Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo wing question .
    I have many issues with my body and getting my fitness up is what I'm doing , now most of the routines seem to be ok for legs , body or bum but one area which I hate is the top of my arms .
    I have some small weight think 1.5 kg and been doing lifting or whatever you call it , this is done when doing step ups . Are there any other exercises or weight routines that could help tone them ?

Well done everyone who has lost weight this week

Tricep dips will help bingo wings a lot, also (not sure what this next one is called so will describe it) with hand weight in hand, you basically lift your arm up, then lower your hand down by your back (as if you scratching your back, to give a better idea) then extend hand/arm up straight, then back down behind back - should be in line with shoulder blade area. Do that a few times on each arm.

Its your triceps you need to tone for bingo wings- so look up tricep toning exercises as I suspect my description above is not very good! :o:D

http://www.realsimple.com/m/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/best-triceps-exercises-00100000089554/index.html this might help? (The thing I tried to describe is a variation of the overhead extension which is on this link)
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    After a week of eating ok-ish and feeling like I'd lost weight, I've lost maybe 1/2 pound. Is it just me or is it that the feeling of having lost weight happens one day and you notice the changes? I'm not unhappy though - I've still lost 1/2 stone in this current run and overall in the last 9 months I've lost 1 stone 7lbs so I'm feeling positive. I can do this!!

Well done to everyone else :)

Instead of looking at the scales, why not take measurements of your body instead. That way you still notice the loss and it keeps up the motivation?

I've shifted 6lbs in a fortnight, but my body shape has changed. I want to lose another stone to stone and a half - I've not set a deadline though. Got a new flatmate, so I'm hoping that I won't eat as much when she's around...
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, I haven't posted in this thread since the start of the year when I was starting to lose weight but due to a number of circumstance changes my weight loss plan was thrown out the window.

Anyway, having met a friend I haven't seen in ages in town on Saturday I was blown away by how she looked, she has lost 4 stone since January, and naturally, I'm green with envy. She owes it all to one thing, Slimming World. Her sister who is another friend of mine said she would love to start Slimming World too and I said that I would too if I could have the same sort of results as her....

So, we're off to SW tonight! I have never been to one of these clubs before so dunno what exactly happens at them or what to expect, but I'm told there's quite a few men go to our local one so I should be alright. I dread to even think what I weigh now, I haven't been on the scales since the start of the year. I know what I lost has been put back on and then some that's for sure. :(
  • aero63aero63 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I started the Slimming World Extra Easy on Saturday after joining online. I'm a 49yo bloke, 5'7 and weighed in at 12st 8and a quarter pounds at the start. See how it goes.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Having a strange few days where I have still continued with Special K but over indulged on it at the weekend and had two unhealthy high calorie ridden meals. Just been given a bar of chocolate too which I've wafted down. I haven't lost anything significant on the Special K 2 week challenge but then I continued to eat what I normally would for the evening meal - haven't followed any of their dinner recipe ideas. Also I believe the challenge is aimed at those with a high BMI so am guessing losing 6 lbs in two weeks as a kick start would be more achievable for overweight people.

It isn't all negative though in that I am still very much enjoying my daily exercise and have now managed to start jogging in intervals when walking which is a great achievement - can feel a slight burn across tum and waist when I do it which can only be a good thing. Also thanks to Special K, I am definitely more inclined to get into a breakfast routine once again so that is a positive which I'll take away from it. Despite being given chocolate tonight, I am finding it easy to live without and such other junk food which I'm proud of.

My goals now are to build up my jogging as part of my daily walk - I believe they call it 'wogging'. I'm hoping this will burn inches off my waist in the next month. Lastly, I want to give a special shout out to Paddy and Aero as fellow guys in this thread and wish them the best in their weight loss.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Slimming World meeting went well and I'm determined to stick with it and I have a friend who's going with me every week. It also helps that the group leader turned out to be a neighbour of mine so now I feel obliged to do well at it!

I have put on a stone since the start of the year :o so I hope to have plenty off in time for Christmas.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tricep dips will help bingo wings a lot, also (not sure what this next one is called so will describe it) with hand weight in hand, you basically lift your arm up, then lower your hand down by your back (as if you scratching your back, to give a better idea) then extend hand/arm up straight, then back down behind back - should be in line with shoulder blade area. Do that a few times on each arm.

Its your triceps you need to tone for bingo wings- so look up tricep toning exercises as I suspect my description above is not very good! :o:D

http://www.realsimple.com/m/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/best-triceps-exercises-00100000089554/index.html this might help? (The thing I tried to describe is a variation of the overhead extension which is on this link)

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weighed in this morning 3.8lb loss that is two weeks though as I didn't weigh last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sugar, low carb (two slices of wholewheat bread a day) unlimited veg (mostly leafy) and higher protein mostly eggs as I am vegetarian. No secret to it just keep my calories to between 1000 -1200 per day. So you could eat anything you want not stick to my foods but stick to the calorie count.

I don't exercise much just increased my walking a little.

I find I am not hungry on my diet and could eat like this forever if necessary.

I am diabetic so the no sugar low carb is extremely good for me but may not be best for you.

You really need to try things out to see what works.

I found my highest calorie meal being my breakfast works best then a slightly lower calorie lunch ending with under 200 calories for my supper. But I work shifts so again you need to see what works best for you.
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a BLT dripping with mayonnaise so I reckon I will only be able to have low fat soup tonight.

I hate it when you eat too much early in the day and have to scale back at night :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this calorie control/fasting diet seems to be wonderful.

I've lost 6lbs in two weeks and dropped 2 inches from my waist and hips (each).

Brilliant start to my holiday diet :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    Just had a BLT dripping with mayonnaise so I reckon I will only be able to have low fat soup tonight.

I hate it when you eat too much early in the day and have to scale back at night :(

This is why I said people have to see what suits them best, as I much prefer a decent breakfast and very little later in the day. Which obviously wouldn't suit you.
  • aero63aero63 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Having a strange few days where I have still continued with Special K but over indulged on it at the weekend and had two unhealthy high calorie ridden meals. Just been given a bar of chocolate too which I've wafted down. I haven't lost anything significant on the Special K 2 week challenge but then I continued to eat what I normally would for the evening meal - haven't followed any of their dinner recipe ideas. Also I believe the challenge is aimed at those with a high BMI so am guessing losing 6 lbs in two weeks as a kick start would be more achievable for overweight people.

It isn't all negative though in that I am still very much enjoying my daily exercise and have now managed to start jogging in intervals when walking which is a great achievement - can feel a slight burn across tum and waist when I do it which can only be a good thing. Also thanks to Special K, I am definitely more inclined to get into a breakfast routine once again so that is a positive which I'll take away from it. Despite being given chocolate tonight, I am finding it easy to live without and such other junk food which I'm proud of.

My goals now are to build up my jogging as part of my daily walk - I believe they call it 'wogging'. I'm hoping this will burn inches off my waist in the next month. Lastly, I want to give a special shout out to Paddy and Aero as fellow guys in this thread and wish them the best in their weight loss.

Cheers. I really don't get time to fit much exercise in but I know I should be doing something. From next week I'm going to try to fit in a bit of time on the exercise bike before work and maybe alternate it by trying the challenge on the two hundred sit ups website. It looks interesting. It will probably take longer than six weeks for me but I like the idea of it being a programme that helps you build gradually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    That sounds a bit like Atkins. I don't think I could manage 1200 cals without being starving. How tall are you?

5 foot 5 inches. The key to not starving is protein, take the sugar and carbs away and you can eat piles of veg, and the cravings for food stop too.

It probably isn't for everyone but having lost 3.5 stones since January 1st and not been hungry I can say it works for me.
  • munchy_memunchy_me Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Hi all

I'm new to this thread...Can I join?! I've been looking to lose some weight from 11 stone 9 so I have recently taken up a step class and tums, bums and thighs. I'm also trying to stick to 1600 cals a day...which is hard as when I'm finished the gym as I'm usually starving!!

Just read on a web page that I should lose 2 stone, 2 pounds to be the right weight for my height. I don't think I can ever make that...:( Even when I was hospitalised after a spell of really bad ulcerative colitis I was not that slim...yikes!!

xx
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Instead of looking at the scales, why not take measurements of your body instead. That way you still notice the loss and it keeps up the motivation?

I've shifted 6lbs in a fortnight, but my body shape has changed. I want to lose another stone to stone and a half - I've not set a deadline though. Got a new flatmate, so I'm hoping that I won't eat as much when she's around...

Yeh that's an idea...at the moment I'm feeling thinner (ha!) so I will see how it goes. It's all in the mind so at the moment I'm feeling positive - hopefully it will last :) My mum asked me if I had lost weight the other day and I happily said yes so it's all good at the moment - just got to stick with it :)

Well done on the 6lbs :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Oh so you're not that short. Gosh 1000-1200 is very low for that height. I can see it would work but I'm not sure what food I could eat. I think I've said before but I don't know what has sugar, carbs or protein in it so if I'm picking something up in a supermarket I won't know whether it fits or not. I've never looked at food in that way and I'm not scientific at all.

I've been a bit surprised at how not interested in my weight the GPs are. I'm 16 stone; I've got one thing that online says can be caused by obesity (though I have other issues that are nothing to do with my weight) - I used those words to the GP and he didn't bat an eyelid. Weird. I thought they were supposed to be interested in that kind of thing. Or perhaps it's just seen as lifestyle and personal responsibility.

Back in the seventies and eighties most calorie controlled diets were 1000 calories a day max, I wonder when we became unable to exist on 3 decent meals a day which is what I get on that number of calories ?
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I've found this interesting paper "Social support in an Internet weight loss community"

The full paper is here. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3060773/ I haven't read the whole thing yet, but from the abstract it seems to describe a situation very similar to ... us :)

Edit: I missed the gym on Monday (or was it Sunday) and it's been closed for a few days for redecoration. But I went swimming yesterday which includes about a 10k round bicycle journey as well as 1k swimming. I'm off to the gym tonight and will weigh myself again. I'm expecting to be where I should be, but we'll see when the numbers pop up on the scale :)

Welcome to munchy_me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is us !

I must say posting here and on another forum have helped me a lot, knowing I don't want to report a gain or give up because so many are happy for me makes a big difference. But the anonymous nature also helps me too I don't think I would be so happy to weigh in front of people as they do at some real life meetings.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    That is us !

I must say posting here and on another forum have helped me a lot, knowing I don't want to report a gain or give up because so many are happy for me makes a big difference. But the anonymous nature also helps me too I don't think I would be so happy to weigh in front of people as they do at some real life meetings.

Erm, what did you say in the previous discussion of how much people wear when they are weighing themselves? :D

It's a pity we didn't get the free Amazon vouchers though!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not on any slimming programme, but having gained 2 stone over the winter I decided to adjust my diet by cutting out bread, crisps, potatoes, and red meat. But to include more veg and fruit.

In just 7 days the weight has dropped off me. I have lost 5 lbs, and all of this without really dieting! All common sense eating really. It's nice to know that I can lose it as quick as I gained it!

Successful weight lose is just common sense really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Erm, what did you say in the previous discussion of how much people wear when they are weighing themselves? :D

It's a pity we didn't get the free Amazon vouchers though!!!

Exactly I mean just imagine how many would go screaming from the room if I did that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else get a bit fed up with how long it takes to lose weight? I know I do. Seems to be a cycle of losing three pounds, putting on two.

Maybe I'm weighing myself too often.
    Forum Member
    Splot wrote: »
    Does anyone else get a bit fed up with how long it takes to lose weight? I know I do. Seems to be a cycle of losing three pounds, putting on two.

Maybe I'm weighing myself too often.

For a long time, I lost 1lb a week. It seemed slow at the time. Now I'm at my ideal weight, in hindsight it doesn't seem slow at all.

A watched pot never boils and all that.

If you are actually putting on weight in a cycle, then you might want to analyse your eating and exercise habits, and identifying the cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    For a long time, I lost 1lb a week. It seemed slow at the time. Now I'm at my ideal weight, in hindsight it doesn't seem slow at all.

A watched pot never boils and all that.

If you are actually putting on weight in a cycle, then you might want to analyse your eating and exercise habits, and identifying the cause.

I don't have that much weight to lose so that will be why it's slow I guess. And I'm very impatient.