Cat Not Eating

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
My cat is a fussy eater,,,but over the last week he wont touch his food,,,,,,he hangs about for food but he sniffs it and leaves it.
He eats his biscuits ok and he eats a bit of sliced ham,,,,but he's had four different makes of food and wont eat them.
Is there anything wrong with him cus he's starting to worry us??

Comments

• ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take him in your arms and give him a big hug, and don't let any lying heartless vet near him.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Zimmie wrote: »
    Take him in your arms and give him a big hug, and don't let any lying heartless vet near him.

Vets don't always get it right, I know my Tabitha might have lived a lot longer without all their well meaning 'interventions' but I probably should have known better myself. I was in a state of panic at the time and trusted their initial advice.

However, it would be far worse if your cat had died and you hadn't brought him to the vet. I mean you would feel far worse, you would be full of guilt and remorse. I know I would. You did the best you could for your cat and I am sure the vet acted with good intentions - but vets, like doctors, make mistakes.

As for the OP's post, as long as the cat is eating biscuits and drinking, I personally wouldn't be too concerned. Cats can be very, very fussy.
  • ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Vets don't always get it right, I know my Tabitha might have lived a lot longer without all their well meaning 'interventions' but I probably should have known better myself. I was in a state of panic at the time and trusted their initial advice.

However, it would be far worse if your cat had died and you hadn't brought him to the vet. I mean you would feel far worse, you would be full of guilt and remorse. I know I would. You did the best you could for your cat and I am sure the vet acted with good intentions - but vets, like doctors, make mistakes.

As for the OP's post, as long as the cat is eating biscuits and drinking, I personally wouldn't be too concerned. Cats can be very, very fussy.
    I am sure there are good vets, not angels maybe people who made mistakes but still had best intentions, but i suspect that 80 per cent of practices have 'animals' on a belt, please do not trust them, the old days are over, they are out for money, they employ young clown vets and 'nurses', and they collude with 'insurance' companies, please be aware.
  • golden raygolden ray Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    How about cooking white fish boiled in a pan.. and sometimes chicken prepared in the same way.. just a suggestion as my five year old cat is also a fussy eater but loves the type of food I mentioned, I think all cats do. She still eats cat food but doesn't enjoy it that much... I always make sure to give her biscuits and enjoys when I watch her eat, I suppose companionship is important too.. sprinkling crunchies on top of their meals makes it more delicious...when I eat sardines and tuna I share with her but never give a cat chocolate it could kill them, vanilla ice cream is best... my sophie loves dairy spray cream and also a bit of cheese.
    After the age of eight it's advisable to take them for a check-up every year to make sure they're in good health and it's a well known fact that thanks to vets, cats are living longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention my cat has no teeth,,,,when we got him from the cat rescue he only had 3 left however 3 months ago he had to have the rest taken out,,,although he eats cat food and biscuits fine. i might try him with ice cream and fish (not together),,,,but he struggles with chicken cus he cant chew it properly lol.

He seems fine in himself but its frustarting when i buy 4 different types of cat food and he sniffs it and turns away from it and meows constantly as if he is starving:confused:
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read your post and if it was me I would say take him to the vet better to be safe than sorry, I know from personal experience that it prolonged my cat's life albeit for a few short months my Charlie was only four and had a heart condition that we were not aware of the vets picked up on it when we took him in because he was off his food and not being himself, they were able to treat him and refer him for the care he needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem with my cat and the poor little boy is only 10 months old.

The problem was his mouth, it was just too sore to eat, he would also sniff at his food and want to eat but just couldnt bear to put the food in his mouth. He had stomatic gingivitis where his body was rejecting any plague and as well as the red sore gums, he had ulcers on the roof of his mouth. He has had treatment from the vet and the gums are now a lot pinker but may end up having his teeth removed.

Your cat has already had most of his teeth removed, and cats cope very well without their teeth and this should not affect his eating.

Do take your cat to the vet and get his mouth checked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think he's just being a naughty boy,,,,he's started eating a certain flavour of food but not the rest out of the box, so i dont think there is anything wrong with him he's just having us on,,,,,what advice has anyone got for a fussy cat whose owners (me) has spoilt him and now wont eat if he doesnt like the food we give him.
    I can always tell if he's not well and thats when he stops playing with his orange plastic bottle top. Of all the toys ive bought him and he plays with a bottle top:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My female cat is really fussy, all she will eat is dreamies biscuits, tuna and ham, she will not touch cat food, and if i dont give her the biscuits she has a diva moment and wont come near me..

But i always say if a cats hungry they will eat anything, but might be worth a trip to vets
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Take him to the vets as soon as possible. Cats eat anything if they are hungry. Obstructions, ulcers often make eating a painful experience.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Take him to the vets as soon as possible. Cats eat anything if they are hungry. Obstructions, ulcers often make eating a painful experience.

But the cat is eating.... just not everything the OP is offering. He's eating biscuits and certain flavours of wet food. All my cats are fussy eaters and I can relate to the poster who says her cat will only eat dreamies and tuna. I have a cat like that. My other 2 are very specific about what they will and won't eat but at least they eat healthy cat options (dreamies and tuna are supposed to be just treats). They also go off food periodically, normally when I've just bulk-bought a certain brand. :)

I'm not sure about cats eating anything if they're hungry. I tried that with my Tabitha when she was little and being very fussy but she always won the battle of wills between us and I always relented to go out and get the food she wanted (normally tinned tuna). I think a cat would need to be literally starving to eat just anything and I wouldn't let any of my cats get to that point.