Options

I hate the Rolling Stones

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    Look here, Sir Mick and friends, you've had a good fifty year run of proving that the public will buy any old derivative tenth-rate muck if it's marketed properly, and at least thirty of those years have been spent dragging your fly-blown corpse of an act around the world's stadiums, kindly pack it in and clear off while you still have a few clear years before you die.

I saw a bit of that film about them on Ch4, how do they get away with it? Old druggy rubber lips fannying around like a ferret marionette going "WOOP! WOOP!" like an out of tune kettle, the other three ossified turds lurching around the stage like the seediest men outside of Bob Grant and Reg Varney, all creating one unholy flipping racket that would disgrace even a pub band playing third on the bill at the Dog and Cobblers on a Sunday lunchtime.

They were the Beastie Boys of the 60s - middle class white boys pretending to be mad, bad and dangerous to know. Peeing up petrol pumps...what a flipping pathetic act of rebellion. Ironically the only one who was a genuine madhead was prissy little Brian Jones, and only women got the rough end of his nasty little temper.

I know someone who went to see them at Wembley Stadium in '81 or '82 and they got blown off the stage by the J Geils Band. That's the J Geils Band of 'Centrefold' infamy. If I was blown off the stage by the J.Geils Band, I'd give it all up in an instant and go back to running posh restaurants.

Remember when that narrow-arsed Easter Island faced pranny Bill Wyman was shagging an underage girl? Why didn't he see the inside of Broadmoor? Wanna be in my gang, Bill?

They never meant it. Psychedelic rock is selling? Let's fart out 'Ruby Tuedsay', the most miserable dirge since the funeral march. Satanic for awhile when it was cool. Yeah, they went 'bluesy' (back to their derivative roots) on Exile, but wasn't it just a pose? It certainly didn't carry over. Reggae here and there. Bit of disco, when that was selling. Occasionally country for a laugh. While some bands can successfully intergrate the latest trends into their sounds, with the Stones, it always sounded to me like a purely commercial endeavor. What sheen could they put on their sound so it would sell?

Ha ha excellent... "narrow-arsed Easter Island faced pranny Bill Wyman .":eek:

Great post.

However I must take issue on one point. I was present at that gig in Wembley, and J.Geils did not blow the Stones off the stage. Sorry that just didn't happen. If anything the reggae band that played (can't remember their name Black Slate or Black Uhuru) were the best act on the day. Not to say that the Rolling Stones didn't put on a good show - they did!

I remember the reason I was so keen to grab a ticket, the rumour was this was the last chance you would get to see Stones... this was 1982 I think...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed reading the original post. I don't share the opinion though, I think the Stones have done great songs (if not great albums) over recent decades and I saw them on their 40th anniversary tour and they still had it , the Shine a Light album and film shows they still have it even now.

But we all like different stuff and that's the way it should be.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I must hear this NO ONE band in that case

Obviously he means Peter Noone... of Herman's Hermits.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd argue The Beatles/Paul McCartney, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, have more classics but the Stones I would say have a few dozen classics which is more than most can say.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has a better back catalogue than them... and I mean NO ONE.

Not only have Dylan, Springsteen, Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, The Who, Marley, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed, David Bowie, U2, Pink Floyd, AC/DC got better back catalogues, they make better music now...(even those who don't make any music!)

Still I did like The Stones in the 60s and early 70s, just don't get what the attraction is now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby Tuesday is one of my favourites:D
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    To be honest, the only Rolling Stones song that I can stand is 2,000 Light Years From Home.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has a better back catalogue than them... and I mean NO ONE. .

apart from the obvious (see above)

the velvet underground
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    Look here, Sir Mick and friends, you've had a good fifty year run of proving that the public will buy any old derivative tenth-rate muck if it's marketed properly, and at least thirty of those years have been spent dragging your fly-blown corpse of an act around the world's stadiums, kindly pack it in and clear off while you still have a few clear years before you die.

I saw a bit of that film about them on Ch4, how do they get away with it? Old druggy rubber lips fannying around like a ferret marionette going "WOOP! WOOP!" like an out of tune kettle, the other three ossified turds lurching around the stage like the seediest men outside of Bob Grant and Reg Varney, all creating one unholy flipping racket that would disgrace even a pub band playing third on the bill at the Dog and Cobblers on a Sunday lunchtime.

They were the Beastie Boys of the 60s - middle class white boys pretending to be mad, bad and dangerous to know. Peeing up petrol pumps...what a flipping pathetic act of rebellion. Ironically the only one who was a genuine madhead was prissy little Brian Jones, and only women got the rough end of his nasty little temper.

I know someone who went to see them at Wembley Stadium in '81 or '82 and they got blown off the stage by the J Geils Band. That's the J Geils Band of 'Centrefold' infamy. If I was blown off the stage by the J.Geils Band, I'd give it all up in an instant and go back to running posh restaurants.

Remember when that narrow-arsed Easter Island faced pranny Bill Wyman was shagging an underage girl? Why didn't he see the inside of Broadmoor? Wanna be in my gang, Bill?

They never meant it. Psychedelic rock is selling? Let's fart out 'Ruby Tuedsay', the most miserable dirge since the funeral march. Satanic for awhile when it was cool. Yeah, they went 'bluesy' (back to their derivative roots) on Exile, but wasn't it just a pose? It certainly didn't carry over. Reggae here and there. Bit of disco, when that was selling. Occasionally country for a laugh. While some bands can successfully intergrate the latest trends into their sounds, with the Stones, it always sounded to me like a purely commercial endeavor. What sheen could they put on their sound so it would sell?

i was going to reply with ...
    While I don't really agree with you, I commend you on a well written opinion piece.

but soupie beat me too it!

i dont agree with your sentiments, but cannot knock your reasoning. :)
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I like some of their music, they do look like those corpses that have been buried under ice for hundreds of years only less animated
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... well at least they lived upto their names.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Although I like some of their music, they do look like those corpses that have been buried under ice for hundreds of years only less animated
    "I never quit the drugs, I'm just waiting for them to invent something more interesting"

Keith Richards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1d/OetzitheIceman02.jpg/300px-OetzitheIceman02.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfair to hate them really. They would only be clogging up care homes by now if they was normal peopls
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stones are great. Best years musically are probably behind them but those concerts last year showed that they could still rock with the best of them.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're one of the few bands whose music i like but iv'e never cared much about as individuals. Mick has always been a bit embarrassing and too much in thrall to the aristocracy, and Keith too much of a rock cliche - the real hard-living artists do it properly and frankly, die, such as Amy, they don't ponce around in a bandana and act like a drunk pirate. The other members iv'e never cared about.

But forget all that and listen to the songs...even their recent single, not one of their greatest, pretty much blew the rest of the current music away
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been much of a fan of the Stones really but that recent film Crossfire Hurricane was excellent - gave a vivid impression of their original impact during the 60s and the genuine excitement they generated, something many people forget now due to them hanging around for so long, like a stale fart.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same thing has happened to them as it has to arguably the most important singer/composer alive, Paul McCartney. When people get too familiar with you, as they have done for over 5 years, they start to get sick of you and ask why your still around especially when your peak was arguably years before. In Britain especially we like to make our national treasures look bad whereas in America they are more easily seen as legends.