Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to fancy him many years ago.:blush:
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting for codeblue to rail at the injustice of it all whIle noting how Frank Stapleton once got off scot free when dropping a crisp packet.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting for codeblue to rail at the injustice of it all whIle noting how Frank Stapleton once got off scot free when dropping a crisp packet.

She's bound to drag Gerrard into it, but not now I've mentioned it :D
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    She's bound to drag Gerrard into it, but not now I've mentioned it :D

Nailed on.

All we can do now is eagerly anticipate.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocking truly shocking

What will the kids who grew up looking up at him think? Will they all go around knocking people out?

Did he earn more then a nurse? With Ken Bates in charge its doubtful so I don't think the moral wagon will be hitched to this one
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be serious for a moment its sad to see what happens to some players of that generation. With all the money and opportunities in the game afterwards for players today its easy to forget that the hereos of the 80s really don't have the wealth and fame to compare.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally different job nowadays, Many players of the 80's would never have lasted in today's top league. Not saying they did not have the talent but with the "role model" utter crap and the way the media is run today and society in general they just would lacked the tools to operate in today's bubble. The last 10 pages of football tread on here would be "X should be sacked or has done y"
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Totally different job nowadays, Many players of the 80's would never have lasted in today's top league. Not saying they did not have the talent but with the "role model" utter crap and the way the media is run today and society in general they just would lacked the tools to operate in today's bubble. The last 10 pages of football tread on here would be "X should be sacked or has done y"

I think at time Dixon was playing the press were just starting to circle on football, and creating hero's out of players. They'd built up Best and then destroyed him afterwards, but in the 80's the start of what we have today began. I think some of the players then would have adapted, in fact most would, what may have slipped your mind is that today the clubs train the players to be media savvy, and that is what would have let the players of the 80's down. Quite a few players then though knew how to manipulate the press or had them on there side, Bryan Robson was one.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to fancy him many years ago.:blush:

So did I, recent pictures he hasnt worn well im afraid.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on Codeblue where, are you, I expected her in this thread ages ago, why is she keeping a low profile. ;-)
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That and the Sansom revelations are quite sad to read about.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he got previous?

Nine months in jail for a quick pub fight seems a bit much.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met him when he played for Millwall at a Millwall fun day. He was lovely to everyone. Chatting to the kids and signing autographs and having pics done.

Actually, all the players were like that except Alex Rae but he had to suck it up after Mick Mccarthy gave him a bollocking.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Shocking truly shocking

What will the kids who grew up looking up at him think? Will they all go around knocking people out?

Did he earn more then a nurse? With Ken Bates in charge its doubtful so I don't think the moral wagon will be hitched to this one

Are you being serious?

Children aren't that stupid or impressionable; They know right from wrong. As for his legacy as a footballer, that should remain intact. What he does beyond the field, unless it relates to on-field activity, should have no bearing on what he does/did on it.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    ...he wasn't being serious...