Options

gerainiums

Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
Forum Member
hope there are some gardeners on here to advise me/every year i plant gerainiums they always look fantastic however this year not 1 flower,the leaves look fine there is just no flowers can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I presume that you mean Pelargoniums to be pedantic! I plant my old cuttings from previous years plants and they are all doing fine in grey and gloomy Cheshire. Poor soil? disease? Any chance you could link to a photo?

Fertiliser generally increases the foliage not the flowering on these plants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    I presume that you mean Pelargoniums to be pedantic! I plant my old cuttings from previous years plants and they are all doing fine in grey and gloomy Cheshire. Poor soil? disease? Any chance you could link to a photo?

Fertiliser generally increases the foliage not the flowering on these plants.

hi yes i have been planting them in pots for the past 2 years and they have been great, i use miarcle grow once a week,and water them inbetween cant understand why its different this year ,i cant send a photo as i have no idea how to do this,i havent done anything different i planted them in may as usual.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they cuttings from older stock ? I find cuttings are a waste of time. They never come as good of the original plants.
    Perhaps just been poor stock. Where did you buy them from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Are they cuttings from older stock ? I find cuttings are a waste of time. They never come as good of the original plants.
    Perhaps just been poor stock. Where did you buy them from?

morrisions
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    morrisions

I don't know much about their stuff TBH but should be ok. Geraniums , or at least mine like a bit of neglect. :D
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    hope there are some gardeners on here to advise me/every year i plant gerainiums they always look fantastic however this year not 1 flower,the leaves look fine there is just no flowers can anyone help?

The Geraniums in my gardens here in Cheshire have only just started to flower;..and by the looks of things the blooms may well be enormous. :)

Everything that grows (in my gardens at least) seems to be totally confused this year;…it must be something to do with the very long, mild and wet winter we had.

I reckon the poor bewildered flora have all had their biological clocks knocked well and truly out of kilter. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    The Geraniums in my gardens here in Cheshire have only just started to flower;..and by the looks of things the blooms may well be enormous. :)

Everything that grows (in my gardens at least) seems to be totally confused this year;…it must be something to do with the very long, mild and wet winter we had.

I reckon the poor bewildered flora have all had their biological clocks knocked well and truly out of kilter. :(

got my 1st buds coming through must be what you are saying in reguard of weather conditions.While im here can you tell me when daffodil/tulip blubs will be available
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got some for my customers from Morrisons and they seem to be doing well. This does seem to be a mixed up year. Some plants/shrubs are up to a month late while others seem to have caught up. We haven't had much rain in the NE so the ground is rock hard clay.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    My peppers aren't so much confused as despondent. A couple of them are now beginning to flower but most have stopped growing. They are outside on the patio rather than a greenhouse but it's south facing and I've not had a problem in previous years. Still at least that makes sense given the poor summer so far.

More disturbing my rhubarb is a bit lacklustre. A lot of the stalks are thin and production has slowed down. It's normally full steam ahead until the middle of August. Seems a bit odd as I'd have thought rhubarb would have appreciated a cooler, wetter summer but we did only have a couple of frosty mornings over winter so maybe that's the problem.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    My peppers aren't so much confused as despondent. A couple of them are now beginning to flower but most have stopped growing. They are outside on the patio rather than a greenhouse but it's south facing and I've not had a problem in previous years. Still at least that makes sense given the poor summer so far.

More disturbing my rhubarb is a bit lacklustre. A lot of the stalks are thin and production has slowed down. It's normally full steam ahead until the middle of August. Seems a bit odd as I'd have thought rhubarb would have appreciated a cooler, wetter summer but we did only have a couple of frosty mornings over winter so maybe that's the problem.

‘Lacklustre Rhubarb’,…’despondent Peppers’,…add to that list my ‘failing Fuschias’;

…what’s going on? :)