Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the news I was hoping for, but at least we'll finally get to see the whole story in a watchable format. At least it will be better than that 'Jackanory' telesnaps effort from a few years ago.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pants. I really hoped they had found that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While this is good news, I still hope they somehow find an actual copy of the episode.

Seriously, it's just about one of the most important episodes in the show's history.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the regeneration be animated or will they cut from the animation to the footage of the regeneration that still exists?

I really hope they DON'T animate the regeneration. I'd like them to cut from animation to existing footage if poss. I wouldn't like to see an animated version of the change from doc 1 to doc 2. It would ruin my enjoyment a great deal.

Really pleased that I will get to see episodes 1-3 at last. I've seen bits of this story before. Love the cybermen voices.

I've got the Tenth Planet on Audio CD, and it remains one of my all time favourite Doctor Who Audios. That, and The Invasion, which I've also got on CD. This is the soundtrack, and not someone from the programme reading the book of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    While this is good news, I still hope they somehow find an actual copy of the episode.

Seriously, it's just about one of the most important episodes in the show's history.

Yes. Without this episode being shown on TV back in October 1966, we wouldn't have Matt Smith's Doctor now. Not to mention the other Doctors. Things would have been very different.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Will the regeneration be animated or will they cut from the animation to the footage of the regeneration that still exists?

I really hope they DON'T animate the regeneration. I'd like them to cut from animation to existing footage if poss. I wouldn't like to see an animated version of the change from doc 1 to doc 2. It would ruin my enjoyment a great deal.

Really pleased that I will get to see episodes 1-3 at last. I've seen bits of this story before. Love the cybermen voices.

I've got the Tenth Planet on Audio CD, and it remains one of my all time favourite Doctor Who Audios. That, and The Invasion, which I've also got on CD. This is the soundtrack, and not someone from the programme reading the book of it.

I think it's inconceivable that they wouldn't include the original footage of the regeneration, but I guess they might also animate it and give people a choice of which to watch.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does seem the best option. A totally animated version will be much smoother and flowing but the original is the original.

Thanks to Blue Peter that we have it.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I think it's inconceivable that they wouldn't include the original footage of the regeneration, but I guess they might also animate it and give people a choice of which to watch.

They won't include the actual regeneration as part of Episode 4, that will be pure animation. I expect the reconstructed Episode 4 from the VHS will be a DVD extra.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does seem the best option. A totally animated version will be much smoother and flowing but the original is the original.

Thanks to Blue Peter that we have it.

The flip-side is that it is also thanks to Blue Peter the episode is missing... :(
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't include the actual regeneration as part of Episode 4, that will be pure animation. I expect the reconstructed Episode 4 from the VHS will be a DVD extra.

What makes you think they won't include it as part of episode 4? I would have thought it's just too important not to at least have as an option. The first comments on a couple of the news stories I've seen about the animation have been asking whether they'll use the original.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They will almost certainly have both options. They will animate it but with the option of switching to the original footage for that scene in the extras. They've done similar before and it's easy to do.

This is great news. In a recent DWM the animation studio said they would like to animate a story with more missing episodes, so I expect Marco Polo next :D :P
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flip-side is that it is also thanks to Blue Peter the episode is missing... :(

Interesting? The documentary I saw seemed to sugest that it was just luck that Blue Peter had a producer who had a sense of history and archived stuff. For much of doctor who history there was no sense that the show would be seen more than once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it just the regeneration scene that survives from episode 4? Do the end credits survive in full? I've been meaning to ask that on here for a few months, but forgot about it.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just the regeneration scene that survives from episode 4? Do the end credits survive in full? I've been meaning to ask that on here for a few months, but forgot about it.

Yep :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmXoHKzp4Lc

I actually still think it's brilliant. So simple but so effective. And convincing too.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a myth blue peter lost tenth planet 4 the episode they lost was daleks masterplan 4