5.1 Surround Sound

I have acquired a 5.1 Surround Sound System(Panasonic SC-HT500) and want to connect this to my Samsung 40" LCD TV,Will I be able to do this?

Comments

• cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    I also have a Panasonic DRM ES10 and would like to use this as is a DVD Recordable
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only inputs on the SC-HT500 are analogue stereo phonos. You might be lucky and have a matching pair of analogue audio out phonos on the TV. But these days they are as rare as hen's teeth. Chances are the only analogue output the TV has is the headphone socket (and even those seem to be getting rarer).
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your TV has a Scart socket you may be able to get analogue stereo from this?
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    cmorris wrote: »
    I have acquired a 5.1 Surround Sound System(Panasonic SC-HT500) and want to connect this to my Samsung 40" LCD TV,Will I be able to do this?

You shoud be able to connect to the TV via scart, that will allow to play back DVD's in DD/DTS when available. For the audio of the TV to come through the sound system you will need an audio output on the TV, this can be phonos, headphone socket (3.5mm to stereo phono) or digital output (optical/coaxial to stereo phono convertor).
    Forum Member
    I was given a 5.1 Home Theater System which I picked up today and ( SC-HT500) to have in my lounge but I seem to have not been given some bits such as
    AM Loop Antenna,
    FM Indoor Antenna,
    Video Cable,
    System Cable

can I use subsitutes?.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Not sure what is meant by "system cable" but otherwise all standard items.
    Forum Member
    I was given a 5.1 Home Theater System which I picked up today and ( SC-HT500) to have in my lounge but I seem to have not been given some bits such as
    AM Loop Antenna,
    FM Indoor Antenna,
    Video Cable,
    System Cable

can I use subsitutes?.

The system cable will probably have to be an original part, that's not cheap, £56.99 from partsmaster, you may find one cheaper on eBay. The other cables are pretty much standard so you can source from say Maplins or any online av shop.
    Forum Member
    Can give me pictures of what they look like

Why didn't I get everything.I have the Surround Sound Speakers, DVD Drive, Power Cable and Scart Lead and Speaker cables (5 of them)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Looking at your OP you say you "acquired" it which sounds like you did not buy it from a shop? In any case you need to ask whoever you acquired it from why it does not have those items included.
    Forum Member
    I have the Sub working via Scart Lead to TV
    Forum Member
    In addition to my earlier post I have found lots of black wires with Yellow, Read, Black and White connectors on the end. Will these be sufficient? and I have checked the back of my speakers and all have Black and Red cable slots (for connection to sub) and not whole connectors
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to my earlier post I have found lots of black wires with Yellow, Read, Black and White connectors on the end. Will these be sufficient? and I have checked the back of my speakers and all have Black and Red cable slots (for connection to sub) and not whole connectors

I take it that a manual was not included in this package? In which case perhaps some time spent reading one would solve many of your questions?

http://www.theatresystem-manual.com/manuals/panasonic/Panasonic_SC-HT500.pdf
    Forum Member
    A manual was provided
    Forum Member
    A manual was provided
    Then you should be aware you will need the system cable to connect the two components together before the system becomes operational, without that the system is useless.
    Forum Member
    The system cable is long and Black and connects the Sub to the DVD Surround Unit. (it has a rectangular end - thin) I got Sound out of the Sub when it was connected and connected Scart from the DVD to TV
    Forum Member
    The system cable is long and Black and connects the Sub to the DVD Surround Unit. (it has a rectangular end - thin) I got Sound out of the Sub when it was connected and connected Scart from the DVD to TV

So the system cable is present and not missing as indicated in an eairler post.

How do you expect anyone to help if they havent got the relevant information.

You have the manual, you seemingly have the cables to get it up and running, as Chris has said, some time reading it will solve any remaining connection/operating issues.
    Forum Member
    Ok I am missing

1 Remote
    1 AM Loop antenna
    1 Indoor Antenna
    1 Video Cable

I have

All 5 Speaker (+ Subwoofer)
    1 System Cable
    A box of Audio Cables (don't know if they will be right)
    1 Instruction Manual
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These leads, do they have phono connectors on them, like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/6909382.jpg

if so then it's unlikely they are speaker leads. From the manual it sounds like the speaker cable is just bare ends with one copper and one silver coloured, bit like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/CB13974-40.jpg

If you don't have any speaker leads then any two core cable will do as long as you can identify the two cores. Even something like a length of 6 amp mains cable would do.
    Forum Member
    Ok I am missing

1 Remote
    1 AM Loop antenna
    1 Indoor Antenna
    1 Video Cable

I have

All 5 Speaker (+ Subwoofer)
    1 System Cable
    A box of Audio Cables (don't know if they will be right)
    1 Instruction Manual

Replacement remote - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SC-HT500-Replacement-Control-RemotesReplaced/dp/B008A66J0G

Replacement am loop antenna - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=am+loop+antenna&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=45760857848&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11661703029756899594&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_86uwyzdke3_b

Replacement FM indoor antenna - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic I FM/171618914638

Speaker cable if none supplied - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15m-Speaker-Cable-322-Strand-Loud-Wire-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Car-Loudspeaker-Quality-/221054466036

Connections....

Connect Player to TV via scart.

Connect player to sub via system cable.

Connect wires to speakers - connect corresponding speaker wires to back of sub.

If you are still unsure how the wires/cables connect, the manual has diagrams and will help you make the above connection.

Audio from your TV through sound system - providing the TV has an audio output, this can be stereo phonos, 3.5mm headphone socket or digital (optical/coaxial) output, you can connect these to the audio inputs on the sound system. A convertor will be required if using digital outputs.
    Forum Member
    *sorry link not working
    Forum Member
    These cables

http://postimg.org/image/j64sgsgft/

Will any loop antenna work as I have one in the Garage I think for a HIFI
    Forum Member
    These cables

http://postimg.org/image/j64sgsgft/

Will any loop antenna work as I have one in the Garage I think for a HIFI

If you are wanting tv sound from the system, the lead with red/white plugs may be of use if your tv has phono audio outputs and it's long enough.

The lead with red/white plugs and a single black plug looks like like it's for headphone output on the tv. This can be used if you have no phono outputs but have a headphone socket on the tv.

If you have connect the player via scart the other cables will be of no use.

The antenna should work, try it
    Forum Member
    Can't find in Garage.
    Forum Member
    Our Setup is like this:

1. The Sky Box is connected to the DVD (TV) Scart
    2. The DVD (AV) Scart is connected to the TV
    3. the scarton the TV is a double so 1 is connected to the TV, the other is going into the DVD Surround Sound.

I want to get the 5.1 playing anything thats on SKY so do I connect the DVD Surround Sound directly to the Sky box or can I use a 4 in 1 on the Sky box? and when I insert DVD's into the DVD Recorder such as a DVD it will play through the surround sound unit?
    Forum Member
    Our Setup is like this:

1. The Sky Box is connected to the DVD (TV) Scart
    2. The DVD (AV) Scart is connected to the TV
    3. the scarton the TV is a double so 1 is connected to the TV, the other is going into the DVD Surround Sound.

I want to get the 5.1 playing anything thats on SKY so do I connect the DVD Surround Sound directly to the Sky box or can I use a 4 in 1 on the Sky box? and when I insert DVD's into the DVD Recorder such as a DVD it will play through the surround sound unit?

You won't get 5.1 from Sky because the sound system has no digital/HDMI input.

You can connect the DVDr to the sound system via the stereo audio outputs, but you will need a switch box if you are wanting to connect more than one device to the sound system.

Not really any point playing DVD's through the DVDr as it will only give you DPL at best - DVD's through the systems player should give you 5.1 when available.