Options

Steve MacLaren sacked by Derby.

2»

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand getting shot of a manager who has failed big time and gets a club relegated. I can understand sacking a manager that buys players who perform miserably.

But to sack a bloke who did well to take Derby to the brink of the Premiership?.

That I fail to understand (I would say more, but I don't want a ban!)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I can understand getting shot of a manager who has failed big time and gets a club relegated. I can understand sacking a manager that buys players who perform miserably.

But to sack a bloke who did well to take Derby to the brink of the Premiership?.

That I fail to understand (I would say more, but I don't want a ban!)

It's a results business and he didn't get the results...12pts from the final 13 matches. They should have been challenging for the league/play offs at the very least, considering their position in February.

Quite easy to understand really why he was sacked.
  • Options
    BeaurepaireBeaurepaire Posts: 13,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like McClaren is set to be named as Newcastle's Manager next week >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Lets see how long he lasts at his beloved Newcastle.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like McClaren is set to be named as Newcastle's Manager next week >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Lets see how long he lasts at his beloved Newcastle.

Two questions.

Why does this make you so angry?

And his "beloved" Newcastle? I thought his biggest affinity with the north east was with Boro?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Two questions.

Why does this make you so angry?

And his "beloved" Newcastle? I thought his biggest affinity with the north east was with Boro?

I am a Derby supporter :) McClaren let down the club. I felt he would rather have been Manager of Newcastle than Derby last season and therefore the phrase "his beloved Newcastle". was used sarcastically by myself. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Now Derby have a new manager, Paul Clements, who I hope will take them into the Premiership in the future. :)
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I am a Derby supporter :) McClaren let down the club. I felt he would rather have been Manager of Newcastle than Derby last season and therefore the phrase "his beloved Newcastle". was used sarcastically by myself. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Now Derby have a new manager, Paul Clements, who I hope will take them into the Premiership in the future. :)

I don't think he let them down personally, but there you go.

I think you'd have been much better off with a proven manager than a bloke who has never, ever managed a team before as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he let them down personally, but there you go.

I think you'd have been much better off with a proven manager than a bloke who has never, ever managed a team before as well.

We shall see :)
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he will get anyone on loan from Real Madrid's B team, or from PSG who I think he still has very good links with, if so, Derby could have a few good players in their squad.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's interesting because McLaren could easily have left Derby if he really wanted the Newcastle job and was at pains to stress he was only focused on Derby!

He failed in his task of getting the club up but failed the club? I don't think so! :)