Options

Getting train in Belgium

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
So, I'm off for a weekend away in Brussels this Thursday evening (coming back Sunday evening). After a quick google search and realising there's not that much do there, I've found a great tour of the WW1 battlefields in Ypres and I desperately, so desperately want to go! I went on a school trip about 10 years ago and have wanted to go back since but never really had the opportunity..

So from what I understand so far, the train takes 1:40 mins from Brussels to Ypres but I'm not sure what the times are or how frequently they run, and it looks like there's loads of train stations in Brussels.

I think what I'm asking is..uh..can someone help me find this out?! I've had a look at the website http://p2w-hari.b-rail.be but think I've made the whole thing unnecessarily complicated :rolleyes: I also don't have great experience of foreign trains!! :oPlease help?!

Comments

• Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say your best bet is to ask at the nearest train station to where you are staying.

Next to the Dutch, Belgium people are very conversant with english and you won't have any problem at all.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fairly straightforward to use http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/ by entering the two stations in the journey planner on the left of the page.

IIRC the main stations in Brussels are Zuid, Centraal and Noord and you can travel to Ieper (Flemish for Ypres) from all of these stations according to the Belgian Railways site. So choose whichever of these stations is nearest to where you're staying, enter that as your departure station and Ieper as your arrival station, and the date and time you want to travel.

If you're staying in central Brussels you can probably walk to one of these termini because the centre is compact. Otherwise public transport is good, or get a taxi.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    After a quick google search and realising there's not that much do there,

Gasp! Maybe you need to re-google! I lived in Brussels for years and it's a fab city, with plenty to do for people who are interested. Depends what kind of thing you are looking for.

Also worth remembering that Brussels is predominantly French speaking so best to ask for the stations by the French rather than Flemish names so Zuid = Midi, Noord = Nord and Centraal = Centrale

Where will you be staying roughly? Trains leave the central station about 25 past the hour from what I can see.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say a "tour" of the battlefields, do you mean by coach? If you do, then the tour start time will come into the equation.

The only tours I've done from Ypres have been by car, following a printed route.

Have you tried to find a coach tour from Brussels itself?