Options

Not recording? Bug? Crash?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
Just 6 days into owning my Humax 9200T I seem to have had my first real problem with the machine.. I don't know if this is a common problem or not, so I apologise if this is an old story.

Today, after the machine had been switched from 'standby' to 'on' for about two hours I went to pause live TV and the transmission didn't pause. I hit the stop button and no progress bar appeared. I hit the playlist button to see if machine could see the HD but nothing happened. The guide still worked, all the channels still worked, PIP still worked (so it didn't think it was still recording).

On hitting the Menu button I saw that the "record" option was completely missing from the main menu.. so I couldn't check the HD from there, or see recorded programmes. All the other main menu options were present and correct except the record. It was as if the unit couldn't see the HD, I guess.

I put the machine back into standby for 10 seconds and then switched it back on (ie I didn't do a hard reboot, or full power-off) and the unit has been fine since.

Has anyone else had this? Are there any known causes or is it just "one of those things"? It's frustrating because to all intents and purposes the machine seemed fine and I just assumed it was caching tv as I watched, but it wasn't, so when I came to need it it was too late.

I'm on s/w 1.00.06, loader a4.08

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the machine started up the device didnt see a hard disk in time during the boot up. The machine is just a ultra STB when you start it without a hard disk and all hard disk related options are disabled including menu related items.

If the machine cant see the hard drive then its probably because a cable connecting it to the motherboard is loose at one of the ends, the disk is on the way out, the controller on the motherboard is a bit iffy etc. The fact that the hardware seems to be OK now is a good sign but if it happens again I would get it fixed or swapped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    If it happens again, call Humax - they are likely to tell you to reset using the "defaults" option in the Menu. They may also suggest you remove the lid (after power off), disconnect then reconnect the hard drive, the re-assemble and power back on (using switch at back of Hummy, not the standby button on the front).

This problem has been known to show up if the HDD cable is a bit loose.

EDIT - Marc got there first with response again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    thanks for the lightning fast response(s) - makes a lot of sense.. hopefully a cable rather than a dud disk already!

I hate intermittent problems, I'll be keeping a close eye on it and I'll report back if anything develops... grr..

cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swi wrote:
    thanks for the lightning fast response(s) - makes a lot of sense.. hopefully a cable rather than a dud disk already!

I hate intermittent problems, I'll be keeping a close eye on it and I'll report back if anything develops... grr..

cheers

Nah I dont like intermittent problems either. If this is what it becomes then you'll probably need to get it swapped. Having said that some people are living with certain problems , like minutes to boot up, because there is never a convenient time to be without the PVR - especially when it is the only source of freeview channels on your TV!