Options

Netflix glitches on the fabulous MythBusters

NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else get strange behaviour on any shows? I've had it from day one on the old app and the new one - in fact the new one makes things worse.

The most reliable offending show for me is the truly excellent MythBusters. If anyone is bored, try any episode and see what happens to you. I'd guess it goes screwy for me 9 times out of 10.

Thing start fine. Then anywhere between 5-20s, the red circle appears and hangs forever. The only thing to do is to up and back out of the episode back to the menu. You'll then notice that it believes you've watched 5/6ths of the show.

On the old app, I could select "play from the beginning" and then all would be well - it only ever happened on a first play. But now the horror is that my only option is to resume, landing me right at the crucial final 8 minutes or so and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW HOW IT ALL PANS OUT. So I have to turn the volume down first, squint and then fast rewind. Takes a few minutes. Then the show plays ok.

Like I say, 9 times out of 10. Once or twice I've had it on other shows. I don't know what it's got against MythBusters, but can anyone else confirm / deny this madness?

Comments

• Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same issues with varying shows, currently Breaking Bad. It stalls on loading at about 25% then when you do finally stop to reload, it thinks you've watched 3/4's of it. The only choice is to rewind, but even at 3x speed it takes an age.

Also My List isn't always there, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Oh and Netflix is slow to load, on my phone it's up in seconds, but after putting in the PIN on the Tivo box, it's a good 30-45 seconds before the home screen appears, slowly.

To be honest it's typical Virgin Media.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have almost exactly the same problem. On the new app though it now at least registers that i've watched the entire show, so it's just a process of going back into the episode selection and choosing it again.

This happens the first time I watch almost any video on Netflix. After that it works fine until I come out and back in again.

Edit - I see that it's a known issue:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Netflix-stuck-Buffering-at-25-Help-please/td-p/2288829
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both, particularly the link Blue. Good to know its known at least - very irritating that they've made it worse by not enabling you to quickly restart. It used to be a charming quirk, now it begats war and rage.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get this at all on Plusnet, and don't even often get pauses when I'm streaming through a VPN from Vodafone España. I think the posters above saying it's an ISP issue might be on to something.