The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Wright is welcomed back as apart from Madeley the stand ins ruin what is left of a plausible morning entertainment show. Having said that the tales of the Madeley family history and quirky happenings was getting tiresome and too consuming.

However, he has returned more pompous and sanctimonious than ever and the fact is he is too biased, certainly politically, which forms much of the topics for debate and then the child like sense of humour, dragging out earlier points made or from the papers. Yes keep it light hearted and he often tells the callers to lighten up, but he should heed his own advice and not get so rude, cocky, even spiteful to callers who oppose his single minded outlook on the world.

The audience member was probably using his moment in the spotlight as many are extras or aspiring drama students and reality desperados, but it was good as Wright didn't expect it. He may think it clever to be quick with a quip, often derogatory, but he probably doesn't practice this outside the studio!

What, so Grimbo may not even be a real fan but an extra paid to portray one?! :o they still advertise at the end of shows, for people to phone up if they want to be in the audience, presumably aiming at members of the public, not union members? it'd certainly be cheaper for them if the don't have to pay lol.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non speaking.
    If they speak it's a bit more money - but not much. Probably an extra twenty quid.
    If the role is a credited part of course, thats a whole different pay scale.
    The non speaking Extras make their money when they do more than one episode a day [like in a soap for example] and if the filming goes into Overtime etc.
    I suppose five mornings a week in that audience for approx sixty quid each day is worth putting up with. :D

IF they are getting paid for it that is.
    I suppose some are happy to do it for free just to be on telly.

In fact I bet there are even some people who would pay the show to let them on!

IF they are getting paid (which I doubt), I wonder how many of them are admitting it to the tax man. Was about to say job centre but 5x2.25h=11.25 hrs so no need too.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    What, so Grimbo may not even be a real fan but an extra paid to portray one?! :o they still advertise at the end of shows, for people to phone up if they want to be in the audience, presumably aiming at members of the public, not union members? it'd certainly be cheaper for them if the don't have to pay lol.

She's an actress, alright.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    where can I sign up; I need other income!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »

:o *shivers*
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    But most folk don't deserve the hatred that's piled on them by internet users. Just because they're on telly doesn't make them a target. Aaaaanyway.

Except continuity announcers. They deserve it all. I'd lock them all up in a cellar with Josef Fritzl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • shoppingqueenshoppingqueen Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure no one gets paid in the audience! they wouldn't have the budget! about 2 years ago they had someone on the weekly panel who was difficult (I think it might have been Huey but could be wrong) and they revealed live on air :o they get around £200 for appearing on the show. Not sure if that was per week or per show but were complaining it was low. I don't think the guests do it for work! they do it to get their face in the media. They get a free car to the studios and breakfast and hot drinks.

I do know some people who go in the audience but they haven't done that regularly for ages (they were students at the time :) ). You get a free coffee at a coffee shop where you meet before the show in the shopping centre below. However you can ask them to be on the show and if you have been before they seem to find it easier because they know you are good in the studio or have good ideas to speak out about. However if you email or phone them, it's really easy to get free tickets! Eric was always looking to fill the seats in his old social media posts.

The regular people who are minor actors / extras probably do it to write on their CV's 'they have been on TV'. They appear often on BBOTS with big brother as well. Any tv audience with tickets!

I am sure some people on this thread have been in the audience, did anyone get paid?
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny B is a bit of a treat this morning, he was my pinup when I was a teen :)
  • shoppingqueenshoppingqueen Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    this week (wc 13th Jan)
    John Barnes and Shazia Mirza on the panel all week

Monday 13th
    Daily Guest: Hannah White - Go Hard or Go Home (C5)

Tuesday 14th
    Daily Guest: Jasmine Harman - A Place In The Sun (C4)

Wednesday 15th
    Daily Guest: Carley Stenson - Spamalot (musical)

Thursday 16th
    Daily Guest: Brendan Sheerin - Coach Trip (C4)

Friday 17th
    Daily Guest: Rebecca Adlington - Swimming campaign (Presenting)
    Talking Telly TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan

http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-wright-stuff/guests-coming-soon/guests-from-13th-january
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Johnny B is a bit of a treat this morning, he was my pinup when I was a teen :)

Be nice if he had an opinion though. He would appear to empathise with both parties A LOT
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be nice if he had an opinion though. He would appear to empathise with both parties A LOT

He's coming across rather well I think, surprisingly articulate for a footballer which is refreshing.
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    He's coming across rather well I think, surprisingly articulate for a footballer which is refreshing.

Improving as the show goes on :)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Shazia Mirza keep referring to "white people"? Is everything a race issue to her?
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure no one gets paid in the audience! they wouldn't have the budget! about 2 years ago they had someone on the weekly panel who was difficult (I think it might have been Huey but could be wrong) and they revealed live on air :o they get around £200 for appearing on the show. Not sure if that was per week or per show but were complaining it was low. I don't think the guests do it for work! they do it to get their face in the media. They get a free car to the studios and breakfast and hot drinks.

I do know some people who go in the audience but they haven't done that regularly for ages (they were students at the time :) ). You get a free coffee at a coffee shop where you meet before the show in the shopping centre below. However you can ask them to be on the show and if you have been before they seem to find it easier because they know you are good in the studio or have good ideas to speak out about. However if you email or phone them, it's really easy to get free tickets! Eric was always looking to fill the seats in his old social media posts.

The regular people who are minor actors / extras probably do it to write on their CV's 'they have been on TV'. They appear often on BBOTS with big brother as well. Any tv audience with tickets!

I am sure some people on this thread have been in the audience, did anyone get paid?

£200 a day for the panellists IS low.

I have a friend who works in Artiste Management and he used to represent one of the Loose Women regular panellists. He no longer works for her, but when he did, she was getting approx 800 quid a day plus travel expenses to be a panellist on that show.

So for these well known names to only get 200 quid from Channel 5 is a bit of a shock to me.
    Its still not bad money though is it?!
    And I don't really believe any audiences get paid to be on TWS.
    They do it for free just to get on telly.
    :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure no one gets paid in the audience! they wouldn't have the budget! about 2 years ago they had someone on the weekly panel who was difficult (I think it might have been Huey but could be wrong) and they revealed live on air :o they get around £200 for appearing on the show.
    Can't remember the guys name but i think it was an ex-BBC R1 DJ they made the mistake of having on as a guest. Terry Christian was on the panel and it seemed this guy had some kind of axe to grind as every time Terry Christian commented on a topic, this guest guy belittled him in every way imaginable. He was extremely rude throughout and needless to say hasn't been asked back since!

I think it was him who mentioned about the money.

I do know some people who go in the audience but they haven't done that regularly for ages (they were students at the time :) ). You get a free coffee at a coffee shop where you meet before the show in the shopping centre below. However you can ask them to be on the show and if you have been before they seem to find it easier because they know you are good in the studio or have good ideas to speak out about.
    BIB is a new one to me. The most anyone in the audience gets to participate is little more than a few seconds every other week or so! Only last week a man from the audience was asked a question by MW and as he started to reply he accidentally hit the microphone with his hand. Wrighty came out with some smart arse comment so the guy just got up and walked out until he was begged to stay. Quite why i don't know as the show wrapped up then.

Most weeks on TWS the 'audience' sit there like a row of mute dummies. In fact they may as well just plonk a load of shop window mannequins on the seats. At least they'd look more attractive and it wouldn't matter that they don't talk as Wrighty doesn't like people with opinions.......unless agreeable to his own.

I've been on one 'live' TV debate show. Central Weekend Live which went out 'live' on Friday evenings around 1030pm back in the late 80's. It was similar to TWS in debating current affairs etc but where it differed was it actually did encourage audience participation. It was a hugely popular show which TWS would do well to use as a benchmark. Campbell was a very knowledgeable and slick presenter who injected enthusiasm into every topic up for debate. MW could learn a lot from him.

The main reason i went was to see how everything worked. The studio was huge and that did prove a problem because if someone at the far end was talking, you couldn't hear everything they were saying because the audio wasn't mic'd back into the audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non speaking.
    If they speak it's a bit more money - but not much. Probably an extra twenty quid.
    If the role is a credited part of course, thats a whole different pay scale.
    The non speaking Extras make their money when they do more than one episode a day [like in a soap for example] and if the filming goes into Overtime etc.
    I suppose five mornings a week in that audience for approx sixty quid each day is worth putting up with. :D

IF they are getting paid for it that is.
    I suppose some are happy to do it for free just to be on telly.

In fact I bet there are even some people who would pay the show to let them on!

I think they might get some small travel costs reimbursed. But not £60 a day! That's a bit silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    John Barnes and I think that Asian woman "comedian". The one that was happy to admit shop lifting from the age of 8 to finishing university.

Nice to see thieves prosper.

Heaven forbid a BRITISH non-male "funny person" might tell a sarcastic joke that you took completely seriously and used to beat her around the metaphorical head at every opportunity.

God no.

(She's English; her family are Pakistani)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were discussing what being 'cool' actually is.
    The audience member was being asked his opinion and accidentally knocked the mic [I think] and Matthew said "well THAT wasn't cool!" and the bloke feigned embarrassment and pretended to go home.
    Matthew fetched him back saying he can't afford to lose any audince members.

Something like that.
    I think the guy was pretending to be upset, though.

Yeah I;'m sorry but if that had been me (the audience member) I'd have laughed along with Matthew. And to his credit I think the guy was doing that in his own way, by fake walking-out. And Matthew wouldn't want someone walking out so called him back and to lighten the mood made a joke about not being able to afford to lose audience members. But he regularly winds up the audience anyway, referring to them in less than glowing terms - and they love it.

It's all called 'having a sense of humour and not taking life too seriously'. Bit of fun. Bit of a laugh. It's just telly, innit. Not blooming open heart surgery. And all that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 a day for the panellists IS low.

I have a friend who works in Artiste Management and he used to represent one of the Loose Women regular panellists. He no longer works for her, but when he did, she was getting approx 800 quid a day plus travel expenses to be a panellist on that show.

So for these well known names to only get 200 quid from Channel 5 is a bit of a shock to me.
    Its still not bad money though is it?!
    And I don't really believe any audiences get paid to be on TWS.
    They do it for free just to get on telly.
    :D

Are we sure it's not £200 for the week? That sounds more like it to me.

And special guests, that sit next to Matthew, they won't be getting paid a penny. It's part of their job to go on shows like this and plug their thing, then play along for the rest of the show. I seriously doubt special guests are getting paid an appearance fee.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Matthew didn't say anything when John Barnes mentioned (briefly) that one of his sons was.........

a BANKER!!!!:D
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I think they might get some small travel costs reimbursed. But not £60 a day! That's a bit silly.

http://www.castingcollective.co.uk/all-about-us/rates/

It's gone up.
    It's approx 70 - 80 quid a day [gross] for an Extra doing one episode.
    It only gives BBC and ITV rates. Doesnt mention channel 5. But it gives a rough idea.

Of course this is for actual Extra's. As we've said, we don't really think those audience regulars are actually Equity card carrying employees getting paid to be in the audience.

Star names will get much more of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    at least john Barnes gave his opinion on stuff, either though he does change he views mid sentence to suit the conversation. did like the first caller about the fracking subject.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heaven forbid a BRITISH non-male "funny person" might tell a sarcastic joke that you took completely seriously and used to beat her around the metaphorical head at every opportunity.

God no.

(She's English; her family are Pakistani)

She clearly wasn't joking about her thieving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    She clearly wasn't joking about her thieving.

Okay.

So… what? What are we saying here? We hold all humans responsible for everything they did as kids or students? We disallow comedians from making light of the naughty things they did as kids or students?

I mean, given that the person who made the comment had to attach it to two entirely unnecessary adjectives that both served in that context to casually demean the subject (oh noes, ASIAN and FEMALE?!), what point is being made here?
This discussion has been closed.