Any HR professionals out there?

Lucy-AnnLucy-Ann Posts: 26
Forum Member
Morning,

I need some advice for work. I have to conduct an investigation into peoples absences basically if anyone has more than three separate absences during a six month period they get flagged up. The first stage is issuing letters of concern the next stage if absences continue is to investigate. My question is to ensure I get this right as I am inexperienced at this type of thing, what are the questions I should be asking in the investigation?

Any advice would be greatly recieved :)

Comments

• killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    I suppose that the first thing is to check what is their contracts about periods of absence and what the company's policy is on them.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will depend on the individual circumstances.

If someone regularly has Mondays off due to headaches the questions would be different to someone who was off for so month he to a broken arm.

Presumably your company has a sickness management policy?
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy-Ann wrote: »
    Morning,

I need some advice for work. I have to conduct an investigation into peoples absences basically if anyone has more than three separate absences during a six month period they get flagged up. The first stage is issuing letters of concern the next stage if absences continue is to investigate. My question is to ensure I get this right as I am inexperienced at this type of thing, what are the questions I should be asking in the investigation?

Any advice would be greatly recieved :)

Your employer has given you this job to do then it's your employer's responsibility to train you and your responsibility to get help and guidance from your employer. Any advice you get on here may not be in line with your employer's expectations so speak to your line manager.
  • Lucy-AnnLucy-Ann Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Your employer has given you this job to do then it's your employer's responsibility to train you and your responsibility to get help and guidance from your employer. Any advice you get on here may not be in line with your employer's expectations so speak to your line manager.

That's just the thing. I have no line manager hence why I thought I would come on here to see if anyone has dealt with a similar situation and could share their experiences with me and with regards to "training" let's just say one of worst companies for the lack of training so I just wanted to arm myself with information and be selective over what I took from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a HR department? These things have to be done properly or you could find yourself over stepping the mark accidentally and getting in a load of trouble. HR should be guiding you on this as per your sickness and absence policies...
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    Unless you are self employed you must have a line manager.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy-Ann wrote: »
    That's just the thing. I have no line manager

unless you own the company then you must report to someone.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately SMEs in particular tend to view HR as something unnecessary to the business.

There should be a clear absence management policy in place, sickness monitored and as said before do check for patterns, in particular Monday/Friday.

However ad hoc sickness needs to be given a weight and this can best be done by having employees complete a sickness self cert immediately on return to work, even if it was just for half a day, and a return to work interview where objective factual questions are asked e.g. did you attend your GP, if yes are you on any meds, might these affect your work, and 'is there anything in the workplace that may contribute to your condition'. You are complying then under the duty of care, DDA etc.

People get absolutely infuriated for being disciplined over being sick, for my money the employer is taking the wrong approach by being reactive, they should adopt a proactive approach.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a word with ACAS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Any advice would be greatly recieved :-)"

Find a decent employer.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know about the Bradford factor - but not impressed by it even though my attendance is 100%. I have warned others of the horrific points score that can result if you take frequent days off - seen one person fail their probation due to this.

I suppose it gives you a score - note the link at the bottom to the CIPD pdf file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Factor
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, have a go this way.

What you have said is that the person is 'investigated' for three absences in six months. So that is all I have to go on. If the policy is more complex thatn that, ignore this and read and understand the policy.

Three absences in 6 months is quite a strict line.
    So acting the same way, write a minute |(memo? what ever you call it in your organisation.) Say that in view of a few absences, you would like to see them to discuss it. Give them a timed appointment and say call you if this is not convenient.

When you meet them, sit them down, preferably with a cup of tea. Tell them what the company policy is, and tell them the dates of their absences and the stated reasons for absence. Of course you will have found those out beforehand.

Say to them that the purpose of the meeting is to ascertain whether they need any advice or help in any way.

Then (bear in mind that during this they will probably have things to say, so respond sensibly and then move on.) ask whether anything in the job is adversely affecting them, either in health or in motivation to work.

(perhaps they sit at the desk too long, or some working condition is wrong, or colleagues are unpleasant, or a boss is bullying them - you might be able to think of others).

Ask them whether they get on OK with colleagues and ask if they are having trouble in ability to do the work.

What you are after is to assess whether they are swinging the lead and need a prodding, or perhaps they have just had two bad colds plus a doctor's visit to have a cyst removed, and it is normal accepted sick leave. Perhaps they have been taking a sickie while the Olympic Games is on, and so on. Of course they won't
    admit that, but it doesn't matter.

Make up your mind if you are satisfied with what they say, and if so conclude amicably and hope they keep well. If you aren't, then say so and tell trhem you are not happy with it and will keep an eye on their attendance for a while, and tell them you want better attendance in future.

There is a complication if they ask to be accompanied. Do the same stuff, but you will have the added query in your mind of whether they feel they need protection in the tough workplace, or they are just bolshy and want a rep there for itys own sake.

At the end, write a short summary, which will be either that you were not satisfied thoroughly and the person should be kept under consideration, or you are happy that they are OK an attendance should improve in future. Of course if they say they need a change of work or they are being bullied, presumably the company has policies on those things.

Presumably the person will have a file on which you can put the record. If not, put it in a folder yourself. You will probably keep a copy anyway, together with any personal things you might think.

Remember, if there have been three short sick periods, it is no big deal and to be expected, so don't make much of it. Only do this full caboodle if it looks like quite a bit of time to you, and you have any doubts.

There is more of course but that will do to get you thinking right.