Very slow water leak - any advice welcomed

ahrimaniacahrimaniac Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello

Let me start off by saying I'm as thick as mince when it comes to DIY. Don't judge me, I do try my best. I might get the terms wrong but hopefully I'll get my point across.

We moved into our current house three years ago and there was a slow leak in the bathroom, causing water damage. We discovered this when we lifted the hallway carpet and found a damp patch. We found an excellent plumber who came out, replaced all the damaged parts, fixed the piping, dried the room out and did a cracking job with the new bathroom. Never had a problem for three years.

This Sunday past I stepped on the hallway carpet (we are a bungalow) and it was wet in a very small, concentrated spot. I pulled it up and lo and behold, a big sodden patch on the chipboard in exactly the same place as before, plus another one a little further away.

Picture here of the first patch. Picture here of the second patch.

You can see the previous patch that had dried out and the new one - the pen markings are where I've marked out the size to see how fast it is growing.

We reported it to our plumber who to his credit came out straight away (no charge) and tested all the taps and whatnot and discovered a tiny drip from our waste pipe AND the overflow 'cap' on the bath was loose, meaning everytime we had a bath water may have been getting over the side. He remedied both, no charge.

We have been taking baths daily instead of showering for the last few weeks as our shower needs replacing which he's coming to do mid July.

However, the patch is very slowly getting bigger.

My other half thinks that if the floor underneath has sustained a fair bit of water that even though the source of the leak has been fixed, it'll still be absorbing into the chipboard and will eventually slow down. It's growing 'out' by about half a cm a day.

My gut feeling is that we need to get this chipboard up and the pipes looking at, but (and this is silly, I know) I don't know how best to go about it - do I get the plumber, or Trace and Access people to find a leak, or a floor guy? We have insurance but it doesn't cover Trace and Access - pah.

I'm more worried that we're going to have to rip up all the tiles in the bathroom to find the leak but who knows?

Anyone got the vaguest idea of what I could reasonably expect to pay in all of this?

I'll come back and answer any questions that I haven't covered. Our plumber is away at the moment hence not asking him. He's back next week so if it can wait then fine, but I don't know.

Thoughts welcomed!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To have wet patches in exactly the same place would suggest that the leak that was supposedly fixed 3 year's ago may not have been fixed properly.

Water can spread very easily in chipboard but if it had been fixed 3 year's ago it should be totally dry now.

Just a process of elimination really, all visible pipework including the waste, cracks in the bath and silicone seals, also the toilet soil pipe and overflow, I wouldn't start lifting the floor up yet.

When water leaks slowly it drops down which would suggest that the leak is above the floor.

Are you sure know one has spilled anything on the floor, a cat or dog having a wee?

Get a plumber, if anyone.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paging seacam; if theres a better guy when it comes to messing with water/gas on the forums i'll be amazed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Paging seacam; if theres a better guy when it comes to messing with water/gas on the forums i'll be amazed
    Arse licker.

It's because most people haven't got a bloody clue, it's not exactly rocket science but common sense and having a good mind for problem solving.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    To have wet patches in exactly the same place would suggest that the leak that was supposedly fixed 3 year's ago may not have been fixed properly.

Water can spread very easily in chipboard but if it had been fixed 3 year's ago it should be totally dry now.

Just a process of elimination really, all visible pipework including the waste, cracks in the bath and silicone seals, also the toilet soil pipe and overflow, I wouldn't start lifting the floor up yet.

When water leaks slowly it drops down which would suggest that the leak is above the floor.

Are you sure know one has spilled anything on the floor, a cat or dog having a wee?

Get a plumber, if anyone.
    Wrong and right and such contempt from someone towards those that might not have DIY skills.

it's wrong to suggest the leak wasn't fixed properly 3 years ago, a good clue as to what may be going on is in the photo.

The affected floor is by a door opening/s, door openings Andrew are something you walk through generally on a daily basis.

It is very possible pipes under the flooring through notches in the joist are not set deep enough and every time the floor is walked on, any pipe work is being compromised/weakened. if there is a pipe join any where near, this too might be damaged, a floor fixing could also be the culprit.

As for not lifting the flooring, wrong again Andrew, it's the first thing to be done and for several reason, one being, I surmise, the flooring is not floor grade.

Again Andrew for your education, depending on the age of the property or when the floor was laid, floor grade wasn't a requirement in times past.

I would say that section of the floor need replacing, so kill two birds, check pipe work and bring the floor up to spec' if required.

Of course it could be seals and/or other things but I suspect it's pipe work.

You might have also suggested to the OP, if they have a combi, are they loosing pressure or is there a rad' near by?

And while you are accusing others of arse licking and making it unpleasant for members to ask for advise or being directed by others to others who know what they are talking about and can help,--- I suggest you get yours out of yours as a sound process of elimination.

Dog or cat peeing in this instance, yeah right Andrew.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracing water can be very difficult - when all else fails you could try tracing dye - Amazon sell it.

Never assume you know where it may be coming from - dye every source - toilet, bath, sinks one at a time and give enough time for a slow leak to show.

My neighbour ripped his house apart last year (with plumbers) last year trying to find a leak without using dye and it took them a seriously long time and caused plenty of damage.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree , lift flooring. Check all pipework and fittings. Long runs of pipe expand and contract a lot, I have had to re-solder a Yorkshire fitting that has pulled slightly being on a long run and held solid at each end of pipe run. Always on the Hot obviously, You can buy expansion fittings, I made my own though by inserting/creating a U I have done this sort of repair in different properties( thinking about it all were Bungalows). Good Luck. PS look out for Carpet Gripper nails and the Threshold strip nails ,I've seen those cause a leak several times as well.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defo lift flooring - beware, chipboard crumbles when wet! Not a good idea at all to leave it wet, or someday, your foot will go through the floor!