What happened to the orange tmobile 3G share?

Comments

• JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still a bit of upgrades to go yet..

Well they are not lying about them also using BT but it doesn't matter if it's an Infinity area or not. Just like a lot of areas where Virgin provide EE's backhaul there is no residential Virgin services!

Ahh right okay. I thought there would be. As I thought it could be unlikely for them to lay out one fibre cable for the mast. But I they were laying then down for residential it would co inside.

Learnt something new today :)
  • srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    There are still EE sites that are to be upgraded in the Torquay area. (consolidated)

Is your work near to any of the locations i just PM'd you?

Do you know whats going on in the Chester/Mold/Flint area? Three have DCHSDPA active but on EE i'm always on Orange cells getting 1-2mbps if I'm lucky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    Any news what is happening in Leicester with 4G ? The EE stores and customer services originally said the whole of the centre would be covered by 07/03 then said been pushed back to today but still nothing. The original press release said Leicester would be done by March

More towns light up, including Leicester!!

https://explore.ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/ee-4g-live-in-50-towns-and-cities-just-five-months-after-launch

;)
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PollyPerm wrote: »

Norwich better be in the next 30 locations...
  • NeilgcalNeilgcal Posts: 60
    Forum Member

Just had a look at the EE coverage map and Newcastle in Northern Ireland now seems to have a tiny splash of blue!
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a surprise at all that yet again they are all English locations...

I note that this time the haven't announced a date for a further number of locations like they have done in the past...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »

I note that this time the haven't announced a date for a further number of locations like they have done in the past...

I thought they said it'll be by June.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »

Still with a very heavy northern/midlands bias at that.

The south west is looking very under-represented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    They've obviously concentrated on population instead of geographic area. It's so telling that they now have 50% of the population covered, but when you look at the map, its not a great deal of the geography.

Of course, we all know that most of the population lives in urban dense areas, but it's just interesting to see.

It makes commercial sense I guess?! Not helpful to all you technophiles that live in the sticks tho
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've obviously concentrated on population instead of geographic area. It's so telling that they now have 50% of the population covered, but when you look at the map, its not a great deal of the geography.

Of course, we all know that most of the population lives in urban dense areas, but it's just interesting to see.

It makes commercial sense I guess?! Not helpful to all you technophiles that live in the sticks tho

The population of Newbury (one of the places that has EE 4G) is 60,000.

The population of Plymouth (no 4G except for the cell site covering the former Orange call centre) is 258,000.

The population of Harpenden (4G from today) is 28,000.

The population of Exeter (no 4G) is estimated to be at 120,000.

There's something very wrong if they are basing it on population size. It isn't a big deal to me as I don't have an LTE device and don't really want to pay the premium for the service, but there is a definite geographical bias.
  • unouno Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of the areas that are getting 4G currently are just to connect up larger areas like Loughborough announced today's it's a small town but high population of students but by adding 4G there looks better on the maps as now Green pretty much all the way down from Sheffield to Leicester but then it stops and from the south they are creeping up the country with Luton and Buckinghamshire now covered.
    I wonder if the plan is that Northampton and Northants area will be middle area of the country that different engineering teams are working towards as there seems to be no plans for the future for that area so may work all around there and then fill that in at the end of the process.
    I think that EE then need to start moving East with Peterborough and surrounding areas a large non covered place
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It is partly based on Population size.. it starts there and spreads out. Obviously some little places are going to be covered in the process but there are other issues in that the cities that were done first were easier to do hence the bias of England so far.

Parts/Cities in Scotland/Ireland/Wales will see 4G next but mainly because whats needed to do that is in place or shortly will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bump. Can't let this drop into page 3!!!

Any new news?
  • unouno Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Coventry today and had 50mb download and 21mb upload on EE 4G the fastest I have seen yet and actually beats my fibre connection at home easily.
  • steffanglsteffangl Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Visual voicemail still not available on Orange. I wonder what the hold up is?...
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Plymouth LTE cell really slow today. 15 down, 12 up. Can't have been fibered yet. Must be still on microwave.
    I was just about to bump this Davy. You got there first :)
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    I was in Coventry today and had 50mb download and 21mb upload on EE 4G the fastest I have seen yet and actually beats my fibre connection at home easily.

That one however probably does have fibre!
    steffangl wrote: »
    Visual voicemail still not available on Orange. I wonder what the hold up is?...

Dunno, told all my friends on Orange it was coming, now they're all badgering me for info after seeing mine working.
  • rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    So, this T-Mobile Orange 3G share... What actually happened to it?

Just kidding - Hey everyone! Long time thread peruser, first time poster :D

Reason I've decided to break radio silence is to infact pick your brains i'm afraid - I know! Another newcomer wanting something for nothing - I promise to try and get involved in this thread as I read it every other day anyway!

I live in a small village in North Wales, not a good place for a techy! Anyway, the story go's a little like this:

We have one EE Mast (an Orange 2G microwave relay) from the dark ages covering the surrounding umpteen miles, all other networks have 2G only also. The village receives one bar of outdoor 3G coverage from an MBNL mast in the next village - thats it for coverage here :(

On easter monday, our beloved Orange 2G mast went offline, and so a 5 bar 2G signal has dropped back to no service in 99% of the village, and in my loft I may be lucky and pick up T-Mobile 2G from aforementioned MBNL mast in next village.

Now this Orange 2G mast has been prone to disappearing offline for hours, sometimes days, even weeks at a time - but for the last 6 months has seemed rather stable.

I'm wondering how likely it is that some upgrade work could be going on - or if they're likely to do any when they come to repair... Or am I going to find in a weeks time that they've decided to decommision it or just bring it back online as our ye olde 2G relay...

Cell Site Ref: GWY0030 (Covers LL41 3)

Speculation and inside info will be kindly received !

NB. Phoned Orange who said it would be back up and running on Tuesday (although that just sounds like first working day after easter holidays - and they've given dates on past before and over-shot these by a week). They knew nothing more other than this date - and also contacted them online, to which their reply was they weren't aware of any problems! So mixed responses there! Somewhat suspect phone support was just fobbing me off, bloke didn't sound like he knew his arse from his elbow and "wasn't UK based".

It's 2013, in the mountains of North Wales I never expect to receive 4G - we don't even have 3G on any of the networks, with the exception of one bar unreliably on the third storey of buildings... But a reliable 2G signal would be nice!

Posted from my iPhone which currently says "No Service" lol.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Plymouth LTE cell really slow today. 15 down, 12 up. Can't have been fibered yet. Must be still on microwave.
    I was just about to bump this Davy. You got there first :)

Well we can't have it going to page 3! :)

Remember the pissy looking mast that was right across the road from the tower? The 1 that someone thought was really far away from the other on the pic I posted? That work has been carried out. I have noticed no difference whatsoever though and I am so surprised that it happened at all with the tower being less than 100m away...
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I have a question. At work in the Canary Wharf I get really poor data connection. The signal is fine though.

I heard reading this forums that EE are going to do a cell upgrade. Is there a page where I can check if a cell has been upgraded?
    Forum Member
    So, this T-Mobile Orange 3G share... What actually happened to it?

Just kidding - Hey everyone! Long time thread peruser, first time poster :D

Reason I've decided to break radio silence is to infact pick your brains i'm afraid - I know! Another newcomer wanting something for nothing - I promise to try and get involved in this thread as I read it every other day anyway!

I live in a small village in North Wales, not a good place for a techy! Anyway, the story go's a little like this:

We have one EE Mast (an Orange 2G microwave relay) from the dark ages covering the surrounding umpteen miles, all other networks have 2G only also. The village receives one bar of outdoor 3G coverage from an MBNL mast in the next village - thats it for coverage here :(

On easter monday, our beloved Orange 2G mast went offline, and so a 5 bar 2G signal has dropped back to no service in 99% of the village, and in my loft I may be lucky and pick up T-Mobile 2G from aforementioned MBNL mast in next village.

Now this Orange 2G mast has been prone to disappearing offline for hours, sometimes days, even weeks at a time - but for the last 6 months has seemed rather stable.

I'm wondering how likely it is that some upgrade work could be going on - or if they're likely to do any when they come to repair... Or am I going to find in a weeks time that they've decided to decommision it or just bring it back online as our ye olde 2G relay...

Cell Site Ref: GWY0030 (Covers LL41 3)

Speculation and inside info will be kindly received !

NB. Phoned Orange who said it would be back up and running on Tuesday (although that just sounds like first working day after easter holidays - and they've given dates on past before and over-shot these by a week). They knew nothing more other than this date - and also contacted them online, to which their reply was they weren't aware of any problems! So mixed responses there! Somewhat suspect phone support was just fobbing me off, bloke didn't sound like he knew his arse from his elbow and "wasn't UK based".

It's 2013, in the mountains of North Wales I never expect to receive 4G - we don't even have 3G on any of the networks, with the exception of one bar unreliably on the third storey of buildings... But a reliable 2G signal would be nice!

Posted from my iPhone which currently says "No Service" lol.:rolleyes:
    I have no idea but it sounds to me like it won't be turned off, especially in an area like that. There's probably someone on here with a better idea though.
    If it does go off, you're stuffed, if it doesn't it'll get 3G in the next year and LTE in the next 18 months... probably!
  • Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    springy wrote: »
    I have a question. At work in the Canary Wharf I get really poor data connection. The signal is fine though.

I heard reading this forums that EE are going to do a cell upgrade. Is there a page where I can check if a cell has been upgraded?

Every cell site within the M25 is to be upgraded and or renewed by the end of June according to EE's website.
  • rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I have no idea but it sounds to me like it won't be turned off, especially in an area like that. There's probably someone on here with a better idea though.
    If it does go off, you're stuffed, if it doesn't it'll get 3G in the next year and LTE in the next 18 months... probably!

If it go's off, you're bang on the nail with me being stuffed!
    Only choose to go with an MVNO of EE because it gave me 3G in surrounding areas and a SOLID 2G backup at home "in the vilaaaage" lol.

Second best option for me would be EDGE via Vodafone, every other network is GPRS only here - but really don't fancy joining Vodafone, their nearest 3G mast is about 45 miles from here!

With regards to us getting 3G in the next 18 months, that i'd like to see! MBNL upgraded a mast we're on the very fringe of, in the next village, about 3 years back and assumed our village wouldn't be too far behind - this village has never had a T-Mobile mast - the one that was MBNL'd was one of their old 2G masts.

I can't believe it's 2013 and not one network has 3G'd us yet - the first operator to do so would have an effective monopoly!

4G... Well... I would love to see it, but think i've more chance of sprouting wings and flying! If i'm wrong I shall take my hat off to you!

Your reply is much appriciated :)
    Forum Member
    If it go's off, you're bang on the nail with me being stuffed!
    Only choose to go with an MVNO of EE because it gave me 3G in surrounding areas and a SOLID 2G backup at home "in the vilaaaage" lol.

Second best option for me would be EDGE via Vodafone, every other network is GPRS only here - but really don't fancy joining Vodafone, their nearest 3G mast is about 45 miles from here!

With regards to us getting 3G in the next 18 months, that i'd like to see! MBNL upgraded a mast we're on the very fringe of, in the next village, about 3 years back and assumed our village wouldn't be too far behind - this village has never had a T-Mobile mast - the one that was MBNL'd was one of their old 2G masts.

I can't believe it's 2013 and not one network has 3G'd us yet - the first operator to do so would have an effective monopoly!

4G... Well... I would love to see it, but think i've more chance of sprouting wings and flying! If i'm wrong I shall take my hat off to you!

Your reply is much appriciated :)
    By the end of 2014 very nearly every single EE mast will have EDGE, DC-HSDPA and LTE. That is what they are doing. As long as it stays, it'll get integrated into the MBNL network, have the new state of the art 2G EDGE and LTE.
    We still have some old EDGE Orange masts down here but gradually they are being 3G'd. You just need to wait. it will happen soon.
    Is this mast anywhere near another T-Mobile mast? If it's not and it covers a fairly wide area then it'll very likely stay and be upgraded.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry just realised you said there was an MBNL mast giving a 1 bar signal. How far away it this mast in a straight line would you say?
  • steffanglsteffangl Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I wonder what EE mean when they say:

"By the end of April 2013 we should have completed most of the upgrade programme in the following cities: Cardiff, Southampton, Derby, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow."

Currently in Cardiff all the old Orange equipment is still in place and operational. Not 1 Orange site I've passed has been converted to T-Mobile. T-Mobile 3G speeds are averaging ~3Mbps on my nearest 5 cells. Reasonable, but not amazing.

By "completed most of the upgrade program" I was hopeful this would mean new 'T-Mobile' antennas and equipment on old Orange sites to be kept; decommissioning of duplicate Orange sites; and Sync-E backhaul (or equivalent) on all sites. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem likely to be done by the end of April.

Another quick question - When an old Orange site gets upgraded into MBNL are they changing it so the site transmits as T-Mobile, or are they retaining Orange.
This discussion has been closed.