Who in your opinion is the 'definitive' Miss Marple?

Comments

• Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specsavers needs you:D

And who the frig is Helen Hayes?

Only one of the most accomplished actors of her generation, who was called "the First Lady of American theatre". That's all.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agatha Christie sent a note to Joan Hickson, after seeing her on stage, saying she hoped one day Hickson would play the role. Which she did, to perfection.

Hickson's performance was intelligent, subtle, and with a depth of feeling that I've never seen before or since. She is the definite Miss Marple.

My favourite story? A Murder Is Announced (thought Samantha Bond was fab in that too!).

I hate how they tried to sex up the more recent remakes.

Oh and I admire Angela Lansbury tremendously, but I thought she made the role too panto/camp. Adored her as Salome Otterbourne in Death On The Nile though.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too love Hickson but even more so the sheer quality of the series she appeared in. Also 'A Murder is Announced' is my all time favourite TV drama. You even get Kevin Whateley as an embryonic detective sergeant, a role he was to make his own.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    My favourite story? A Murder Is Announced (thought Samantha Bond was fab in that

Oh and I admire Angela Lansbury tremendously, but I thought she made the role too panto/camp. Adored her as Salome Otterbourne in Death On The Nile though.
    A murder is announced is fantastic - probably the best.

I agree about Angela Lansbury but she did really admirably with the script as it was + of course they'd moved the time period to contemporary in those adaptations, so the story obviously lost some of its atmosphere.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up with Joan Hickson in the role and would still rate her as the most authentic as others have said. My one criticism would be that she played it so straight as to be practically completely lacking in fun. Now this may have been as Christie intended, but the fun that other Marples (McEwan in particular) managed to bring to the character has made me realise that Hickson could have been slightly more creative in her interpretation, particularly as she had a history of being able to do comedy.

Rutherford's character was enormous fun and fitted the films she was in brilliantly. She wasn't remotely Miss Marple except in name but it didn't matter.

I've grown to like McEwan's Marple more and more over the years. She's another who isn't really the Marple that Christie intended but if you can get over the ripping to bits of the plotlines she's actually rather charming.

McKenzie seems to be getting a lot of flak on here. Like McEwan, you have to get over the plotline changes before you can fairly assess what she does with the role. My own interpretation is that she's possibly trying to find some middle ground between McEwan and Hickson. She's not as avant-garde as McEwan but is less traditional than Hickson. She's not quite pulling it off but it's not bad. I don't actually see her as too young and pretty for the role; she's now 72 (hardly young) and there's no rule that says that Miss Marple has to be an ugly, old boot. Personally, I think she looks the most authentic bar Hickson.
    Forum Member
    I grew up with Joan Hickson in the role and would still rate her as the most authentic as others have said. My one criticism would be that she played it so straight as to be practically completely lacking in fun. Now this may have been as Christie intended, but the fun that other Marples (McEwan in particular) managed to bring to the character has made me realise that Hickson could have been slightly more creative in her interpretation, particularly as she had a history of being able to do comedy.
    That's really interesting. She is quite serious, but then it is about murder so there is room to be pretty grave some of the time.
    Hickson is never 'funny ha-ha' but she does play the role with the most glorious understated humour sometimes, e.g when a pompous police detective is holding forth, spouting nonsense, she just sorts of smiles wryly and says "...Yes.... of course inspector". :D

I've grown to like McEwan's Marple more and more over the years. She's another who isn't really the Marple that Christie intended but if you can get over the ripping to bits of the plotlines she's actually rather charming.

I agree. She's my second favourite and has that bird-like quickness and twinkly eyes I'd envisage Miss Marple having.

McKenzie seems to be getting a lot of flak on here. Like McEwan, you have to get over the plotline changes before you can fairly assess what she does with the role. My own interpretation is that she's possibly trying to find some middle ground between McEwan and Hickson. She's not as avant-garde as McEwan but is less traditional than Hickson. She's not quite pulling it off but it's not bad. I don't actually see her as too young and pretty for the role; she's now 72 (hardly young) and there's no rule that says that Miss Marple has to be an ugly, old boot. Personally, I think she looks the most authentic bar Hickson.

We'll disagree there. I think she's a disaster. She's trying to mash together all past Miss Marples and coming across a little incoherently.
    She's only there because McEwan felt she had to retire the role due to it being so demanding and hectic, which I think is a shame.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching murder at the gallop and Margaret Rutherfords 60's dancing is fab !
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Love love love Margaret Rutherford, she'll always be Miss Marple for me even though she's not like Miss M in the books. Just thinking of the theme music to her films makes me smile :)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    miaow wrote: »
    Love love love Margaret Rutherford, she'll always be Miss Marple for me even though she's not like Miss M in the books. Just thinking of the theme music to her films makes me smile :)

Me too! You know you can just settle back and enjoy them!
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rutherford's character was enormous fun and fitted the films she was in brilliantly. She wasn't remotely Miss Marple except in name but it didn't matter.

I didn't mean that Miss Marple has to be an ugly boot, infact there are often references to her being pretty when young, There is something not quite right about Julie Mckenzies Marple, however, if I look as good as her at 72 I'll be chuffed.
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joan Hickson way out ahead of the others. I like Julia Mackenzie and I have surprised myself by quite enjoying Geraldine McEwan. I really disliked her on first viewing, but have recently re-watched some and she is growing on me. I found Margaret Rutherford too over the top for my liking.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    miaow wrote: »

Me too! That theme music is a classic!
    I agree with poll so far, Joan Hickson was the best interpretation of 'Marple'.
    But Rutherford rules as far as I'm concerned :) Lovely childhood memories and all that!
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specsavers needs you:D

And who the frig is Helen Hayes?

A fantastic two time Oscar winning actress.
    Although TBH, she is probably my least favourite of the 'Marples'.

Joan Hickson wins it for me with MR coming a close second.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching the Margaret Rutherford films when I was a child, and so I have soft spot for her Miss Marple. Although, I accept that Joan Hickson is probably closer to the character Christie created.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It's Joan Hickson for me.

The adaptations she starred in were so faithful to the original, and she played Miss Marple in such a clever and understated way. Wonderful.

Hickson was Christie's favoured actress in the role, and wasn't impressed with Rutherford's according to sources. I saw most of the BBC ones and 'my favourite was 'A Murder is Announced' as was the same in my reading of the Miss Marple books. In fact there are only about fifteen Christies I have never read.and read most of between 1973 and '76.
    Forum Member
    I remember watching the Margaret Rutherford films when I was a child, and so I have soft spot for her Miss Marple. Although, I accept that Joan Hickson is probably closer to the character Christie created.

I'm too young to have seen these 1st time round, but have seen one or two as repeats.

There's a real sense of fun and 'hands-on' approach, which while not faithful to the stories, is very entertaining.

I find Margaret Rutherford's mouth fascinating - it goes into so many different shapes! She's very physically expressive, and a great actress.
  • suez_channelsuez_channel Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Joan Hickson's manner and costumes absolutely right for the very neat and correct Miss Marple. Anyone would want her as a guest in their country house
    Geraldine McEwan looked like a beatnik bag lady I wouldn't want her anywhere near me or my murdered relatives, and the backstory they had in one episode about her lost love from WW1 was ridiculous and inappropriate. Margaret Rutherford was a force of nature and delightful - her Miss Marple films are a national treasure she was wonderful although nothing like the character in the books.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »
    A fantastic two time Oscar winning actress.
    Although TBH, she is probably my least favourite of the 'Marples'.

Joan Hickson wins it for me with MR coming a close second.

by your username - are you related?!!!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Another vote for Margaret Rutherford, such fun! Apparently Agatha Christie disliked her in the role as she thought her too overweight. In one story Miss Marple has to hide in a broom cupboard and Christie was scornful that Rutherford would find it too small to accommodate her.

I had also read Agatha Christie didn't like Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple either.

Whilst these things are very subjective I voted for Joan Hickson because to me she embodied "my" Miss Marple in the books, in the same way Jeremy Brett is also my definitive Sherlock Holmes for the same reason.

In saying that, though, I have the DVD box set of the four Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple films as they are so much fun! :D
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's an american who played Miss Marple in a few CBS adaptations years ago. I guess it's obscure for a reason :D

Cheers, I don't mind Margaret Rutherford as she was good in the role but Gerry McEwan and Jules McKenzie are just dire, they bring nothing to the role.
    Forum Member
    I had also read Agatha Christie didn't like Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple either.

In saying that, though, I have the DVD box set of the four Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple films as they are so much fun! :D

I guess the latter point may indicate why Christie had reservatiopns about Rutherford.
    Perhaps it wasn't so much to do with her personally as it was to do with the adpatations being nothing like what Christie wrote!
    They are a fun romp though:D, and I must seek out the ones I haven't seen.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Joan Hickson. As others have said beautifully understated performance. She was in the right place at the right time and went through all the stories I think -at a time when reduced channel numbers allowed huge audiences.
    Well deserved too.
  • who me?who me? Posts: 17,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geraldine McEwan for me I think she's wonderful in the role. Definitely my perfect Miss Marple.:)

I could watch Margaret Rutherford in anything though.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too young to have seen these 1st time round, but have seen one or two as repeats.

There's a real sense of fun and 'hands-on' approach, which while not faithful to the stories, is very entertaining.

I find Margaret Rutherford's mouth fascinating - it goes into so many different shapes! She's very physically expressive, and a great actress.
    And had such a tragic early family life. That I didn't know about until I read up on her earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Rutherford
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Put it this way...I think I would enjoy the Miss Marple books a lot more if she'd been written as Margaret Rutherford portrayed her.