Radio 2 Message Boards Closing

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Eileen

Mainly here or Gavin's site.

I am considering going back to Mr Wright's R2 but I am reluctant as I was once banned for mentioning Mr Nelson.

I don't post much because my Radio 2/Light programme is fading; the last straw was the way they treated Malcom Laycock.
    Forum Member
    Well said, Iggy.
  • John WJohn W Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard66 wrote: »
    I am considering going back to Mr Wright's R2 but I am reluctant as I was once banned for mentioning Mr Nelson.

Eh? Howard, you were never banned, I've checked the old 'naughty book' and you were suspended for 3 HOURS on 30 Dec 2006!

It's time to let it go, don't you think? :D

John W
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the mention Howard:D

I did not realise the next FNIMN is a repeat Eileen...

The problem with losing the BBC Radio 2 messageboards is that even the alternative sites will struggle to get new members when there is nowhere to post links for people to find.

The least the BBC could do is put links to such sites...as they don't wish to have any connection to such a service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Gildersleeve;44186003
    The least the BBC could do is put links to such sites...as they don't wish to have any connection to such a service.[/QUOTE]

Yes Gilders I agree. The BBC would be doing themselves a favour if Radio 2 listeners could be directed to well-run forums (fora??) where they could discuss and recommend programmes to each other.

It's a shame that their own message boards were allowed to descend into unpleasant arguments.
    Forum Member
    Suspension is as bad as banning in my book.

Are you inviting me back?
  • registerheavenregisterheaven Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    End of a era
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Go on Howard;)

You can be a member of the two best private forums John's and mine:p

And we still have Digital Spy:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Hi JohnP! I heard the Paul Barnes tribute to Jack Parnell and it was wonderfully put together and presented with real heart. It must have been about an hour long.

I recommended Paul Barnes to another poster on the Radio 2 MB. Scott came back with an opinion as to why PB had been pushed from mid-evening into a graveyard slot i.e. that possibly he was alienating the listeners! I posted a reply to Scott saying that it was an unnecessary and snide comment to make and I reminded him of the abject apology he had made for his behaviour a couple of weeks earlier in which he said he had been sounding like a broken record re the Friday/Sunday night programmes and it was time for him to grow up and live and let live!

My postI was modded off. His snide post remained. I received an email from the Host advising me not to get involved as it would only start up arguments again and that Scott's post, although rather negative, didn't break the House Rules.

As I said earlier, it was rather disheartening.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Gildy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Howard,

Your membership status has remained active since 31st Dec 2006.

It's up to you what you do :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    John

Not good enough' all I did was warn people that Mr Nelson was around again and I was Lambasted with no right of reply.

Good luck.
  • johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EileenM wrote: »
    Hi JohnP! I heard the Paul Barnes tribute to Jack Parnell and it was wonderfully put together and presented with real heart. It must have been about an hour long.

I recommended Paul Barnes to another poster on the Radio 2 MB. Scott came back with an opinion as to why PB had been pushed from mid-evening into a graveyard slot i.e. that possibly he was alienating the listeners! I posted a reply to Scott saying that it was an unnecessary and snide comment to make and I reminded him of the abject apology he had made for his behaviour a couple of weeks earlier in which he said he had been sounding like a broken record re the Friday/Sunday night programmes and it was time for him to grow up and live and let live!

My postI was modded off. His snide post remained. I received an email from the Host advising me not to get involved as it would only start up arguments again and that Scott's post, although rather negative, didn't break the House Rules.

Hi Eileen,
    It is all rather strange.
    Truth of the matter is that the Barnes show is far superior to the so called 'jazz' and 'big band' offerings on Radio 2. No surprise that he should do a thorough tribute to such an important figure in the music business as Jack, because he is an acknowledged expert, who researches his subject and has a sincere passion about the music.

I guess the late Malcolm would have marked Jack's passing in a similar manner - he was after all one of the finest jazz drummers the UK produced and sounded like an American.
    Perhaps the BBC could do us all a favour by not only closing the R2 message board but closing the station down and giving us something fit for purpose - a station that genuinely does cater for 35 - 100 year olds in peak time.
    Drive out the drivel!
    Forum Member
    If only, John
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    EileenM wrote: »

I saw similar things happen quite a number of times.

Maybe one day we'll find out what was really going on with 'Scott' and the BBC messageboard folks. Why on earth was he given such preferential treatment?
  • willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    confuddled wrote: »
    scott nelson single handedly made those boards unbearable:mad:

I agree. He's on FB and Digital Spy aswell :mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    I had problems with Scott over seven years with little support from othere posters so forgive me if I appear bitter here.
    Forum Member
    Who is he on here.

I thought he was permanently banned.
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    I saw similar things happen quite a number of times.

Maybe one day we'll find out what was really going on with 'Scott' and the BBC messageboard folks. Why on earth was he given such preferential treatment?

Not break the house rules!!

Some of the things he said about presenters and other posters bordered on the libellous.
  • willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is he on here.

I thought he was permanently banned.

He went under the name Murray Mint.

I didn't know he'd been permanently banned. If that's so then :D

:)
    Forum Member
    Yes that's him, Mr Mint; should have been humbug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John

Not good enough' all I did was warn people that Mr Nelson was around again and I was Lambasted with no right of reply.

Good luck.

Howard,

The archive states you had three warnings. Anyway that's in the past.

Have you listened in to my Dance Band Shows? They are my continuing tribute, really, to Alan Dell and Malcolm Laycock.

John
    Forum Member
    Not yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not yet.

Not YET!!!! :eek:

Jeez Howard, I've produced over 80 shows! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Word of warning, Several 6Music message boarders who have been banned for asking the wrong sort of questions about the Playlist, and previously George Lamb, have found that the have been banned outright from the official 6Music Facebook page as well.

This appears to be in direct contradiction of published BBC guidelines on their own use of external social media sites which states
    For example, we should respect the fact that users on site X are not our users; they are not bound by the same Terms of Use and House Rules as we apply on BBC Online. Attempts to enforce our standard community rules on third party sites may lead to resentment, criticism and in some cases outright hostility to the BBC's presence.

and
    The responsibility for measures of protection and intervention lies first with the social networking site itself. We should never set out to duplicate measures of protection and intervention which the social networking site already takes e.g. against illegal or against harmful and offensive content, whether by using its own staff or by working
    with the community to alert them to breaches of the site’s terms and conditions.

I know of at least two posters who have been banned completely from that FB page merely for posting a link to another FB group entitled 'Drop The Playlist'....