The Forgotten TV Shows Shown Late at Night

owen10owen10 Posts: 126,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
There were some great shows shown at night I remember Midnight Caller and The Equalizer What shows do you remember

Comments

• snukrsnukr Posts: 19,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    There were some great show shown at night I remember Midnight Caller and The Equalizer What shows do you remember
    The Equalizer was originally shown in prime time.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matlock
    Renegade
    Tour of Duty
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the paul hogan show
    cinemattractions / cinema cinema cinema
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short Story Cinema
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sledge Hammer!
    After Dark
    Kevin Hill
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Nightstand and Son of the Beach
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,159
    Forum Member
    Cybernet
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nightshift
    War of the Worlds TV series
    Hitman and Her
    Renegade
    The Invaders
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    God's Gift

Carnal Knowledge
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BPM
    Get Stuffed
    Tales from the Darkside
    James Whale Radio Show
    Job Finder
    Midnight Caller
    Prisoner Cell Block H
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The "....Forever" music series, which was a sort of retrospective look at music vids from a particular year, with a dry/ witty commentary.

I also seem to remember a quiz hosted by Terry Christian which had a houseband fronted by Shaun Ryder's brother Paul (and possibly Bez)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its Gary Shandlings Show - the first modern "meta" sitcom. BBC Two
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pyjama party with katie Puckrik (sp). Loads of women sitting in pyjamas talking to each other
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exploitica (a 90s Channel 4 show that lampooned 50s, 60s B-Movies)
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Around 2001, I remember stuff like:

Turn On Terry - A sort of 'underground' show hosted by Terry Christian, filmed in a sort of bar with live audience and band singing the theme song

Mix Masters - Just 15 minutes/half an hour of weird, amateur rave/DJ mixes with weird, psychedelic videos

There was also a 'short stories' kind of show, I think on Channel 4 around the same time. Similar principle to Mix Masters, it was just amateur films for about half an hour, the only one I remember is ''Lucky Fence'', it was just a weird guy who jump-rolled over fences while shouting ''LUCKY FEEEENCE'' - then one night he crossed paths with a woman after a night out, offered to carry her shoes, did his lucky fence thing and never reappeared, then the woman starts shouting obscenities thinking he's done a runner with her shoes, and the film just ends with a shot of him lying motionless on the floor - having 'lucky fence'd' down a 20 foot drop into an underpass...

Also, I miss the days when BBC and ITV used to show movies late at night, rather than repetitive non-news and a crappy, cheap, 15 hour long gambling section respectively.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    First time I saw The Prisoner it was a late-night slot on ITV.

"A Question of Sex" with Clive James and Anna Raeburn.
    "Married...With Children"

Another US import, can't remember the name of it, surprising amount of nudity/sex, with the main character fantasising about being in old B&W movies.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good sex guide with Margi clarke *heaves*
    God's gift
    Bits
    Dirty films on channel 4
    Naked elvis: a quiz show that had an elvis look alike strip off after each round of the quiz
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Around 2001, I remember stuff like:

Turn On Terry - A sort of 'underground' show hosted by Terry Christian, filmed in a sort of bar with live audience and band singing the theme song

Mix Masters - Just 15 minutes/half an hour of weird, amateur rave/DJ mixes with weird, psychedelic videos

There was also a 'short stories' kind of show, I think on Channel 4 around the same time. Similar principle to Mix Masters, it was just amateur films for about half an hour, the only one I remember is ''Lucky Fence'', it was just a weird guy who jump-rolled over fences while shouting ''LUCKY FEEEENCE'' - then one night he crossed paths with a woman after a night out, offered to carry her shoes, did his lucky fence thing and never reappeared, then the woman starts shouting obscenities thinking he's done a runner with her shoes, and the film just ends with a shot of him lying motionless on the floor - having 'lucky fence'd' down a 20 foot drop into an underpass...

Also, I miss the days when BBC and ITV used to show movies late at night, rather than repetitive non-news and a crappy, cheap, 15 hour long gambling section respectively.

"Turn on Terry" may be the one I was thinking of further up the page!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bakerfield PD
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    First time I saw The Prisoner it was a late-night slot on ITV.

"A Question of Sex" with Clive James and Anna Raeburn.
    "Married...With Children"

Another US import, can't remember the name of it, surprising amount of nudity/sex, with the main character fantasising about being in old B&W movies.

I just remembered - it was 'Dream On'.
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick Of The Week
    About Britain
    The Highwayman
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    Friday The 13th - The Series
    Quiz Night
    Special Squad
    Dial A Date
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    "Video View" with Mariella Frostrup.
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under the Moon - Live Sports talk show on Ch4 with Danny Kelly, Tom Binns and Lisa Rogers. Lots of drunken idiots phoning in swearing or calling Danny fat :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPSJRSbaYU
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its Gary Shandlings Show - the first modern "meta" sitcom. BBC Two

That wasn't on late at night - it was on BBC2 during a Sunday early evening in the spring of 87.

And Midnight Caller was on around 9.30-ish in the late nineties.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two and a half men