Panic attack?

BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me on what I've been experiencing. What it is, is that I get this weird feeling in my stomache as though I've been kicked and winded and then it works up towards my chest and throat making it feel tight and hard to swallow. My face also goes bright red and hot and I get a throbbing sensation in my head and also my body feels prickly all over. The first time this happened was last week and it's just happened again and it lasts about 15-20 mins,I do suffer with anxiety so could it be a panic attack or something more serious?

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Possibly so but if it becomes a re-occurring phenomenon then I'd strongly suggest a consultation with your GP. Good luck! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is your heart rate doing?
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Area88 wrote: »
    What is your heart rate doing?

Normal I think, I didn't really notice a change.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panic attacks can cause a wide range of symptoms and as a suffer myself this does sound like the kind of thing that can happen with a full blown panic. 20 -30 minutes is around the amount of time that it takes for the body to burn through it's adrenaline supplies after which the panic tends to run out of steam.

It might be worth having a chat with your GP to eliminate a physical cause, and also to see if you can get access to a stress control or a CBT course which can be very effective at teaching ways to take the edge off the attacks.

It is possible to deal with them on your own, but in many people panic attacks can escalate into more serious problems like avoidance or agoraphobia if they are not well controlled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    What causes these symptoms
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could certainly be a panic attack - the prickly sensation may be caused by hyperventilating BUT the symptoms could also possibly be caused by a food allergy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No idea, the both times this has happened I was sat down doing nothing.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly sounds like a panic attack and I notice you said you already suffer from anxiety. You can experience a whole wide range of symptoms of anxiety and attacks.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Adrenaline.

A panic attack is where the body overreacts to anxiety by producing as much adrenaline as it possibly can, this causes the entire nervous system to overload. At the same time most folks hyperventilate disrupting the balance between CO2 and oxygen in the blood. This affects most organs in the body (but most notably the heart), the net result is a wide range of very intense and unpleasant symptoms.

The one upside is that the whole process does not do any harm to the body, and once the body runs out of adrenaline (usually within 20-30 minutes), the symptoms subside, though some people feel a bit tired and washed out.

While a lot of people have obvious triggers for their attacks, some people don't and they can come on entirely out of the blue. It is possible with practice to control some o the physical reactions if you notice one coming on (especially breathing control which makes a huge different) , which makes them easier to bear.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 11,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP go see your doctor

For me PAs start in ya brain and the crux of most is a total fear of death..youve not mentioned that..hence dont explain it away to yourself..go see your doctor
  • .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having had panic attacks and agoraphobia for many years I would say NO...not part of it!!! Hope you are Ok!!
  • CooterCooter Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    My panic attacks happen while eating in a crowded place ie restaurants etc but only normally when I'm sitting down. My symptoms are slight clammyness, unable to swallow, small jittery body movements, fear of everything falling on me like a constant crushing rolling wave.

Sounds awful but nobody really notices and I just remove myself politely but firmly from my surroundings asap. I'm quite chilled out generally so these things really piss me off.

Anyway if what I'm having are panic attacks then the symptoms are a lot different from yours.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me on what I've been experiencing. What it is, is that I get this weird feeling in my stomache as though I've been kicked and winded and then it works up towards my chest and throat making it feel tight and hard to swallow. My face also goes bright red and hot and I get a throbbing sensation in my head and also my body feels prickly all over. The first time this happened was last week and it's just happened again and it lasts about 15-20 mins,I do suffer with anxiety so could it be a panic attack or something more serious?

Nothing like any panic attacks I've ever had.

However, I've experienced something like the first part of what you describe: a very, very strange and unpleasant feeling somewhere around my stomach, and migrating over the course of 20 minutes to nearer my back. First happened a few years ago, then repeated 28 days later, then once or twice since. No idea what it was, I think I just put it down to a random manifestion of my Lyme disease.

I also suffer from visual migraines, another kind of phenomenon that might also last 20 minutes, sometimes less or more depending on severity. That I think is due to some spasm in the nervous system. Anyway, see a GP just in case, although they don't like when you don't have symptoms they can see or measure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My panic attacks start with a tightening in the chest which rapidly progresses to shortness of breath, racing pulse, crying, hyperventilating/feeling as though I am having a asthma attack and/or heart attack and a general sense of not having any control over my body or thoughts or environment. Mine usually calm down within 30 mins if I am with someone, when alone they can last a lot longer but not at the same intensity.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Can I ask the OP what you normally drink? water? diluten juice? fresh fruit juice? fizzy pop?

many diluten juice, fruit juice and fizzy juice contain a lot of artificial chemicals, sweeteners and sugars. many of these, aspartame in particular, cause panic attacks, irritability, skin rashes.

many people turn to green tea, and water. once used to them the feelings of anxiety are greatly reduced or go altogether
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have suggested it's best to go and see your GP

I've had panic attacks on more than one occasion and it's horrible. My symptoms were a racing pounding heart, breathing felt constricted and the fear it may be something more serious (Like a heart attack) making the scariness worse. My muscles around my chest and throat were sore for sometime afterwards. Taking deep slow breaths helped with me.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »

Something like that happened to me once. I was lying in bed and felt weird, so I got up and was pacing the room, shaking my hands as they felt prickly, I was panicking a bit too! Lasted about the same time. There was no reason for it, and it's never occurred again, this was about 5 years ago. Weird.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    My panic attacks start with a tightening in the chest which rapidly progresses to shortness of breath, racing pulse, crying, hyperventilating/feeling as though I am having a asthma attack and/or heart attack and a general sense of not having any control over my body or thoughts or environment. Mine usually calm down within 30 mins if I am with someone, when alone they can last a lot longer but not at the same intensity.

I only have PA's at night and they are as described above. Never experienced one in the daytime. My heart feels like its going to burst out of my chest. I also get a dreadful feeling of a need to rip open the window blind because the feeling of not being able to breathe is so overwhelming. I have on numerous occasions honestly felt I was going to die.

I now use breathing techniques and repeatedly chant positive thoughts in my head. I will hum or count ( all in my head) because your body and mind can't panic whist your mind is busy with other thoughts.

Also Bach Rescue Remedy spray helps.

To anyone who has suffered with or is suffering with PA's you have my deepest sympathy.

OP you should visit your doc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone who has replied and for all your advice. I didn't go to the doctors, I'll just see how I go on, if it happens again I'll be sure to go!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask the OP what you normally drink? water? diluten juice? fresh fruit juice? fizzy pop?

many diluten juice, fruit juice and fizzy juice contain a lot of artificial chemicals, sweeteners and sugars. many of these, aspartame in particular, cause panic attacks, irritability, skin rashes.

many people turn to green tea, and water. once used to them the feelings of anxiety are greatly reduced or go altogether

Water and tea mainly.