Potholes!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Potholes are becoming an epidemic plague on UK roads!

I'm using more fuel slaloming in and out of them these days, and the rate that salt grit is being spread around isn't going to help things either.

Tempted to fill some very local ones in myself.

Comments

• JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I hit one the other week and then whined and bitched about it on here.

Took the car to a garage to assess the damage, regarding the clonking noise, and it transpired that I had no oil the engine.

So how silly do I feel.

But on the up side, I'm over it now.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The roads are in a dreaful state.

The edges of a lot of narrow, rural roads are so potholed that they're effectively single lane as everyone has to drive down the middle. Even quite main routes have some really massive ones. My particular favourite is on the southbound side of the A275, a few miles north of Lewes. It's about a foot out from the kerb, on a bend with double white lines. To avoid it, you have to get your nearside wheels really close to the kerb, or take the bend slightly over the double white lines.

It's not just potholes, either. There's a bit of A22 where the surface undulates like a bloody switchback and some stretches have developed a novel rippled surface that makes it sound like you've got a flat tyre.

It's very distracting, too. I find I'm concentrating on the traffic far less than I would like because I'm busy looking out for the next tank-trap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shocker, even the M5 southbound has some monsters in it now!

I'm not taking my bag of black top up there though!
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just waiting for the first council to be prosecuted for the death of a motorcyclist. Your front wheel goes into one of those on a corner and you are off the bike.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    It's a shocker, even the M5 southbound has some monsters in it now!

I'm not taking my bag of black top up there though!

There's a huge pothole on the sliproad from the M4 westbound to the M5 southbound. I have to mentally prepare myself to avoid it each morning.
  • wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be lots of tarmac used to create road-humps. Why not use it to fill in the bloody pot-holes?:mad:
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    I am just waiting for the first council to be prosecuted for the death of a motorcyclist. Your front wheel goes into one of those on a corner and you are off the bike.

One cyclist lost his life due to a pot-hole:

http://road.cc/content/news/21110-coroner-says-death-cyclist-killed-he-avoided-pothole-accidental

The roads have become more dangerous because of them. It is dangerous to make a driver have to spend a significant amount of concentration watching out for pot-holes rather than what's going on in front of you.

Where is the road-tax being spent? Why the stupid £30 road tax rate for oil burners?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More to the point, why on earth is this country even considering spending £30bn+ on ONE new railway line that goes a bit quick, when the existing infrastructure is literally falling to bits?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »

http://road.cc/content/news/21110-coroner-says-death-cyclist-killed-he-avoided-pothole-accidental

The roads have become more dangerous because of them. It is dangerous to make a driver have to spend a significant amount of concentration watching out for pot-holes rather than what's going on in front of you.

Where is the road-tax being spent? Why the stupid £30 road tax rate for oil burners?

It goes into the general pot, with all the other taxes (apparently)
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's vehicle excise duty ands it's being spent in the same places that the duty of alcohol and tobacco etc is spent.
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point, why on earth is this country even considering spending £30bn+ on ONE new railway line that goes a bit quick, when the existing infrastructure is literally falling to bits?

A very good question!
    Forum Member

The existing infrastructure is falling to bits because it is being used to absolute capacity. Hence the need to build extra capacity.
    Maybe they should never have build all those motorways in the UK, when there were perfectly good A-roads they could have just resurfaced?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very good question!

If our current roads and railways were in tip top condition, and the government were then going ahead to build a new high speed line, then fair enough; but, to put such a huge investment into something that is going to benefit a relatively small proportion of society when the majority of society are having to put up with sub-standard infrastructure simply does not make sense!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The existing infrastructure is falling to bits because it is being used to absolute capacity. Hence the need to build extra capacity.
    Maybe they should never have build all those motorways in the UK, when there were perfectly good A-roads they could have just resurfaced?

Fair point, but HS2 isn't going to provide that much of a relief to the current infrastructure - building new motorways or A-roads would.

Don't get me wrong, any investment in infrastructure is a good thing - but surely it should be targeted to have its benefits be as wide reaching as possible when money is so tight?
    Forum Member
    Fair point, but HS2 isn't going to provide that much of a relief to the current infrastructure - building new motorways or A-roads would.

Don't get me wrong, any investment in infrastructure is a good thing - but surely it should be targeted to have its benefits be as wide reaching as possible when money is so tight?

Why wouldn't it provide much of a relief? Current daily trips between London and Birmingham are 7,500 (11,700 by 2026), between London and Manchester 7,000 (12,100) and London and Leeds 4,300 (7,200). That's a lot of relieved capacity in my mind.

http://www.hs2.org.uk/sites/default/files/inserts/Demand%20and%20Appraisal%20Report%20London-West%20Midlands.pdf

(Table 3.1)

HS2 is a long-term project, so current position in the economic cycle is irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sceptical that it will relieve pressure on the roads though - the commuters that use the train now will represent the majority of users of HS2, and there will be few that have made the move from car to train, in my opinion. Besides anything else, the cost of rail travel is prohibitively expensive as it is now, so goodness only knows how expensive it will be by the time HS2 is completed.

That, and it is only servicing one corridor, meanwhile the rest of the country's infrastructure is disappearing down the gurgler.

At the end of the day, HS2 is going to happen no matter what - whether it is successful remains to be seen, but I sincerely hope that it is; however, the sheer lack of funding that has been directed to the country's roads over many years (and many successive governments) is nothing short of appalling; motorists who are being used as cash cows are having to put up with roads that are not fit for purpose, and they (and I am one of them) are quite justified in asking why such a huge investment is being made in one project that benefits relatively few, while they are paying through the nose to use existing infrastructure that is shot to bits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hazard a guess that a lot of resurfacing works aren't done because of the disruption it would cause. I only really see it being done on motorways and major roads, where generally you can close one lane at a time, do the works at night and cause minimal delays. I can see the logistical problems of doing a residential street where you need to leave room for access and can only make noise at certain times of the day. Much easier to do a temporary fill to stop the complainers, surely?
    Forum Member
    I am sceptical that it will relieve pressure on the roads though - the commuters that use the train now will represent the majority of users of HS2, and there will be few that have made the move from car to train, in my opinion. Besides anything else, the cost of rail travel is prohibitively expensive as it is now, so goodness only knows how expensive it will be by the time HS2 is completed.

That, and it is only servicing one corridor, meanwhile the rest of the country's infrastructure is disappearing down the gurgler.

At the end of the day, HS2 is going to happen no matter what - whether it is successful remains to be seen, but I sincerely hope that it is; however, the sheer lack of funding that has been directed to the country's roads over many years (and many successive governments) is nothing short of appalling; motorists who are being used as cash cows are having to put up with roads that are not fit for purpose, and they (and I am one of them) are quite justified in asking why such a huge investment is being made in one project that benefits relatively few, while they are paying through the nose to use existing infrastructure that is shot to bits.

You must be kidding me. In the last 40 years, money has been thrown at road schemes like there's no tomorrow - even in these anti-road times it's running at about £8.4bn per year (i.e. about a quarter of the total cost of HS2)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    You must be kidding me. In the last 40 years, money has been thrown at road schemes like there's no tomorrow - even in these anti-road times it's running at about £8.4bn per year (i.e. about a quarter of the total cost of HS2)

Then why are the roads in such a shocking state? Something is clearly amiss somewhere?
  • TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've now got a cracked windscreen now which I attribute to potholes.

Where you have potholes you often get the loose stones from them spread across the road surface. I think it was one of these stones that was thrown up into the air by other traffic and into my windscreen.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've now got a cracked windscreen now which I attribute to potholes.

Where you have potholes you often get the loose stones from them spread across the road surface. I think it was one of these stones that was thrown up into the air by other traffic and into my windscreen.

Hitting a hefty pothole can momentarily twist the chassis and can cause cracking in the windscreen, in many cars the roofline and pillars are a load bearing part of the car.