silent witness on bbc1 now

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was rather silly when the forensics guy attacked the suspect in the hotel room. Not very professional and would risk tainting any evidence. The bleakness of it all was very Scandinavian.
  • Chrisca50Chrisca50 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Since when did forensic people interview suspects????? I know it's all make believe and not real life but some of the stuff in this series is so far fetched - that's my whinging complete
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this as dull as ditch water. Not only that on every club scene the music was that loud it made my old deaf dog jump!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chrisca50 wrote: »
    Since when did forensic people interview suspects????? I know it's all make believe and not real life but some of the stuff in this series is so far fetched - that's my whinging complete

They are trying to Americanise this show too much with, as you said the forensics guy interviewing the suspects and also the police from the other area pulling rank telling the other cop that it was not his jurisdiction. That doesn't happen in this country.
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think DS MacNeil (Gary Lewis) should get his own series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think DS MacNeil (Gary Lewis) should get his own series

He's a great character actor.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked this third story (from yest first epsiode). They seem to be getting better each case, which is more pref than getting worse, though would be great if they were all on par (or there abouts). However, am fascinated with this story, a serial killer is always of interest (to me) because they have an apetite to kill as opposed to randomly doing it out of defence or desperation or whatever but would never intentionally kill unlike some person that wants to repetatively seek that thrill (or whatever the emotion is).

I share people's question marks over the patholegists having so much involvement at points during the case outside of the lab (where they do all their science). Aside from gathering evidence at the scene (which can of course be outside) I wasn't aware that they did actual investigative work outside of their scientific findings in the lab. Sure they talk to police when giving their findings, but how often they they go out of their way to investigate places and people (like Jack did). I just presumed they were called up to gather the evidence if the police thought something to be such. But, I liked this story and hope it concludes well (in sense of crime drama well, as opposed to disney drama happy ending well).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrisca50 wrote: »

Well they do in the US in CSI, that I have always found strange, as well as go out to get the suspects, sometimes I think there is only CSI and no police to do that job.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best story of the series so far. Much better than the other two stories in previous weeks. Anyone think it's the woman's husband, who managed to get away five years before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best story of the series so far. Much better than the other two stories in previous weeks. Anyone think it's the woman's husband, who managed to get away five years before?

No. He's a wimp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a whos who of Scottish film and tv actors
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught ten minutes of this nonsense trying to pass itself as serious, worthy drama, and then switched it over. They're digging up a body, and coming to the shocking conclusion that there's no jewellery on this or other bodies they've found.... shock, horror, shudder... cue the serious music.... 'trophies'? she says with bated breath.

Draw the obvious conclusion. A serial killer. YAWN.

What next? A Superintendent threatening to fling the book at, and then suspend a maverick cop if he doesn't shape up and get with the programme. Typical British drama that's gone way beyond its sell by date. Rehashed, cliched rubbish we've seen a million times before.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    When this team start going around interrogating people, do they ever get told to **** off?
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series has been incredible. My least favourite story of the series, but incredibly well acted and written. I do like to create my suspect pool at the end of the first episode, and although I guess it right several times (Tonight and last weeks), it doesn't ruin the episode at all though. Unlike other shows of this type, when you can figure out the murderer and the rest of the episode is dull. But no, even if it is solvable, its still so interesting!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    fickrick wrote: »
    its a whos who of Scottish film and tv actors

It did seem like a job creation scheme for Scottish actors left a bit short after Taggart finished and River City had a shakeout, I still thought it was a good couple of episodes though
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded this then flicked through most of it and gave up with it as it's a nonsense.

I was totally, "forensick."

Half of with which these people get involved, would never happen. They aren't the police and the "bluescreen/greenscreen" effects were just irritating.
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I recorded this then flicked through most of it and gave up with it as it's a nonsense.

I was totally, "forensick."

Half of with which these people get involved, would never happen. They aren't the police and the "bluescreen/greenscreen" effects were just irritating.

I agree...watched enough to see it is nonsense and would never happen in the ways they show. CSI started ruining crime shows years ago, when they started showing lab techs interviewing murder suspects, lol. So stupid and annoying. Make those characters police if you are determined to have them interact with criminals. Lab techs never see anyone, until they sometimes appear in court to explain some arcane scientific procedure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How could he hear her talking to him when he was firing the gun and wearing headphones over his ears?
  • ClanroydenClanroyden Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the latest episode, but so many problems with the level of realism. I can usually suspend disbelief but:

If the serial killer was regularly shooting running people in the leg using a deer rifle and telescopic sight then he should be winning gold medals at the Olympics rather than wasting his time in a Deer forest.

Throwing your rifle on the ground means that the next time you come to use it you probably wouldn't be able to hit a barn wall with it from inside the barn until you've zeroed it in.

The outbuilding where the Deer stalking guy was shown cutting up the carcase was a filthy barn. Since the 90s, if you want to sell venison, all facilities have to pass similar hygiene and cleanliness tests as the meat industry, so there would be white tiled rooms properly fitted out. With 20 rifles he was obviously running a commercial enterprise of some sort.

It was mentioned several times that he owned 20 firearms as if that was unusual. If he was taking out shooting parties, as he was shown doing at the start, it would be normal. These days about the only place you can own a deer rifle is if you live in a Scottish deer forest.

But anyway, Nikki looked good as always so it wasn't all bad.
  • ClanroydenClanroyden Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    How could he hear her talking to him when he was firing the gun and wearing headphones over his ears?

The earphone, ear protectors they were using were modern ones that cut out all noises over a certain decibel level, but have microphones on the outside that allow normal voices to be heard while you are wearing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clanroyden wrote: »
    The earphone, ear protectors they were using were modern ones that cut out all noises over a certain decibel level, but have microphones on the outside that allow normal voices to be heard while you are wearing them.

Ooooh fancy. They think of everything these days :D
  • Chrisca50Chrisca50 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    The problem is if they didn't follow the investigation along with the detectives, the storyline would leave them back in their labs in their white coats. The story has got to be a bit realistic though and that's why I'm not enjoying this as much as before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was another show fairly recently where a serial killer chased his female victims like this guy and one of his victims jumped off a cliff instead of being chased which he wanted her to do. Trying to recall which show it was.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bebecat wrote: »
    I agree...watched enough to see it is nonsense and would never happen in the ways they show. CSI started ruining crime shows years ago, when they started showing lab techs interviewing murder suspects, lol. So stupid and annoying. Make those characters police if you are determined to have them interact with criminals. Lab techs never see anyone, until they sometimes appear in court to explain some arcane scientific procedure.

Tell that to the makers of Dexter! He even works in the Miami Metro police station!
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was another show fairly recently where a serial killer chased his female victims like this guy and one of his victims jumped off a cliff instead of being chased which he wanted her to do. Trying to recall which show it was.
    It wasn't an episode of Criminal Minds was it? As they 'specialize' in serial killers :)

I enjoyed these two episodes, probably more than the previous one.
    I have always enjoyed Silent Witness since Emelia Fox took over (hated Amanda Burton), and I can put up with plot holes, unlikely procedure, etc.
    But please.... I wish they would turn up the lights!
    I know this has been said before (many times) and I know they are trying to set a dark scene, but I really would like to be able to see the characters' faces!