susan boyle rumours

Comments

• NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In short, I don't see how you can possibly put even a ballpark estimate on her current bank balance, or to state as fact that she still has 'most' of her earnings.

Unless they are her accountant they can't ;) Being fed a PR line & lapping it up as that is what fans want to believe. As I said this is about an underdog gaining success & the whole phenomina tapped into a core of folks who bought the story. It made them feel good. The PR team 'must' maintain that because the moment the sour bit of this becomes apparent the bubble is burst & folks realise that the fairytale isn't going to have a happy ending.
  • thistledounthistledoun Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    trennie wrote: »
    Yeah, well, apparently no one told Susan. She's just returned from a vacation in Spain (lots of Twitpics) stopped off at the spa at Stobo Castle, went to see Barbara Dickson at the Rep in Dundee and will start promoting her CD #4 in the next couple of weeks and may drop in at a couple of performances of the Musical of her life, which has been touring to packed audiences and excellent reviews since March (Susan is co-producer). Little time for sitting in the street in her jammies,

Actually she did NOT go to the Barbara Dickson concert. She went to Dundee on Saturday & took in a play at the Rep; but although she was staying at a hotel there, she did not stick around for Barbara's concert Sunday evening - very strange. I would've thought she'd be thrilled at the opportunity to hear her, given that she (Susan) has famously sung the Barbara Dickson/Elaine Paige duet 'I Know Him So Well', with Peter Kay as well as with Elaine herself. And, she could've learned a lot from watching how a concert like that is done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    How can you claim to know that??

1. Her brother Gerry, who appears to be of very modest means, suddenly has £1 million "set aside" as prize money for a competition scheme he's running; and he's also got the financing for a musical event he's staging in the near future. In addition, Susan has six other brothers & sisters, and numerous adult nieces & nephews, who likely may also be recipients of her generosity.

2. She is now a patron of the Bathgate Regal Theatre. Who knows how much that money pit has received from her.

3. When she asked to perform for the Pope (and yes, she asked them - coincidentally, just at the time when the promo for her first album was beginning...), her request was accomodated. Apparently her tithing to the Retired Paedophiles' Fund - er, the Catholic Church - had not gone unnoticed.

4. She has acquired a PhD (Hon.) from Queen Margaret University - can anyone seriously believe that a significant chunk of money did not change hands there.

5. She "supports" Celtic FC to the extent that she was given permission to usurp the fans' tradition of singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at the opening of a recent Champions League match, along with doing the halftime drawing together with Elaine C Smith (star of Subo the Musical - opening soon in Scotland - again, what a coincidence!). Nice bit of promo for the show (which has yet to turn a profit, btw); but Susan had undoubtedly paid for that microphone many times over.

In short, I don't see how you can possibly put even a ballpark estimate on her current bank balance, or to state as fact that she still has 'most' of her earnings.

WOW!!! Where to start...

All these things, Gerry Boyle's been talking about, are the same sorts of things he's been promoting since the tabs took notice of him 3 years ago. Subo loves her family, but she knows Gerry's history better than anyone. Even he admits the only big project he ever managed to put together about 20 years ago, called "Through the Keyhole", lost the investors a lot of money. So she's not just going to hand out money without seeing a business plan and running it by her very experienced manager and business partner, Andy Stephens.

The Regal Theater, a local community theater that encourages young talent, was thrilled when she agreed to be the Patroness, because of the publicity value. You think she paid for it? Are you crazy?

Where you got the idea that Susan "tithes", that is gives 10% of her income to the Church, I don't know. She goes to Mass every Sunday and puts her pound in the collection plate just like everybody else. She does do various PR events for Church charities when she can. She says she did ask to have the honor of singing for the Pope's Mass, probably through her good friend, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, and naturally it was granted.

You know why Queen Margaret's University gave her an HONORARY doctorate? For the same reason universities give them out all over the world to celebrities, for PUBLICITY. Unlike most celebs who get them, Subo actually studied at Queen Margaret's when she was younger. You think celebs PAY for them. Get real.

Susan Boyle has been a life long supporter of Celtic, along with her whole family and most of her village. One of her earliest memories was of Celtic winning the Cup when she was 6 and the whole village running out into the streets cheering. She and Willie Haughey, a former director of Celtic, are friends and she knows and has partied with the "Celtic Heroes". Many of them came to her 50th birthday party. She didn't give a "performance" at Celtic park. She obviously thought of herself as song leader and in the video, you can hear Subo speaking to the crowd halfway through, encouraging them to sing louder..

You obviously know nothing about Susan Boyle, but wish her ill. I'll leave you to deal with your problems.
    Forum Member
    Actually she did NOT go to the Barbara Dickson concert. She went to Dundee on Saturday & took in a play at the Rep; but although she was staying at a hotel there, she did not stick around for Barbara's concert Sunday evening - very strange. I would've thought she'd be thrilled at the opportunity to hear her, given that she (Susan) has famously sung the Barbara Dickson/Elaine Paige duet 'I Know Him So Well', with Peter Kay as well as with Elaine herself. And, she could've learned a lot from watching how a concert like that is done.

Yeah, you're right, as I found out later. I was surprised, too. I thought BD was the draw. And Subo stayed overnight at a hotel there, too. I'm still not convinced that Miss Dickson wasn't the reason she was there, but more than that would only be speculation.
    Forum Member
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »
    Unless they are her accountant they can't ;) Being fed a PR line & lapping it up as that is what fans want to believe. As I said this is about an underdog gaining success & the whole phenomina tapped into a core of folks who bought the story. It made them feel good. The PR team 'must' maintain that because the moment the sour bit of this becomes apparent the bubble is burst & folks realise that the fairytale isn't going to have a happy ending.

Do you guys realize how obvious it is that you WANT this to end in tragedy. Sheesh!
    Forum Member
    She couldn't do night after night but she could do the odd few dates.

I think you're right and that will be the pattern.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peg_Neal wrote: »
    The hatred towards this woman never ceases to amaze me and there's so much of it, from adults, that it's actually frightening.

She has a disability. Compared to some it's mild, granted, but it was enough of a disability to ruin her entire life!

She entered a talent show and things got out of control but that wasn't her fault. She couldn't have foreseen that, it's never happened before and it hasn't happened since.

I ask her critics, what would you have done in her situtation? What do you think she should have done? Should she have gone back to the council house that she lived in fear she'd be thrown out of and where she was afraid to turn on the heat because she didn't think she could pay for it? Live in a constant state of depression and loneliness just because she can't do major concerts and heaven forbid she can't compete with Rhianna? Thrown it all away because she wasn't capable of doing more?

People who can't be happy for her are the people who have a real problem. They're the ones with the major character flaw because they have no heart and no compassion for those less fortunate. They're the people that I pity.

You don't have to love her voice, but my God, do you criticize every singer who you don't like, or is it only her? Can't you just wish her well?

I don't see any hatred on here. I see people discussing Susan Boyle. Which is fine. It's not hating Susan to say anything less than positive about her or questioning her mental and emotional well-being.

Personally, I do wish Susan well. She seems like a nice lady and I hope she has a good support network of family, friends and management. However, given her well-documented emotional fragility, I do think she could struggle with the pressure of fame and the demands of the music industry. People much stronger, emotionally, than Susan have crumbled under the pressure and/or fallen victim to unscrupulous people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Do you guys realize how obvious it is that you WANT this to end in tragedy. Sheesh!
    Tall Poppy Syndrome!

How DARE she rise above her station!
    Ironically she never wanted to, and she hasn't. Still living in the same town and the same house.
    But she had the NERVE to try to find something to live for and maybe a little bit of security.

A lot of people out there better pray that their children and grandchildren are born perfect. You never know. What goes around comes around.
  • thistledounthistledoun Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    WOW!!! Where to start...

All these things, Gerry Boyle's been talking about, are the same sorts of things he's been promoting since the tabs took notice of him 3 years ago. Subo loves her family, but she knows Gerry's history better than anyone. Even he admits the only big project he ever managed to put together about 20 years ago, called "Through the Keyhole", lost the investors a lot of money. So she's not just going to hand out money without seeing a business plan and running it by her very experienced manager and business partner, Andy Stephens.

The Regal Theater, a local community theater that encourages young talent, was thrilled when she agreed to be the Patroness, because of the publicity value. You think she paid for it? Are you crazy?

Where you got the idea that Susan "tithes", that is gives 10% of her income to the Church, I don't know. She goes to Mass every Sunday and puts her pound in the collection plate just like everybody else. She does do various PR events for Church charities when she can. She says she did ask to have the honor of singing for the Pope's Mass, probably through her good friend, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, and naturally it was granted.

You know why Queen Margaret's University gave her an HONORARY doctorate? For the same reason universities give them out all over the world to celebrities, for PUBLICITY. Unlike most celebs who get them, Subo actually studied at Queen Margaret's when she was younger. You think celebs PAY for them. Get real.

Susan Boyle has been a life long supporter of Celtic, along with her whole family and most of her village. One of her earliest memories was of Celtic winning the Cup when she was 6 and the whole village running out into the streets cheering. She and Willie Haughey, a former director of Celtic, are friends and she knows and has partied with the "Celtic Heroes". Many of them came to her 50th birthday party. She didn't give a "performance" at Celtic park. She obviously thought of herself as song leader and in the video, you can hear Subo speaking to the crowd halfway through, encouraging them to sing louder..

You obviously know nothing about Susan Boyle, but wish her ill. I'll leave you to deal with your problems.

Well, I am working on the assumption that I know at least as much about her as you do; however, if you know her personally & have access to her bank statements, I will defer to your greater knowledge. However, I take exception to a few points.

There are several things we learned about Susan very soon after the audition aired in April 2009. For one, in an early interview, Gerry said that he felt quite sure that Susan would share her earnings with her family. That seemed to be a given - evidently she is known to have an impulsively generous nature, as when she took the hat off her head and gave it to a neighbour who had admired it. In addition to the large chunk of her fortune that she appears to have given Gerry, there have been hints that she very generously compensates her employees and the friends who help her out. In addition, one might wonder who foots the bill for the friends & family who accompany her to restaurants, entertainment events, the Stobo Castle spa visits, & the jaunts to Ireland & Spain; since the title of this thread is "Susan Boyle Rumours", I will throw caution to the wind and hazard a guess that these might be Susan's treat.

Likewise, I think it would be out of character for her not to be very generous with the causes she supports (some of which, as you may have gathered, I personally would not be giving a single cent to, myself). And to be a patron of an organization, yes, you *do* make significant financial contributions (that is the actual definition of 'patron' in this context: "a person, usually a wealthy and influential one, who sponsors and supports some person, activity, etc." according to my dictionary.) Local theatres are always hard up for cash; Celtic FC is awash in debt; and Queen Margaret has had recent funding cuts. Any of these organizations, as well as the Church, would no doubt be flabbergasted at the idea of a wealthy celebrity giving only their name and face to their cause - that is just not the done thing. It is instructive to look at the list of the recipients of Queen Margaret PhD Hons. Of those who are not honoured for academic achievement or for humanitarian works, the rest are, like Susan, notable for financial success in their fields. And that list has quite an overlap with the list of major donors to the university (the president of QMU is, in fact, one such himself.)

To think that Susan has been given these honours & opportunities without a substantial financial commitment from her is, I have to say, unrealistic. You don't see the Celtic PTB inviting the equally ardent but unfortunately less well-heeled Celtic supporters Elaine C Smith and Michelle McManus into their inner circle, do you. No doubt Susan's manager recognized the promotional opportunities in her philanthropy and put them forward to Susan - that's what he's paid for, after all.

Something else we learned about Susan early on, is that she has a poor grasp of finances - refusing to turn on the heat because she didn't think she could afford it, when in fact her family found that she had overpaid her heating bill. Not to mention her little problem with decimal points - thinking she had sold 400,000 units in America when it was actually 4 *million*. All these things, combined with her headstrong "I never do a damned thing I'm told"/"You don't control me" attitude toward advice, lead me to believe that her bank account is not nearly as robust as you have stated as fact. A million here, a million there, it adds up. Susan has some major character flaws, but niggardliness is not, in my opinion, among them; and it is you, not I, who thinks ill of her, by suggesting that she doesn't tithe, & lends only her star status to her pet causes.

I don't agree, however, with those who think she'll come to financial ruin. Just a hunch, because she always manages to land on her feet.
    Forum Member
    I don't agree, however, with those who think she'll come to financial ruin. Just a hunch, because she always manages to land on her feet.
    How do you figure that?
    3 years ago she had nothing.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard she's pregnant with Louis Walsh's baby, is it true? :confused:
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I heard she's pregnant with Louis Walsh's baby, is it true? :confused:

Hahaha.
  • NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KathyM wrote: »
    Tall Poppy Syndrome!

How DARE she rise above her station!
    Ironically she never wanted to, and she hasn't. Still living in the same town and the same house.
    But she had the NERVE to try to find something to live for and maybe a little bit of security.

A lot of people out there better pray that their children and grandchildren are born perfect. You never know. What goes around comes around.

You bought into the underdog story sold to you by the PR team. Fine if it makes you feel good about yourself because you are compassionate about a lady like Susan. You want to see an underdog make a success. It plays to what you want to believe that others are out to oppress - make folks like Susan (& maybe you) not rise above their station but she has done it due to BGT & her supporters. It is a singular way of thinking & so based in the emotions of her supporters.

There are others like myself who question whether it is actually good for the mental health of a lady with learning difficulties to be exposed to this level of fame/stress. She could have a level of security & provide herself with luxuries without having to do what she does (to the extent she is pushed). It strikes me (& obviously others) that it is this is placing undue strain on her. It may give her financial gain way beyond her expectation but does she really want it? I would say that it is those around her who are more interested in the massive financials - record company/PR company/her family. Susan wants to sing & (also) live a simple life - the others want dosh. To get that dosh Susan has to put herself in stressful situations outside what is comfortable for her. We know this because she is prone to these outbursts - not unusual for someone with her health problems in stressful situations.

Who is being compassionate? Who cares more about Susan welfare? Those caught up in her fandom or others who question the long term impact on her health? Pause for thought please.
    Forum Member
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »
    You bought into the underdog story sold to you by the PR team. Fine if it makes you feel good about yourself because you are compassionate about a lady like Susan. You want to see an underdog make a success. It plays to what you want to believe that others are out to oppress - make folks like Susan (& maybe you) not rise above their station but she has done it due to BGT & her supporters. It is a singular way of thinking & so based in the emotions of her supporters.

There are others like myself who question whether it is actually good for the mental health of a lady with learning difficulties to be exposed to this level of fame/stress. She could have a level of security & provide herself with luxuries without having to do what she does (to the extent she is pushed). It strikes me (& obviously others) that it is this is placing undue strain on her. It may give her financial gain way beyond her expectation but does she really want it? I would say that it is those around her who are more interested in the massive financials - record company/PR company/her family. Susan wants to sing & (also) live a simple life - the others want dosh. To get that dosh Susan has to put herself in stressful situations outside what is comfortable for her. We know this because she is prone to these outbursts - not unusual for someone with her health problems in stressful situations.

Who is being compassionate? Who cares more about Susan welfare? Those caught up in her fandom or others who question the long term impact on her health? Pause for thought please.
    What part of her back story have I bought into that you haven't?
    I imagine that it was possible to pay off everyone who's known her all of her life.
    As for the rest of it, I suppose it's possible that she'd prefer to pack it in and that she's being forced to continue. Possible but doubtful.
    You don't know how she feels better than anyone else does.
    The fact remains that there are those who can't wait for a crash to happen rather than wish her well.
  • sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Thistledoun you are wasting your time trying to explain anything to most SuBo fans, they have no clue at all. Most still think she was the biggest star of 2009, well they are wrong.
    It was M Jackson, then Gaga and SuBo after her. 2010 SuBo was the 37th biggest star in the world and 2011 she was 84th. Barbra Streisand rank higher than her at #72.
    I bet 2012 she will not be in the top100.
    Forum Member
    Thistledoun you are wasting your time trying to explain anything to most SuBo fans, they have no clue at all. Most still think she was the biggest star of 2009, well they are wrong.
    It was M Jackson, then Gaga and SuBo after her. 2010 SuBo was the 37th biggest star in the world and 2011 she was 84th. Barbra Streisand rank higher than her at #72.
    Oh get real. Whoever said she was the biggest star in the world?
    If it was M. Jackson, then no one else was the biggest star in the world that year except him, not even Gaga, so being #3 behind those 2 icons wasn't too bad, was it?
    And now you're comparing her to Streidsand who's been in the business for 50 years!!
    I have yet to see anyone be the biggest star indefinitely.
    Forum Member
    Also, which Jackson or Gaga album sold more that year, if that's what you're referring to, or are you talking combined album sales?
    If so, it's hard to sell several different albums when you've only recorded one.
    I wasn't aware that they had albums that sold more so I'm interested in knowing which one.
    Forum Member
    Many SuBo fans think that, but they have no clue how to work it out.
    She's not even the the top 100 for the 1st 6months of the year for UK artists,

So come on then, you think you know more, so give details on how to work it out? Some even think she's the boss of Simon - they need to get real.

Some even think she should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, have no clue what for because she's done ZERO for the world.
    Forum Member
    Many SuBo fans think that, but they have no clue how to work it out.
    She's not even the the top 100 for the 1st 6months of the year for UK artists,

So come on then, you think you know more, so give details on how to work it out? Some even think she's the boss of Simon - they need to get real.

Some even think she should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, have no clue what for because she's done ZERO for the world.
    Who cares if she's in the top 10,000? Not me. I know what she HAS achieved and I think it's wonderful and she's a heck of a lot better off now than she was.
    As for what some fans might believe, they don't speak for all, most are realistic. Some Bieber fans think he's the best singer alive too.
    Forum Member
    She's a cover singer, not an artist. She has no imput on her albums, and that is why no Awards come her way.

Just a higher karaoke singer than most.

On the Official James Bond Forum, there was a vote for the top 20 singers who they would like to sing the new theme.

SuBo was in 17th place, the list was sent of to the producers. SuBo and three others was rejected because they could not sell the song/album/movie.
    Forum Member
    No Tour Promotion Company will give SuBo insurance now, not with the new rules coming out. It's all through what happend to Jackson in 2009.
    Forum Member
    She's a cover singer, not an artist. She has no imput on her albums, and that is why no Awards come her way.

Just a higher karaoke singer than most.

On the Official James Bond Forum, there was a vote for the top 20 singers who they would like to sing the new theme.

SuBo was in 17th place, the list was sent of to the producers. SuBo and three others was rejected because they could not sell the song/album/movie.
    Yes, she sings covers. I imagine if she wanted to she could suggest a few changes here and there in some songs and claim that she co-wrote them like so many do. Very few write entire songs alone.
    I suppose that if you had nothing, wanted to sing and were offered what she was offered you would have turned it down?
    As far as awards go, I think she's done quite well without them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    She's a cover singer, not an artist.

And by that standard, neither Frank Sinatra nor Billie Holiday was an artist either.

Not to mention Elvis Presley. . .the list goes on.

What complete rubbish!
    Forum Member
    And by that standard, neither Frank Sinatra nor Billie Holiday was an artist either.

Not to mention Elvis Presley. . .the list goes on.

What complete rubbish!

Those people have stood the test of time and are icons. Do you think in 30years time people will look upto SuBo and say she's did this, that and the other?+she's fading now just after 3years.
    Forum Member
    Those people have stood the test of time and are icons. Do you think in 30years time people will look upto SuBo and say she's did this, that and the other?+she's fading now just after 3years.
    No I don't, nor do I think that was ever her goal. She never planned on being or wanted to be the biggest thing in music to begin with, yet alone stay there. She wanted a job as a professional singer.
    So now if she's not in the top 100 this year, she's a loser?
    If that's the case, there's an awful lot of losers out there.