished over here.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    TraceyUK wrote: »
    As the title says no DOI tour for 2013 apparently due to lack of venues

A bit of research shows

il Divo and Katherine Jenkins have the sunday it was in Newcastle last year

Wembley has nothing booking for the week it was there last year

Manchester arena though has One Direction and something else at the same sates DOI had in 2012.

Its not known if they booked someone to fill the empty DOI slot (One Direction is a one day return visit) or someone got there before doi
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can the tour be repetitive when they have different people every year!? :confused: I think its a shame that most, if not all, of the latest bunch of celebs won't get the experience of doing a tour - and I would have loved to have seen some of them!

Some celebrities appear more than one year in a row, and there is a limit to how much the celebrities can do so the routines all end up a bit samey.

Hopefully by skipping a year it will come back fresher and they will have the best celebrities from 2 years to choose from so we don't end up with people who are pretty rubbish (e.g. Andy Whyment, Denise Welch etc)
  • ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of new professional dancers in the lineup this year. Perhaps they think the public won't have taken to them enough to buy tickets to see them in 2013.
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of new professional dancers in the lineup this year. Perhaps they think the public won't have taken to them enough to buy tickets to see them in 2013.

3 new pros is hardly a lot, we've had more than that in the past and they still toured.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its hardly a lot of new pros. 3 brand new pros and 2 returning one of whom came third and was extremely on the show and on the tour so I hardly think pro popularity is an issue.

There was outcry when Fred and Mel left that didn't stop them doing the tour the next year with the new pros who have ended up all being popular.

I think its a bit unfair on the incoming pros that people already don't seem to want to give them a chance. Alex and Lucasz and Sean and Jodeyne were all new and ended up being loved by the public.

I think there are more reasons to there being no tour than what they have said but don't think its down to new pro skaters somehow.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a huge shame. I went to the tour for three years running and always enjoyed it, but I think that saying its due to a lack of venues is just a smokescreen because the Strictly tour is still happening, The last series was very poor and it was reflected in the ratings, maybe they didn't make any money from it? I think this next series could be the last TBH, it's probably make or break for it in 2013 and if its rates as poorly again it could be curtains for DOI.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a huge shame. I went to the tour for three years running and always enjoyed it, but I think that saying its due to a lack of venues is just a smokescreen because the Strictly tour is still happening, The last series was very poor and it was reflected in the ratings, maybe they didn't make any money from it? I think this next series could be the last TBH, it's probably make or break for it in 2013 and if its rates as poorly again it could be curtains for DOI.

Well there is apparently a tour planned for 2014 with tickets going on sale for it early 2013 so you would think they would want a show to go with the tour. If there was no tv show there might not be as much interest in a tour although you would have those that buy the tickets when they first go on sale a lot of people decide last minute depending on the show results so still think you would potentially need that to kick start a tour.

Also my own personal thoughts and this is just my own is that DOI will finish 2014 with T&D finishing up at that point as 2014 is the 30th anniversary of Bolero so would seem a good time to finish. Also why I think the tour this year has been scrapped so they can pull out all the stops for the 2014 one.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    For some of you who are disapointed about the lack of a tour next year - have you thought about going to see a different ice show instead to make up for it? Celebrities On Ice at Peterborough in January has some ex-DOI stars in it, and then there's always regular shows like Hot Ice in Blackpool. Holiday On Ice always do good productions as well, although I don't know when they'll be back in the UK as their latest show has just finished over here.

I don't think my nan would like the shows with just the professionals in it, She likes to watch her faves from the actual show :( and I she didn't like Chico, Lisa, Ray or Kyran so that rules that one out :(

Maybe the reason they didn't do one for 2013 was cos none of the stars could do it? (Can't imagine Pamela, Oona, Pamela, Samia, Gareth etc being free) and they were left with people that wouldn't pull the buyers in (Matthew, Anthea, Matthew L, Lauren,Keith)