Things you do every Christmas that nobody appreciates?

Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe appreciates is the wrong choice of word, but are there any routines or special things you do for the festive period that you wouldn't/couldn't be without, but aren't popular with the rest of the household?

Here, every christmas morning i make sure there is a lovely selection of Stollen, christmas cake and Mince pies sitting out ready to be munched. Nobody but myself ever chooses to partake in any though, but for me those are essential christmas fare.

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the one that gets up early to walk the dog, allowing everyone else to have extra time in bed to recover from the night before :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make a trifle. Nobody in the house likes trifle but me though. So then I have to eat it all myself :o

Christmas isn't Christmas without a trifle
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resist from killing a close family member....
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make a trifle. Nobody in the house likes trifle but me though. So then I have to eat it all myself :o

Christmas isn't Christmas without a trifle

We have trifle every year even tho no-one likes it:confused::D
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I do all the present shopping, the food shopping, the dinner and the planning. I get no thanks.......the kids think Santa bought the presents and I had nothing to do with it and everyone pigs out on the food but never say thanks....They all just expect
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have trifle every year even tho no-one likes it:confused::D

Send it to me. I'll eat it
  • silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Each year I spend a small fortune on presents, and true to form I either get nothing or a very cheap present in return. This year I went out of my way to get my niece something she really wanted, and I know for a fact shes got me something I dont need. She dosent really think about what she gets people though in general.
    Its my own fault of course, I never learn. Ill prob never get any. good presents but Im grateful at least I do get some. Ive just spent £60 on food for my mum but doubtless Ill get a book token in return[!].
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago when we were living in Scotland, and I was a teenager on the Dole (hey, it was the 80s) I used to get the bus into town, buy a turkey in Marks and bring it home.

No one ever said "thanks" and no one ever paid me for the turkey.

All right I was told to go for the turkey, but y'know a turkey ain't cheap and the Dole wasn't much money in them days :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I always decorate my presents with loads of ribbons and bows and things, and I always put on a little tree cracker on each present, yet no one seems to give a shit about them, I don't think they even notice them. :( I still do it though in the hopes people will actually care one day.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    I always decorate my presents with loads of ribbons and bows and things, and I always put on a little tree cracker on each present, yet no one seems to give a shit about them, I don't think they even notice them. :( I still do it though in the hopes people will actually care one day.

I do something similar. I make little Christmas tree tags with the person's name on it so it's all personalised and only once in the last 3 years I've done it has somebody commented on it. I keep thinking I'm going to stop doing it but then I feel like it's missing that little extra touch, even though, like you, I think they don't even notice I've done anything special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I do something similar. I make little Christmas tree tags with the person's name on it so it's all personalised and only once in the last 3 years I've done it has somebody commented on it. I keep thinking I'm going to stop doing it but then I feel like it's missing that little extra touch, even though, like you, I think they don't even notice I've done anything special.

We'll have to send each other a present! :D
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll have to send each other a present! :D

:D That sounds like a plan!
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »

I have a friend who always wraps her gifts really prettily and adorns them with decorations etc. I think it's lovely and I always appreciate the effort she makes. :)

I usually make a right hash of just wrapping a gift in paper, so I try to find a nice gift box or bag instead, and will pad it out with colourful tissue and shredded paper. That's the most my efforts run to really :o
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    turn up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a shit outside when the neighbours are throwing snowballs.
  • RoundhousekickRoundhousekick Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Every Christmas I put on a bit of Elvis tunes.

I never get a single thanks.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum makes me watch Eastenders :(
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    My mum makes me watch Eastenders :(
    That's awful. You win.

</thread>
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy the entire families Christmas presents and wrap them all myself and write all the cards / post them. I buy all the food and drink for the festivities. But I dont get any thanks from my husband. He just moans when we have run out of Twiglets.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every year, I spend ages choosing the dogs presents and wrap them all up to give to them.
    Do they bother getting me anything in return? Not one buggering thing. :(
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do everything & just get moaned at if i've forgotten something or we run out of an item.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »
    Every year, I spend ages choosing the dogs presents and wrap them all up to give to them.
    Do they bother getting me anything in return? Not one buggering thing. :(

:eek::eek: Really.

I also buy and wrap the dogs pressies (they have 3 each this year). I even write out a gift tag :o But they do return the favour and give their dad their pocket money. He then buys the pressie from them to me :p

I know .... I should be sectioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    :eek::eek: Really.

I also buy and wrap the dogs pressies (they have 3 each this year). I even write out a gift tag :o But they do return the favour and give their dad their pocket money. He then buys the pressie from them to me :p

I know .... I should be sectioned.

I get them cards as well. :o
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH buys presents for his nieces and nephews although we never even get a Christmas card back nevermind a present. Really, really annoys me that we're wasting money but my OH won't stop although he has cut it down to a fiver for a tin of chocolate but I still think we may as well chuck the money down the loo. I'd rather donate the money to charity who would be grateful and send them a card saying what we've done. Ideally with no stamp. Grrrrr..bah humbug! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I send my sister, her husband and their two kids cards every year. I never get one back. She hasn't spoken to me in over 12 years but I live in hope.