Why has JLS's new album bombed?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hold Me Down' is the obvious second single.
    The rest of the album is largely poor however in quality..

they've got a Christmas single out next, a cover of Snow Patrol - Run

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2227694/Christmas-comes-early-JLS-fans-join-band-shoot-festive-single.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »

Is there version online anywhere? I'd be interested to hear it, no doubt it'll be better then their original material of late, but I love both the original & Leona's cover of this so it'll be tough for them to match.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member

Totally agree! It's the song that could 'save' this era...maybe Heartrock as the third single (I can see Capital playing it).
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

God help us :yawn: I must buy some earplugs this weekend. Between that and Steps' Christmas album I don't think I'll be able to cope without them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just given the album a listen, I agree 'Hold Me Down' is a very good song, definitely the most obvious choice.

There's only about 5 good songs on the whole album (plus the deluxe tracks) though imo. Maybe they should take a bit longer to get the right songs for their albums.
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    Just given the album a listen, I agree 'Hold Me Down' is a very good song, definitely the most obvious choice.

There's only about 5 good songs on the whole album (plus the deluxe tracks) though imo. Maybe they should take a bit longer to get the right songs for their albums.

Care to share the ones you like:)?
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh my god. this has to be a joke.
    there management want shooting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have just lost interest in them and the quality of their music has been on a downward spiral for a while now. They also always seem ti have a single out and rush out albums too quickly resulting in poor material.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    They're terrible...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    oh my god. this has to be a joke.
    there management want shooting.

Didn't Leona cover that song once?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Because they’re as corny/cheesy/naff take your pick! They look like they’re so in love with themselves especially the short one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I should like to know how a 4TH top 3/top 5 album equates to bombing? And also that Daily Heil article is severely inaccurate - what they were filming for was their Christmas special that's gonna be on Sky1. Next single off Evolution will be 'Give Me Life' which they shot the video for Friday before last.

At least JLS still give a shit about their fans unlike some other boyband I could mention, just cause you lot all go on your hateful preconcieved ideas of what they are/aren't. Not everything is about licking One Direction and The Wanted's arses. People did this to McFly where it was cool to start bashing them and they're still together after nearly 10 years. I'd so love the same to happen with JLS A) because they're honest, hardworking lads who deserve it and B) so all the naysayers can eat a very big slice of humble pie.
  • johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS make generic album after generic album, why has their other albums succeeded should be the real question.

I think they will break up after this album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should like to know how a 4TH top 3/top 5 album equates to bombing? And also that Daily Heil article is severely inaccurate - what they were filming for was their Christmas special that's gonna be on Sky1. Next single off Evolution will be 'Give Me Life' which they shot the video for Friday before last.

At least JLS still give a shit about their fans unlike some other boyband I could mention, just cause you lot all go on your hateful preconcieved ideas of what they are/aren't. Not everything is about licking One Direction and The Wanted's arses. People did this to McFly where it was cool to start bashing them and they're still together after nearly 10 years. I'd so love the same to happen with JLS A) because they're honest, hardworking lads who deserve it and B) so all the naysayers can eat a very big slice of humble pie.

Its bombing because the sales are disappointing and missing out on the top2 is pretty disappointing for a supposedly huge act like JLS
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great post! Can I ask how you know Give Me Life is the next single? It's an okay choice...not the best though :)
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not bombing at ALL.

It may drop like a stone next week. It may sell poorly in total. But this week at least it isn't flopping never mind bombing.

I imagine the reason the OP hasn't returned is because they're slightly embarrassed that they started a thread about someone 'bombing' only for them to be #3 in the midweeks! Oops. I think like a lot of us, wishfull thinking came into play.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    No it's not bombing at ALL.

It may drop like a stone next week. It may sell poorly in total. But this week at least it isn't flopping never mind bombing.

I imagine the reason the OP hasn't returned is because they're slightly embarrassed that they started a thread about someone 'bombing' only for them to be #3 in the midweeks! Oops. I think like a lot of us, wishfull thinking came into play.

These days, when Rihanna can get a #1 album with 9k, a #3 means nothing. If they get 50k or something first week, then it's not a flop, but any less than that, but I'm sorry it is. Leona just scraped over 20k and landed at #3 and I think JLS have more competition than her. Either way it's a crash back down to Earth for them and their fans who were happy to slag down other artists who underperformed. All of JLS' recent singles have underperformed and flopped, none of the singles they released this year have managed to even get into the top 3. So regardless of whether it's a top 3 album or not, it's not looking good for them.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member

Both 1D and TW get criticism...I'd say even more than JLS.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Newtonsaid wrote: »
    Didn't Leona cover that song once?

Yeah she did. Not sure what year it was released though.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All boybands do have a shelf life. Look at Mcfly, they were one of the biggest boybands in the UK yet for the past four years there material has gone no where. JLS are now in the same boat. The Wanted will soon follow and then 1D will, however 1D will last longer because of their massive glodal success.

All music artists do suffer this. Your fans grow up and unless you mature your music with them then they won't stick with you. Madonna got it right as she matured her sound with each album so managed to keep fans as well as gaining new. Although her latter two albums have alienated alot of her fans by going against the trend she set. However she is the example of how to keep a stable fanbase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really arent that good. Theres only so many times the short one whos up his own arse can do a back flip to gain attention. The old bug eyed one is surely due his pension soon.

Tick tock tick tock........
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boybands and girlbands normally repeatedly hit #1 in the singles chart (determined usually by teenagers and youngsters unlike albums which is more representative of all tastes and ages) for 3/4 years but then if they stick around like McFly (last #1 07) /Westlife (before split last #1 06) just to name two then have top ten singles as repeat chart toppers in pop bands is usually a new fresh bands game.
    If they want to have a long career then top ten singles but more importantly albums should be more than enough as it means it can be toured on some scale. That's how a lot of American bands can tour in the UK because they don't set the singles charts alight but have consistent top ten placed albums.

If the boyband time frame is followed most put out a greatest hits and split after roughly 5/6 years usually some even less (Busted 2 years after first release) and JLS have been going for 4 years but it depends on what they want to do although i can't see this album selling well unless it picks up at Christmas time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowyface wrote: »
    Care to share the ones you like:)?

'Hold Me Down', 'Give Me Life', 'Troublemaker' & 'Heartrock'.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brilliant post. JLS love their fans and they work hard. I hope that, they around for a long time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    These days, when Rihanna can get a #1 album with 9k, a #3 means nothing. If they get 50k or something first week, then it's not a flop, but any less than that, but I'm sorry it is. Leona just scraped over 20k and landed at #3 and I think JLS have more competition than her. Either way it's a crash back down to Earth for them and their fans who were happy to slag down other artists who underperformed. All of JLS' recent singles have underperformed and flopped, none of the singles they released this year have managed to even get into the top 3. So regardless of whether it's a top 3 album or not, it's not looking good for them.

How ridiculous...not everything is about cracking America. Comparing One Direction and The Wanted with them is understandable - silly but understandable cause they're all boybands. Comparing them with a solo female artist is like comparing chalk and chddse.

I suggest the people who think JLS are cynical/manufacturex/whattever other insults you choose to throw at them based on what you do or don't know go and hook yourself up with a copy of their film 'Eyes Wide Open'. There's a reason they'll persist and outlive most of today's current crop of pop acts because they formed themselves. They weren't put together, they were all mutual friends through Oritse who then became close friends, brothers almost. And you can't call that 'manufactured', which by the way is an expression that is so 10 years ago it hurts.

McFly still sell tours out very well and at least shift 100,000 albums and like I said they're still here 10 years later. And why? Because they too are genuine mates and regardless of whether or not they return to the same heights of success they had 10 years ago they'll keep going because your fans will always be loyal to you if you're still tight as a unit. And JLS are exactly that - you only need to see their MOBOs acceptance speech from last Saturday to see that.