Cooked Pigs Trotters

sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

We have 2 Labs 1 is nearly 10 and his son is 6 1/2 , and I like to try and find different treats for them, I have recently got them cows ear chews and deers ears, just like pigs ears but different, anyway I also ordered pigs trotters looks like they are crunchy and cooked like the ears are, anyway OH has gone mad saying we cant give them them as they will splinter as they have bones in them and will cause internal damage as dog guts are not as strong as in the old days, and will end up with large vet bills, as you see these sort of big cooked bones for sale I always thought the younger one would love a good bone to chew on, so thought these trotters would be ok.

Any advice.

Comments

• missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trotters are tasty. The bones are a bit different. More like a knuckle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Hmm. You are not meant to give them cooked bones of any kind, for the reasons you oh has said. Can you not get raw ones? Or go to a pet shop and get bones especially for dogs?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would feed them cooked, raw should be OK though.

Not something mine will ever experience though sadly as raw meat is something I cannot cope with feeding, luckily they like cooked meats and gravy.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The are cooked just like pigs ears crispy that why I thought they would be ok,

Anyway gave them 1 last night the younger dog crunched and chewed the outer layer, then dad crunched hes way through the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    The are cooked just like pigs ears crispy that why I thought they would be ok,

Anyway gave them 1 last night the younger dog crunched and chewed the outer layer, then dad crunched hes way through the rest.

Yes but if they have bone in them you run the risk of splinters causing internal damage. Was it just the trotter of a portion of the leg too?