Options

Week 1 Dances / Training Videos

Comments

• Options
    CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    One of the most difficult dances, the Jive, in week one was crazy by those producers .
    So by their mad progression I would not be surprised to see the AT in week 1 :o

It was indeed crazy - but for the first 6 series, jive was always run out in week 3!! :o:confused:
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    It was indeed crazy - but for the first 6 series, jive was always run out in week 3!! :o:confused:

Correct, remember Alesha doing a very decent job of it (scoring 36 :o)

Still, so far there is no proof yet that the tango or the jive will be performed in week 1 (didn't Susanna have an opening package of jive/tango?).
  • Options
    thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member

Yes and if I recall Louisa Lytton scored a 10 from a week 3 jive a record that still stands as the earliest 10 in strictly history. Sophie should have broken that if the judges marked her Charleston properly
  • Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The three confirmed dances we have so far are all cha-chas, although the same was true of last year - we knew quite a few of the dances before we found out they were deviating from the standard week 1 formula.

TBH I think the jives and tangos in week 1 went down pretty well last year and provided a bit more variety, so I can see them sticking with a similar setup.

As a side note, it looks like they're finally getting around to updating the professionals' profiles - just need new promo pics and the newbies to get their own pages now, and also linking to the thing would be nice: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/3QxDn83kfQ52nlm0YVJrJnv/professional-dancers
  • Options
    Wrenny-24Wrenny-24 Posts: 9,373
    Forum Member
    Mark and Karen first steps up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p026kmbt
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liking Scott and Joanne very much from their training vid! :D
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liking Scott and Joanne very much from their training vid! :D

me too buddy, they seem to get on very well - did you see the short of C4 re Joanne and her dad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    me too buddy, they seem to get on very well - did you see the short of C4 re Joanne and her dad?

No, I didn't bendy, is there a link on here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »

I loved it! Thanks! Hopefully Joanne will become one of my favourite pros - so far so good. ;-)
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cliftons are a great dancing family - keith and judy used to do some great dems back in the day always full of humour - I think Joanne will come over well
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Wrenny-24 wrote: »

I think he's come across really well so far and I don't care if that's because he's getting media/PR trained - it seems genuine his enthusiasm and outlook on the show. It's clear that he is a complete beginner so not as if he's finding it easy in a cocky or show off way. I look forward to seeing what Karen does with him - he'll look mighty fine in the ballroom attire.
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrenny-24 wrote: »

Aww bless him, he is certainly a beginner but hopefully he will improve.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark doesn't look brilliant in his training clip.

But I was more distracted by Kylie's I Was Gonna Cancel playing in the background :D
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes agree. He comes across well. A beginner, but he doesn't look too awkward and seems quite serious about learning and so hopefully he will improve quickly.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really love this stage of the show where no one has left and they're starting out full of energy and confusion :D

Three interesting videos so far, with Scott the most beginnerish, Mark being earnest but really committed and listening well, and Caroline looking like she's just going to take to all this some time very soon.

I know we said this last year too, but after Karen's not-too good start with Nicky (in enjoyment terms) it's lovely to see her in a relaxed and happy training room. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    TeamStevola ‏@TeamStevola

Steve & Ola's first dance is gong to be the SAMBA! Ola is the Queen of Samba, so we can't wait... It's going to be great!

:o:o:o The Samba for a first dance!!!!!! That's a baptism of fire! Are they thinking Steve isn't going to go far so they'll get Ola's favourite dance in early?
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Steve & Ola's first dance is gong to be the SAMBA! Ola is the Queen of Samba, so we can't wait... It's going to be great!

:o:o:o The Samba for a first dance!!!!!! That's a baptism of fire! Are they thinking Steve isn't going to go far so they'll get Ola's favourite dance in early?

Samba!? Such a random choice but it could fair him good if he's the only one dancing it if Ola creates a feel good routine :cool:
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samba!? Such a random choice but it could fair him good if he's the only one dancing it if Ola creates a feel good routine :cool:

Samba is notoriously difficult for a beginner or novice -even for someone that has danced a while. Unfortunate that Steve and Ola have this in their first week of the live shows but I expect that James will also be about to help. So many changes of rhythm and bounce action to contend with. At least they have longer than the usual week, to work on it. Hope all goes well for them.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    They're going a bit mental again this year, then?!

Reminds me of the French DWTS where people get Pasos and Quicksteps in Week 1.
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Samba!!! Gosh that's difficult for a first dance. Still, at least it will give him an early chance to show his upbeat smiley personality.

Yes, I agree, producers are probably expecting an early exit. :( Hope they're wrong. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're going a bit mental again this year, then?!

Reminds me of the French DWTS where people get Pasos and Quicksteps in Week 1.

Quickstep wouldn't be too much of a problem, as assuming you can have a reasonable hold/frame, you can keep it as basic as you like. Sometimes this may be better..."it ain't what you do but the way that you do it". You can add a few crowd pleasers that are not hard to do, and add more difficult groups if the celeb is up to it.
    I would definitely not want to attempt Paso in my first week. Deceptively difficult to do well and look good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve is massively into Latin American culture (think he might actually speak Spanish) and emphasised wanting to learn the Latin dances the most. Maybe they thought they'd grant him what he wished for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve is massively into Latin American culture (think he might actually speak Spanish) and emphasised wanting to learn the Latin dances the most. Maybe they thought they'd grant him what he wished for.

That would be typical of the BBC is that is the case, as Samba as far as I am aware originates from Brazil, and they speak Portuguese there !....sure he will have great tuition from Ola, so will be fine, I'm sure.
    Is there training footage of this anywhere, do you know ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    That would be typical of the BBC is that is the case, as Samba as far as I am aware originates from Brazil, and they speak Portuguese there !....sure he will have great tuition from Ola, so will be fine, I'm sure.
    Is there training footage of this anywhere, do you know ?

No, just the tweet on their Twitter page.