Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CL final is at Wembley again in 2013. That should be one of the King Kenny goals after qualification this coming season. I'll predict we'll win 1-0 with a Gerrard screamer , to clinch a historic quadruple:)
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I like the 3rd kit... but the problem is it just isn't Liverpool FC. Why the hell have they included sky blue?!

It's supposed to be a homage to our original kit from 1892 which was blue and white. The only annoying thing being those were Everton shirts left behind when they refused Houlding's rent increase.

Still you have to embrace history, don't you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see the new shirt makers incorporate some kind of modern liverbird into the shirt. A big stylised effort offset on the shirt and something that makes a statement and sets us apart in shirt design.

Something along these lines.

http://www.kopbanners.org/liverbanner.html

Although, it'd be tricky to pull off without looking all NFL and gimmicky I suppose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim Boardman on Twitter says Sylvain Marveaux had a medical today and will sign on a free shortly.
    There's also a link to a profile of the player talking about his dodgy ham strings and sweet left foot.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a homage to our original kit from 1892 which was blue and white. The only annoying thing being those were Everton shirts left behind when they refused Houlding's rent increase.

I'm all for embracing history. I'm just pleased it's only our 3rd kit and won't be worn very often.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Jim Boardman on Twitter says Sylvain Marveaux had a medical today and will sign on a free shortly.
    There's also a link to a profile of the player talking about his dodgy ham strings and sweet left foot.

Was just about to post about this... so I will :)

Who the hell is Sylvan Marveaux? Another bloody midfield player!!! Either Kenny is planning on a complete clear-out of last season's midfield or is planning on a unique 1-8-1 formation for next season!
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Observations.

We start at home to Sunderland, followed by a trip to Arsenal? Could have been worse, although the Gunners usually start stronger than they finish.

Man United at home in October and away in late Winter, as usual.

Pointless observation: We play Man United and Everton after each other both times. Pointless obersvation because there's also a two-week gap in between both (Internationals/FA Cup, presumably).

We finish with Norwich away, Cheslea at home (as 2009/10) and Swansea away.

Christmas is the best news: Villa away, Wigan away, Blackburn at home (Boxing Day), Newcastle at home (NYE), Stoke at home. Hopefully the only game we come close to dropping points in will be Man City away on January 2nd.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    In other news, Jonathan Woodgate, John Carew, Benjani, Zoltan Gera, and Matthew Upson have been released and would be available for free this summer. Any of them useful as squad players, would you think?

The market for Woodgate would be competitive and he'd only be offered a pay-as-you-play though, presumably.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    In other news, Jonathan Woodgate, John Carew, Benjani, Zoltan Gera, and Matthew Upson have been released and would be available for free this summer. Any of them useful as squad players, would you think?

The market for Woodgate would be competitive and he'd only be offered a pay-as-you-play though, presumably.

I'd take a chance on Gera and Carew, provided they didn't cost too much in wages, possibly Upson too.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cristian Zapata of Udinese is being strongly linked today. I know nothing of him but they are a team that had a particularly good season and I assume not conceding silly goals was part of it.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Observations.

We start at home to Sunderland, followed by a trip to Arsenal? Could have been worse, although the Gunners usually start stronger than they finish.

Man United at home in October and away in late Winter, as usual.

Pointless observation: We play Man United and Everton after each other both times. Pointless obersvation because there's also a two-week gap in between both (Internationals/FA Cup, presumably).

We finish with Norwich away, Cheslea at home (as 2009/10) and Swansea away.

Christmas is the best news: Villa away, Wigan away, Blackburn at home (Boxing Day), Newcastle at home (NYE), Stoke at home. Hopefully the only game we come close to dropping points in will be Man City away on January 2nd.

Away again on the last day of the season about time we had a hom,e game on the last day.:mad:

Not a bad start though sooner Sunderland than a promoted team on the first day.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't really complain with Sunderland at home for the opener - of course they are capable of an upset ( who isn't ? ) but as long as we are fit and ready it's a game we should win. Probably as good a time to go the Emirates as any , they will have CL qualifiers to concentrate on.

Looking further ahead , the Utd and Everton games could be affected by the internationals with players on long trips and possible injuries but they might be affected just as much.

Let's hope it's another 'league decider' against Chelsea and Stevie once again provides the assist for the winning goal !!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Away again on the last day of the season about time we had a hom,e game on the last day.:mad:
    To be fair we're at home to start, on Boxing Day and on New Years. Everton have to have something ;)
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could have been an "easier" opener but can't complain - should have known Man Utd would have got West Brom or QPR or Swansea or something, we've all been laughing about it at work this morning. Henderson could get stuck in against his old club straight away.

Another Arsenal game early in the season, we did alright against them last season so bring it on. I feel sorry for them a bit though, their first 3 games are Newcastle, Liverpool and Man Utd :eek:

Always exciting getting the fixture list, especially in a season with no World Cup/Euros.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take a chance on Gera and Carew, provided they didn't cost too much in wages, possibly Upson too.

I'm with that. Carew could be a great option should we actually start slinging high balls into the box. I'd rather see 70 mins of that than 70 mins of trying to thread the eye of a needle after we run out of puff and guile when the bus is parked.

Also, Soto is looking to add a year's extension

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13801498.stm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a dream Raul Meireles left :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I'd like to see the new shirt makers incorporate some kind of modern liverbird into the shirt. A big stylised effort offset on the shirt and something that makes a statement and sets us apart in shirt design.

Something along these lines.

http://www.kopbanners.org/liverbanner.html

Although, it'd be tricky to pull off without looking all NFL and gimmicky I suppose.

Plus, it's 120 years of Liverpool FC. I'd like to see a retro kit - red/white/red - away a classic 70s white/black/white and a third kit with yellow/yellow/yellow :D
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »

I am not happy over us having blue on a kit - since a certain man walked into Anfield in 1960 that has been a complete no no and those making decisions should have both known and respected that.

Almost every other club have worn every colour in a kit of some sort over the years (remember MUFC in a sort of blue and white stripes) but we have stuck to our guns - no blue on a Liverpool kit - not any more it seems, what a shame. (just a thought while I am at it - have EFC ever had red on one of their kits? - I cannot recall them doing so tbh)

Its prob not that important but rather than being a nod to embracing history in my eyes it is a nod to going against LFC history cos LFC history imo is Shankly. It was he who brought the all red kit in and everything LFC is today is down to him - I can say with absolute certanty he would not have liked blue on a Liverpool kit.

I always regarded the issue as one of the absolute unnegotiables of LFC like not playing football on April 15th - but it seems I was wrong - and btw the April 15th matter is far far more important and if that was ever gone against there really would be trouble
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Just realised I made my 3,000th post some point recently... Probably should have noticed!

Anyways - Home game to start the season. Very happy with that - I don't care who it is, but it's always good to start at home. If we end up getting a win at Arsenal after it that's a huge start to the season!
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all! I frequent other fora (?) here and happened upon this thread. Apologies for the brain dump coming up but I'm making up for lost time!

As a brief intro, I've been a Reds fan for 34 years and therefore have sampled the efficient assassins of the 70s/early 80s, the exhilaration mixed with trauma of the mid/late 80s, the hollow 90s and the roller-coaster years thereafter.

I smell a revival, I really do. Wasn't convinced by Kenny prior to his re-appointment because of his odd signings in his first spell and his uninspiring management spells elsewhere. I should have remembered what he went through in that first spell and trusted that his hunger and passion for the club would prevail, as it has.

We should be bolstering our squad with proven Premier League performers, so I'd like to see Adam, Dann, N'Zogbia and Enrique brought in. No more gambles on young players who look good when the sun shines (although I do trust our current scouting setup to do a better job than previous incarnations, with hopefully Kenny's input).

The kids coming through look very promising. Flanagan's a real plus, especially so soon after Kelly emerged. Rafa must've missed them in his Observer's Book of Full Backs!

I really hope the youth players come through and are given a chance - Sterling looks a few stone short of a revelation.

The pass and move philosophy's returned and so has my appetite - if we can break back into the top four, it could be a catalyst for a real resurgence. Being out of the Europa League is a real blessing in disguise in helping achieve that.

Gone is the over-reliance on Stevie G and the departed Torres - we look more of a team and players who previously looked like they were on Death Row are playing with purpose, belief and with a smile on their faces.

For those who salivate over Barcelona, revisit the 13th of April 1988 and start to dream - it may look a long way away but it's something to aspire to.

The Sloth
  • Options
    edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midfielder Sylvain Marveaux will not play for Liverpool next season after the Rennes player failed a medical with the Reds.

Source BBC Sport Gossip
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marveaux failed a medical apparantly. Christ, even Alberto Aquilani passed a medical, and he came here injured!

Excited about the Zapata links. He's a good defender. Bring him in, as well as Mata, Wickham and Cissokho and we've got ourselves a pretty bloody good squad.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

Carew, Gera and Upson are all average and not good enough for liverpool.

Why sign players who are no better then what we already have?

Marveaux claims no medical happened. Gotta go find another wide player now.
    Newcastle United have beaten Liverpool to the signing of French midfielder Sylvain Marveaux.

The 25-year-old had appeared on course to sign for the Anfield club, on a Bosman transfer.

But now Newcastle have nipped in to poach Marveaux and offer him a five-year deal which he has accepted.

The left sided midfielder has been Tyneside to finalise the move, which will shock Liverpool who had presumed they had his signature in the bag.

Newcastle looked at Marveaux earlier in the year, but it was presumed they had given up when Liverpool made their move - but that was clearly not the case.

Marveaux is now set to become Newcastle's third signing of the summer, and he is the third French-born player to sign following on from Yohan Cabaye and Demba Ba.

He will officially join Newcastle on July 1st.
    Delight

"It's a great coup to have signed Sylvain, who has received interest from a number of other clubs," said Toon chief Alan Pardew.

"He may not be well known to many of our fans but he is a real talent and a player we have been keeping an eye on for some time.

"It's been a good couple of days for us on the transfer front."

Reports emerged on Friday that Marveaux had failed his medical at Anfield, but he confirmed this was not the case.

"I do not want to go into details, but if I did not sign in Liverpool, because there was a contractual disagreement between the parties Thursday night," he confirmed to L'Equipe.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6994869,00.html
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Carew, Gera and Upson are all average and not good enough for liverpool.

Why sign players who are no better then what we already have?

Because you can't have world-class players in every position. Look at United, the likes of O'Shea, Wes Brown and so on, are hardly world-beaters, but they have plenty of winners medals.

You need good players in the squad who can come in and do a job, even if they're not first choice.

Those players would add some quality into the side that we're lacking.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Because you can't have world-class players in every position. Look at United, the likes of O'Shea, Wes Brown and so on, are hardly world-beaters, but they have plenty of winners medals.

You need good players in the squad who can come in and do a job, even if they're not first choice.

Those players would add some quality into the side that we're lacking.

John Carew is well past it! Gera adds nothing we dont already have and Upson has just come off a shocking season. His personal performances were terrible for west ham!

None of these players are good enough.
This discussion has been closed.