The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    that sounds really interesting, I think id seen things which seem to imply that people with dementia remember details from the distant past, but not the recent past.....which was why one home built a 50s street in the garden of the home.....

its odd getting old isnt it, peoples bodies are relatively fit, but their minds dont always seem to keep up.

The home I used to work in had a corridor called Memory Lane where they had old pictures and other things on the walls.
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    nyannie what are boulangerie potatos? they sound interesting.

I m sort of snow bound here, its one of those odd situations where the secondary school around the corner is shut, but the primary school next door is open....so it depend whether I want to be snow bound or not???

I think not.........so will be taking the car out shortly, but it is odd, How some things can work normally and others cant.

Im just a bit amazed that if we wanted to...as a community.... we could make it a lot essier. I can see how the snow does keep some people indoors, cos the pavements and sideroads round here are terrible, but if someone bothered to come along with a snow scraper on the front of a tractor, it would be useable.

Basically they are potatoes sliced very thinly and cooked in chicken stock with onions that have been sauted in butter, thyme, garlic and bay leaves. Add parsley. You put the potatoes and onions in layers and cook for an hour. They were very good although o/h thought there were too many onions. You could also substitute vegetable stock I guess.

Our little cul de sac is very community-minded. One of us does shopping another helps those of us with bad backs to clear our driveway and the road and we all share food if the weather is too bad.

I spent yesterday morning calling elderly friends to make sure they were on their own.

Going to a friend's house for lunch today. Hope it isn't too slippery out - -3.3 degrees at the moment.
    Forum Member
    loving jjj wrote: »
    The home I used to work in had a corridor called Memory Lane where they had old pictures and other things on the walls.

We used that for our relative who suffered from dementia. Unfortunately he didn't remember anything.

Of all the awful conditions dementia is one of the worst as it robs a person of their dignity and their personality.

I think you are doing a wonderful thing loving.
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Isn't it cold? It is colder here than it was in Washington.

I watched part of Obama's inauguration. I really hope he gets his legislation through. Unfortunately the House has a Republican majority so it will be very difficult for him. I got a tingle watching so many people listening to him and just thought about one of the differences between the US and UK - somehow, bad as things are in the US, Americans have a hope and optimism and pride in being American that I just don't see here - the Olympics helped, but can't see much optimism around here and things have been much worse in the US economically.
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    evening all....interesting comments about the American election,

it is strange in a way how little real pride The British , take in our nation, but ......I dont know how you could start to change this......??

what has everyone been up to?
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Evening JJat

well its snowing again
    i,m still buried under the last lot :eek:

hope all are well

but a good weekend for me (sports wise)

Liverpool won 5 - 0
    and the San Francisco 49ers
    have made it to the Super Bowl ( 3 Cheers) :p

off to read around to see
    what everyone been up to :D
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    I can't believe it....I just looked out and it's snowing heavily again!!!! :eek:

After I got my car out and fully de-iced etc today....now it's disappearing again under a white blanket :(

Got to leave early in the morning and will need extra time now for de-icing.....better get going.

Night all :yawn:

Sleep tight :sleep: :sleep:

Lindy xx

PS 5 - 0 Yayyy :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    I can't believe it....I just looked out and it's snowing heavily again!!!! :eek:

After I got my car out and fully de-iced etc today....now it's disappearing again under a white blanket :(

Got to leave early in the morning and will need extra time now for de-icing.....better get going.

Lindy xx

Morning all. It snowed here too but not much thank goodness. Hope the ice melts or I will be housebound.

Take care everyone and keep safe!
    Forum Member

Lindy xx

Good morning

i took a soft headed broom to my car
    and just swept all the snow off :o

it snowing here again (this minute)
    but i,m all cosy in my fleece
    watching the cricket
    so not to bad here (but would be a great day if we could get the win) :D
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all. It snowed here too but not much thank goodness. Hope the ice melts or I will be housebound.

Take care everyone and keep safe!

You to Nyannie
    look after yourself
    keep safe and warm :D
    Forum Member
    Hello again!

Just been thinking to myself. (Bad I know). Wonder if we should have a new thread soon!
    Forum Member
    Hello again!

Just been thinking to myself. (Bad I know). Wonder if we should have a new thread soon!

its talking to yourself thats bad nyannie :o

thinking is good :D

i agree with you
    should be a new thread soon

P.s not looking good in the cricket (i think we are going to lose)
    :(
    Forum Member
    Lost :(

of to sulk :o

well a nap really :D
  • GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Hello again!

New thread? Now, come on - don't be so extravagant - just as we got this one all comfy, like an old shoe. Hmm - come to think of it, it may pong a bit!

I've been watching the tennis, not the cricket, and that Federer v Tsonga match was absolutely riveting, with brilliant play from both. I love a good meaty five setter!

Now, who do I support in the semi-final. Feds plays so beautifully, but Murray tries so hard.... Tricky! But Federer is very attractive...:o
    Forum Member
    New thread? Now, come on - don't be so extravagant - just as we got this one all comfy, like an old shoe. Hmm - come to think of it, it may pong a bit!

I've been watching the tennis, not the cricket, and that Federer v Tsonga match was absolutely riveting, with brilliant play from both. I love a good meaty five setter!

Now, who do I support in the semi-final. Feds plays so beautifully, but Murray tries so hard.... Tricky! But Federer is very attractive...:o

Well, a new thread would cheer me up!

Hope you had a good sleep georgy.

Who won? I am a Federer supporter through and through - he is one of the oldies left and I'd love him to win a few more Grand Slams before he retires - which may be this year. He has a beautiful way of hitting the ball. Such grace that none of the other players have.

It is times like these that I wish I had Sky. Would love to watch tennis, cricket, American ice hockey and rugby! As well as some of the new programs they have.

Well, best get back to work - I'm filling in millions of forms for my pain management clinic! We still have snow flurries!
    Forum Member
    Evening JJat

well its snowing again
    i,m still buried under the last lot :eek:

hope all are well

but a good weekend for me (sports wise)

Liverpool won 5 - 0
    and the San Francisco 49ers
    have made it to the Super Bowl ( 3 Cheers)

off to read around to see
    what everyone been up to

Lindy xx

our snow is starting to melt, oh dear I hadnt realised there is more of it on the way.

Got stuck in a traffic jam this morning, a lorry had shed its load of bricks all over the A12, and both directions were totally blocked.

I dont know why, but the A12 is a nightmare road to try and use during rush hour...and the hours before and afterwards. !!!! And it has so many accidents. I think there is usually at least one massive traffic jam a week.:(

I think it must be overcrowding, and a massive rush to get home, people have told me how awful the M25 is for these reasons, but I think the A12 is almost up there. The driving on there is so scary at times, when you have been cut up for about the 3rd or 4th time.

But at least im home now...and can relax..

after ive checked the weather forecast.
    Forum Member
    Well, a new thread would cheer me up!

Hope you had a good sleep georgy.

Who won? I am a Federer supporter through and through - he is one of the oldies left and I'd love him to win a few more Grand Slams before he retires - which may be this year. He has a beautiful way of hitting the ball. Such grace that none of the other players have.

It is times like these that I wish I had Sky. Would love to watch tennis, cricket, American ice hockey and rugby! As well as some of the new programs they have.

Well, best get back to work - I'm filling in millions of forms for my pain management clinic! We still have snow flurries!

All these people watching the sports.......very impressed....

You do also need the time to watch them though!!!!

I saw on twitter that John Seems to have been at a nightclub in Melbourne at the same time as Gaz from Geordie shores, so at least he sounds as if he is still having a bit of fun....:D
  • CrazyChickCrazyChick Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw on twitter that John Seems to have been at a nightclub in Melbourne at the same time as Gaz from Geordie shores, so at least he sounds as if he is still having a bit of fun....:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/crazychick9/John%20James/johnclub_zps5d6c34c4.jpg
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    CrazyChick wrote: »

Hello :)

There's that ring again.....did we ever agree whose it was / why he was wearing it?

Think he looks tired by the way :(
    Forum Member
    Hello :)

There's that ring again.....did we ever agree whose it was / why he was wearing it?

Think he looks tired by the way :(

A little Lindy

but it looks like he was having a late night
    partying :D
    Forum Member
    CrazyChick wrote: »

Thanks for this - it really brightened my cold cold morning!

Hope John had some fun at the nightclub. I thought he didn't like to go. I always thought the ring he wore was his father's, but I could be wrong.

How are we all today? Must catch up with letter writing - objection to a planning application, letter to bank and friends. Can you believe I have a friend who doesn't have a computer? Still, it is nice to get letters in the post.

Georgy - I had a friend in high school whose brother played for the San Francisco 49ers. We used to get free tickets when they played a New York Team. Looking back, I really did some great things when I was young.
  • jackyo55jackyo55 Posts: 19,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little Lindy

but it looks like he was having a late night
    partying :D

apparently it was bought for him for his 21st birthday by his parents - he was asked when he was over last summer when he was out and about when staying with mario :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this - it really brightened my cold cold morning!

Hope John had some fun at the nightclub. I thought he didn't like to go. I always thought the ring he wore was his father's, but I could be wrong.

How are we all today? Must catch up with letter writing - objection to a planning application, letter to bank and friends. Can you believe I have a friend who doesn't have a computer? Still, it is nice to get letters in the post.

Georgy - I had a friend in high school whose brother played for the San Francisco 49ers. We used to get free tickets when they played a New York Team. Looking back, I really did some great things when I was young.

It was a lovely surprise :D

Lucky you with the 49ers
    been American football fan for a long time now
    all through the Joe Montana Golden years
    but its a long time since we have been to the super bowl
    might even have a super bowl party :D

good luck with the letter writing, nothing quite like a good old
    moan about planning applications :D
    Forum Member
    jackyo55 wrote: »
    apparently it was bought for him for his 21st birthday by his parents - he was asked when he was over last summer when he was out and about when staying with mario :)

Thank you jackyo

thats what i heard also :D
This discussion has been closed.