The Late Late Show with James Corden – weeknights at 12:35am on CBS

Comments

• hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    He has to do that, slip in a little bit of the native tongue to get them on board lol.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I know there was a thread about this once but why are these shows so popular in America? No one is watching TV at that time of night in the UK, they've never gained an audience here and every attempt at a similar British nightly talk show has failed.

I think we just have to accept the American audience is sometimes very different to the British audience. People watch television later in the US. They also watch television earlier, with some morning shows starting as early as 4:30 or 5am. Therefore I conclude Americans hardly sleep. :D

But to be honest, a programmes timeslot is becoming less and less important. A lot of Corden’s viewers (as with Fallon’s) will be watching the show the following day, either on demand, on PVR, or via YouTube. The challenge for the networks is to ensure money is still made from these delayed viewings.
    Melp26 wrote: »
    Did anyone else detect a hint of a phoney American accent? Esp when he was telling Milas about the misunderstanding with the pap.

I didn’t. But if he did I suspect it wasn’t intentional. After living in another country and associating with the natives it’s somewhat inevitable you start to imitate them at least a bit. But Craig Ferguson still has a strong Scottish accent after living in LA for 20 years, so I doubt James Corden will become totally ‘American’.

I watched the first show in full last night and thought it was very good, which for a brand new programme is fantastic. But it was clear that a lot of money and effort had gone into the first show. I’ll keep watching because it’ll be interesting to see what happens once the daily grind kicks in. But first impressions, very good.
    I can see lots of British influence from the likes of Graham Norton and TFI Friday, which is nice. A twist on the conventional US talk show, without completely reinventing it.
    This is clearly CBS’s attempt to imitate Jimmy Fallon’s Tonight Show, so it’ll be interesting to see what approach Stephen Colbert’s new Late Show is going to adopt. Maybe a slightly older, more topical and political approach?

I’m thinking CBS’s strategy is to compete with Fallon, but not directly head to head at 11:30pm. Complete with him at 12:30am with Corden, then do something a bit different when they’re head to head with Fallon at 11:30pm with Colbert.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, Reggie Watts knows how to get an audience moving.
    Forum Member
    I think Craig Ferguson once said that if you asked the people that went to his stand up shows, every one under 40 would tell you they don't watch it as it airs, they watch it the next day or later on in the week so what he did in that time slot didn't matter like it used to matter because most people that watched the late night shows, especially young people never watched them as they aired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ratings for the first show have been released. The Late Late Show with James Corden got 1.66 million with a 0.4 demo (18-49 year olds) compared to Late Night with Seth Meyers which got 1.52 million in the same timeslot on NBC.

It was The Late Late Show’s highest rating in 3 years, and is 13% higher in viewers and 33% higher in the demo than last year’s average with Craig Ferguson as host. But, to be honest, those sort of comparisons are pointless in my view.
    A more fair comparison, in my eyes, is that Corden’s debut got 1.66 million compared to Ferguson’s debut of 2.1 million back in 2005.

A good start, I can’t doubt that, but I was expecting the gap between Corden and Meyes to be bigger on his debut.

Now we need to wait and see what happens as normality kicks in, and Corden faces a few pros and cons from his lead in over the coming months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I think Craig Ferguson once said that if you asked the people that went to his stand up shows, every one under 40 would tell you they don't watch it as it airs, they watch it the next day or later on in the week so what he did in that time slot didn't matter like it used to matter because most people that watched the late night shows, especially young people never watched them as they aired.

Indeed. The problem the networks have is that they only make any real money from the viewers who are watching it live (or in some cases, within 24 hours). They need to secure a better revenue stream from on demand, PVR and YouTube viewers.
    Forum Member
    Craig was rumoured to be on $6 million per year for the last 2 years of his contract and whatever he got for the rest of the year till December. They must have been making plenty to pay him that kind of money even if his ratings aren't great.

Say what you want about the US but when you think about it and things like TV shows and oppertunities, you couldnt make that kind of money here could you? If you got that kind of money here you'd need to be like THE number 1 guy on TV not like Craig was which was nowhere near the top of the ladder as far as TV goes.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how successful John Oliver has been with Last Week Tonight, I think a more topical approach could work for The Late Show although I suspect they'll still have a band, monologue etc and a good dose of humour but it won't be as zany or frenetic compared to Fallon and Kimmel.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I think we just have to accept the American audience is sometimes very different to the British audience. People watch television later in the US. They also watch television earlier, with some morning shows starting as early as 4:30 or 5am. Therefore I conclude Americans hardly sleep. :D

Jokes aside, the truth is far simpler. There are only around 64 million Brits. There are around 319 million Americans. Really that explains it all. There are far more eyes out there to cover both the early and late ends with adequate numbers.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Beckham is on the show next Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Watched both episodes and think overall he is doing very well, just needs to relax a bit more but that will come with time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Corden was on 'Conan' last night talking about his new show. It'll be on TruTV in the UK late tonight at 1am.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Given how successful John Oliver has been with Last Week Tonight, I think a more topical approach could work for The Late Show although I suspect they'll still have a band, monologue etc and a good dose of humour but it won't be as zany or frenetic compared to Fallon and Kimmel.

John Oliver does politics generally and political satire in particular?

He has as much in common with Corden as a three-legged giraffe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    James Corden was on 'Conan' last night talking about his new show. It'll be on TruTV in the UK late tonight at 1am.

Which Conan? The one on Tru TV or TCM?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Which Conan? The one on Tru TV or TCM?

TruTV, tonight at 1am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    John Oliver does politics generally and political satire in particular?

He has as much in common with Corden as a three-legged giraffe.

I agree. :D Which makes it odd to think CBS met with John Oliver as a potential host of The Late Late Show last year.

But I think the OP was saying that Stephen Colbert’s ‘Late Show’ might take a more political stance compared to the high energy pop culture stance of the likes of Corden, Fallon and Kimmel.
    To me that would make sense, CBS shouldn’t try and beat NBC/Fallon at 11:30pm with the same type of show as there’s a very strong chance they’ll lose that fight, they should aim the show at the remaining audience that don’t want to watch Fallon. Then CBS can complete with Fallon’s style of show in their 12:30am slot with Corden, when it’s not a head to head direct competition.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've watched the first two shows and thought they were good. The audience seems overactive (or is that just US audiences for you).

Tom Hanks was good value. So were Pine and Arquette. Obviously they haven't just turned up to plug their latest venture as they would have had to put a little time into rehearsals.

It's the first week so it's still bedding in and I assume in the coming weeks it will settle down into the guests coming on to plug as well as having a chat.

Also think Corden needs to change his style in the monologue. Being the first couple of shows he was bound to be modest and excited so will see how that works out.

Lat time I saw Reggie Watts he was on Russell Howard's Good News in the extended standup slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this sort of thing has been done before but James Corden was on fire getting Mariah Carey involved and singing along to her songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2iwQoKD6mg

The game he played with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell sadly was just rubbish. He's got a while to go yet to be as good as Fallon's games are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’ve now watched all of the shows from the first week of The Late Late Show with James Corden, and I have to admit, I’m impressed. I know it’s extremely early days, but it’s a lot better than I thought it would be and I’m actually looking forward to watching more next week.
    What is interesting though is identifying all of the things James Corden has ‘lovingly borrowed’ from other talk shows both in the UK and the US. I honestly don’t mean that as a bad thing as I think he’s taken some of the best bits from numerous other programmes and put them in one programme, with great affect. Here’s what I’m talking about:

The ‘one subject’ monologue – something Craig Ferguson used to do. Rather than do 10-15 different topical jokes as is the norm, pick one subject and ‘rift’ about it.
    The ‘cold open’ before the titles – again something Craig Ferguson used to do.
    The ‘outside broadcast’ comedy bit with the pizza delivery guy – inspired from Conan O’Brien and the very early days of David Letterman
    The ‘celeb games and comedy skits’ that will inevitably go viral – inspired from Jimmy Fallon
    The ‘who’s in the greenroom tonight’ – inspired by Jonathan Ross
    The ‘interviewing guests all at the same time’ – inspired by Graham Norton
    The ‘interviewing amongst the guests rather than behind a desk’ – inspired by Graham Norton
    The ‘guests entering through the audience’ – inspired by TFI Friday
    The ‘guests photo both pics and signing of the wall’ – inspired by TFI Friday
    The ‘bar in the studio’ – inspired by TFI Friday
    The ‘dancing with the audience at the end of the show’ – inspired by Ellen

Obviously these are just my views, and they are in no way meant as a criticism, I suppose I’m just highlighting that I don’t think there’s anything original here, but a very well crafted programme featuring all the best bits of other talk shows. Like I said, I’m looking forward to watching more next week.
    Forum Member
    Parkinson and Wogan and other British chat shows have had a interviewer in a chair with no desk.

The desk is probably a US import to the British chat show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Lat time I saw Reggie Watts he was on Russell Howard's Good News in the extended standup slot.

Reggie Watts actually already has a late night talk show connection – he chosen by Conan O’Brien as the opening act on his ‘Legally Prohibited from being Funny on Television Tour’ when he was fired from The Tonight Show.

And other things James Corden has ‘lovingly borrowed’ is the use of a comedian with a musical background as a band leader – as Seth Meyers has done with Fred Armisen.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a really good show, the only one thing I'd say is that him being so grateful at being given the applause he is given is a bit odd and I'm sure it will end soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    he needs to relax a bit and not be to worried about going off script and let the interview flow more. Apart from that I think he is doing a brilliant job and I'm really enjoying the show
    Forum Member
    It's a really good show, the only one thing I'd say is that him being so grateful at being given the applause he is given is a bit odd and I'm sure it will end soon.
    I don't think it will. I made the same comment about the audience but I know think it's part of the US chat show format.
    Watched Conan the other night and there was about a minute of applause and that's with him trying to calm them down.
    I reckon if the hosts didn't the audience wouldn't shut up at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    David Beckham is on the show next Monday.

Yep, two Brits on the show this week – David Beckham tonight and Olly Murrs on Wednesday.