Options

Onetel is anybody with them?

I am with Bt for line rental and talktalk for the calls, I had onetel reps using the hard sell on me? Is anybody with onetel what are they like?

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to be with them - they are not as cheap as they used to be. They are up for sale now as Centrica want to slim down and return to energy.

Try www.call18866.co.uk for a cheap override service on your BT line.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    exdo1 wrote:
    I am with Bt for line rental and talktalk for the calls, I had onetel reps using the hard sell on me? Is anybody with onetel what are they like?

Steer clear all I can say. Price schemes I suppose are good value although their customer service and support for anything i.e. telephone and other services is absolute ZERO. (and believe me this is a customer speaking from experience)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with the previous posters - best stay away.

I used to be with them - thankfully no more. When I signed up with them, they guaranteed that each and every call would be cheaper or equal to BT. (Basically they provided a pre-dialer box that would route the call via one-tel if they were cheaper else it would route via BT.)

The company has changed hands and moved their call centre to India in the meantime. Of course they all swore that they have never agreed to this, only supply pre-dialer boxes to non-BT customers and ALL calls are routed though OneTel once you sign up to them. (which are their current terms, together with a multitude of pricing plans)

So good job I'd kept the original instructions to the box they supplied else I would have been lumbered with a hefty bill, one they were going to start legal proceedings to recover - they only accepted they were wrong after I sent them a copy of their own literature!

They had no choice but to cancel all charges on my account, but then told me the new terms & conditions would then apply - I told them what they could do with their new terms & conditions and their service :D
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OneTel are a nightmare, stick with TalkTalk - but only for CPS service not line rental. You should be receiving at least free weekend calls, possibly free evening and weekend calls, you also receive free calls to other TalkTalk customers at all times.

So use TalkTalk for your free calls, and then as posted above use Call 18866 for your chargeable calls, as they charge only 3 pence per call (ZERO pence per minute + 3p connection). There sister service Call 1899 offer the same 3p/call to UK landlines also some international destinations cheaper than 18866, there other sister service Call 18185 offers calls to UK mobiles at 2p/min weekends and 5p/min weekdays, also international calls from 0.5p/min.

You can register with all three services (18866, 1899 and 18185) there is no monthly charge, you just pay for the calls, you can also be with TalkTalk or other CPS provider. As you have line rental from BT you can get free caller display as long as you register for free caller display via www.bt.com/btprivacy (or via the phone number advertised) and make at least one call per billing cycle over BT (Dial 1280 to place the call back on BT).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of using Onetel for their business package but not sure I will now - do you know if Talk Talk do business rates and whether you can use 18866, 1899 and 18185 numbers for business?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk However they take over your phone line rental, and may block use of indirect numbers if they so wish, and may also kick you off if you try using the 0808 access numbers if not already blocked.

Yes you can use 18866, 1899 and 18185 for business.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use 18866 and the other override numbers for domestic or business use. Just a bit of a pain having to dial the override access number then the full STD every time you want to make a call but I think its worth it for the savings.
  • Options
    JackPaarJackPaar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used Onetel for dial up internet when I didn't have BB.I found their call centre in India very polite and helpful. I was with them for a short while,cancelled, went back for a short while and cancelled again,both times when I got a new BB provider.
    I've never used them for for voice calls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I work for them :eek:
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    zanshin wrote:
    I work for them :eek:

I pity you :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Hi there!

I am on a BT line however with Onetel CPS, TotalUKTalk, International Saver, Mobile Saver and Broadband. I have never much to complain about, however if there is a problem with the broadband connection you are forced to ring an 0845 number, which I detest phoning. I know that Onetel is based in London, UK however all the calls are diverted to India. There have been many times, when I cannot understand them, because Onetel use VOIP protocol for the call centre in India. Why not have a dedicated Indian telephone over to the Indian call centre - that would certainly be a great deal cheaper and clearer than the 0845 advertised!! Why are Onetel not using a British call centre as well ?

I look forward to the person who works for Onetel to comment on this.

Thank you.

Brooke Bond
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use 18866 and the other override numbers for domestic or business use. Just a bit of a pain having to dial the override access number then the full STD every time you want to make a call but I think its worth it for the savings.

You can by a dialler box, if you make a lot of phone calls.

http://www.orchid-electronics.com/Diallers/v4.htm

I never bothered myself with one, as I didn't mind the hassle, however a fair few people do use them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Onetel used to use a British Call centre, until Centrica took them over a few years back.

TotalUKTalk costs £7.99 per month, would it not be cheaper to use their sister service Just Dial Saver on the free option which gives you free evening and weekend calls, and then use Call 18866 for daytime calls at 3 pence each?

You could save another pound per month, by not have the international saver, and use one or all of 18866, 1899 and 18185.

As for the 0845 number, you could look on http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php and find the geographical alternative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    BexTech wrote:
    Onetel used to use a British Call centre, until Centrica took them over a few years back.

TotalUKTalk costs £7.99 per month, would it not be cheaper to use their sister service Just Dial Saver on the free option which gives you free evening and weekend calls, and then use Call 18866 for daytime calls at 3 pence each?

You could save another pound per month, by not have the international saver, and use one or all of 18866, 1899 and 18185.

As for the 0845 number, you could look on http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php and find the geographical alternative.

Many thanks for your info concerning Onetel.

I am well aware of the above mentioned website as I am a contributer to it. The old number Onetel Broadband was 01851 777700 however now, Onetel use an 0845 number which I do not like because of the higher price call and also Onetel use VOIP for their Broadband service line. I am still trying to find out a geo number or even a direct number to Onetel in India - that I believe would be cheaper than an 0845 number.

Come on Onetel!!

Brooke Bond
  • Options
    Caveman643Caveman643 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I've used Onetel for ages now for calls and line rental. Never had a problem. The savings aren't massive over BT but I may as well have the money in my pocket. I don't use any little box or anything to connect. Just straight out as normal. Never had to call their customer services so can't comment on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OneTel is OK if all you want is to save a few pennies, and you aren't really going to be saving even those few pennies if you use Caller Display.

If you aren't a Caller Display user, then you will save those few pennies compared to BT.

However if you want to save quite a few pounds, then you need to use OneTel as a CPS provider, Line rental with BT with free caller display, and then use 1899 and 18185 for certain calls. Yes this way you have more than one company billing you and for certain calls you have to dial an access number, but then you need to ask yourself, do you want to save money or do you just want everything one one bill and possibly save a few pennies.