Options

The Bridge 2 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having got over my strop and hurling things at the TV……I've calmed now !! So…..she had to do it….but Martin is no fool. Why on earth would he have thrown incriminating evidence in the bin presumably in front of the prison. You may as well leave a gun with your finger prints on it. He could have killed him with any poison, no need to take evidence from work !!! He could have burned the cup…or thrown it over said bridge ! But no…. did Martin feel he had nothing left to live for, no home, no kids, and he just didn't care any more.

Going to be interesting to see how they get Series 3 going. It won't work if Martin is not a policeman any more, so somehow he must get off this or actually not have done anything at all.

Reassuring to see the great interview with both actors on BBC….. they confirmed series 3 is being worked on at present, he said Martin loves Saga (thank God not in a romantic way), so all will be well, it has to be !! What a fabulous final two eps tonight. Don't think I exhaled for the last forty minutes.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic stuff. I can't wait for series 3 and to see what they do with Martins guilt. I guess the guy who killed Gertrud is part of series 3 but I suspect it was the ship owner?
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on it is martin is one step ahead of Saga.

Yes Martin killed Jens with poison in the coffee. He also knew Saga would work it out and so the cup he threw away was a decoy. yes when they examine it they will find his fingerprints on it and possibly those of Jens, but there will be no trace of poison because the real cup has been disposed of elsewhere.

As to who killed Gertud, yes I too think its the boat owner.

So episode 3 opens with Martin being exonerated. I also think there is more to Jennifer's death and possibly it was not suicide but murder by you know who .........
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were Oliver and Gertrud in it together? Confused.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    :o Phew - And breathe! That was so good, I even had goose pimples at the end when the music started. Poor Martin, although I think he did kill Jens, I don't think it was with the missing evidence. Who on earth was it that killed Gertrude??

The scenes with Pernille and Victoria were so good, and so sad.

Gutted it's over.:cry:
  • Options
    Markus23Markus23 Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    Were Oliver and Gertrud in it together? Confused.

Yes, but I recon Oliver thought they were doing it to further Medisonus and Viktoria's legacy. I doubt he cared about the enviroment or anything like that.

That of course leaves the question as to how much Oliver knew about the final plan, and that Viktoria was going to be infected.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    My take on it is martin is one step ahead of Saga.

Yes Martin killed Jens with poison in the coffee. He also knew Saga would work it out and so the cup he threw away was a decoy. yes when they examine it they will find his fingerprints on it and possibly those of Jens, but there will be no trace of poison because the real cup has been disposed of elsewhere.

As to who killed Gertud, yes I too think its the boat owner.

So episode 3 opens with Martin being exonerated. I also think there is more to Jennifer's death and possibly it was not suicide but murder by you know who .........

Ooooh, good thinking, but do you think she could live with that, being a cop?
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Suggest avoiding the Guardian blogs before or while The Bridge 3 is on. Some idiot of a journalist ruined the last episode for me with spoilers, during an interview with Kim Bodnia.

Jens was looking for a way out of life in prison I reckon, but whether Martin killed him or provided him with the drugs to do himself in, it's still a crime. But I so want them both working together again in Bridge 3. Don't suppose we'll get it until next winter? I wonder if they'll leave the overall boss of the eco terror group unknown or will pursue that still in part 3?
  • Options
    Ray_BurnRay_Burn Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Here's what Hans Rosenfeldt, the writer, just said on the live blog:
    Thanks for watching. We do not know who shot Gertrud. We thought a lot about the ending and thought that just have Martin/Saga arresting her would be a little... dull. So we came up with this ending where she's been a part of something bigger and failed. But we do not know what or who this "bigger" is. Maybe we have to deal with it in series 3 or maybe we'll never find out. We haven't decided yet...
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they'll leave the overall boss of the eco terror group unknown or will pursue that still in part 3?
    I was assuming that that storyline will continue into series 3. To be honest I was wondering how they could come up with a premise for a third series, given the first two have both used the somewhat unlikely device of having a crime take place in the middle of the same bridge as a means of having the two main characters working together. To have yet another incident on the bridge itself would have been stretching it. But if the same investigation from series 2 continues into series 3 then they don't have to come up with another excuse to have them continue working together.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    I guess the guy who killed Gertrud is part of series 3 but I suspect it was the ship owner?
    In an online chat the producer did after the Swedish finale, he hinted that we may not find out. I'll quote the translated post:
    Peter : If there is a third season , it will probably be revealed who shot Gertrude then?
    Hans Rosenfeldt : We do not know . If we feel that the piece must be raised after two years , so maybe ... We talk about it but have not decided yet.

http://www.svt.se/bron/chatta-med-hans-rosenfeldt-om-bron

Awesome season, though. I thought Saga reporting Martin was very in character, and really, if she had cover for Martin, it would have been out of character. The irony is that Martin now gets to be hurt by Saga's "betrayal", much like how she was with him for reading her sister's record.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Markus23 wrote: »
    Yes, but I recon Oliver thought they were doing it to further Medisonus and Viktoria's legacy. I doubt he cared about the enviroment or anything like that.

That of course leaves the question as to how much Oliver knew about the final plan, and that Viktoria was going to be infected.

If he knew about the final plan, he wouldn't have tried to kill Viktoria. Saga said so at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    I was assuming that that storyline will continue into series 3. To be honest I was wondering how they could come up with a premise for a third series, given the first two have both used the somewhat unlikely device of having a crime take place in the middle of the same bridge as a means of having the two main characters working together. To have yet another incident on the bridge itself would have been stretching it. But if the same investigation from series 2 continues into series 3 then they don't have to come up with another excuse to have them continue working together.

On the one hand yes it would be stretching it to think a THIRD incident would occur on the Bridge, and yet….. could continuing on the current storyline sustain an entire series plot wise. The only thing they have left to find out is who shot Gertrud. Even if they milked it…. it would be a bit of a disappointment to think the entire of Series 3 was just a continuation of the same story more or less.

I'd love to think that Jennifer's death turned out to be a murder and formed the main storyline for series 3, but unless she was bumped off in Denmark how would Martin be involved. Oh… you could go crazy trying to second guess anything….think for tonight its enough to revel in the brilliance of series 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    In an online chat the producer did after the Swedish finale, he hinted that we may not find out. I'll quote the translated post:

http://www.svt.se/bron/chatta-med-hans-rosenfeldt-om-bron

Awesome season, though. I thought Saga reporting Martin was very in character, and really, if she had cover for Martin, it would have been out of character. The irony is that Martin now gets to be hurt by Saga's "betrayal", much like how she was with him for reading her sister's record.

I don't think Martin will be hurt at all. He knows Saga inside out and he knew what she would do. I think as others have said, he will have planted a red herring and outwitted them in the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Slightly annoying that I accidentally read a story which said Jens would be poisoned, although this was the sub-plot.

The shooter at the end was not possible to tell who it was other than a bouffant hair style.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great ending, even more so when you consider the relationship between Martin and Saga is defined by love (family love, not sexual) and Martin sees himself as a father to a daughter (as stated by the leading actors)

Scarily, the actress Sofia Helin said that when shooting finished in May, it took until November to feel as though she is back to her normal self and free from Saga. Shows the depths required to play Saga. She even said that she could develop Saga further :eek:
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    The characters are well enough established to not need an incident on the bridge for series 3. It just needs something that would involve both countries that are linked by easy access using the bridge.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I don't really believe the writer when he says he doesn't know who the killer of Gertrud is. It seems to me like deliberate misdirection to keep people guessing. Would you really just throw something in as crucial as that while at the time saying to yourself "don't worry, I'll figure out who this person is when I write the next series?"

Although maybe I just want to believe that he has a vision for everything and I don't like the idea of him just winging it :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Excellent series.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, what an ending. I wanted it to be Saga at Martin's door, not the police. But it was perfect. The little story was Oliver, the big story was Gertrud, but the real story was Martin and Saga after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Wow, what an ending!! Didn't see that coming. I think the conversation Martin and Saga had when she told him she comitted a crime and pinned it on her parents is important. I think Martin used that and we'll find out more in season 3.
  • Options
    Velvet_FoxVelvet_Fox Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to be deeply disappointed if they don't solve who shot Gertrude! I mean for arguments sake that guy isn't just going to vanish without committing another crime now is he? He has high stakes in what he was doing. They have to revisit it. The final two tonight were so impressive but to not have the story fully resolved during series 3 would taint it. I too like to believe the writers have a plan.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching. Wondered why there seemed no real urgency to hunt down Gertrud and that Martin couldn't leave things be once Jens got back into his head and his life had unraveled once more.

Reading the comments here have covered much, but whilst I'd agree Martin would expect Saga not to ignore how Jens actually died, perhaps her admission of a crime, possibly serious, gave him false confidence that she would find a way, having come to some acceptance over Jennifer's death and having stated Martin was her only friend. But I also think Martin may have just stuck the final knife in metaphorically and will have taken the container of poison, as a test of how much he wanted revenge. Got a feeling it will be unopened and full and this and the autopsy will show no part physically by Martin.

However, Saga has shown him that nothing will excuse the sworn duty as a police officer, yet she clearly has a skeleton in her own closet! My fear is that her character could go either way, be that more insular and uncompromising or start breaking down slowly having to deal with personal bereavement and possibly resentment too without anyone around providing assurance at whatever level she seeks.

Yes the back history is relevant and intriguing to form part of the interplay and wonder of her actions, but the writers need to take care in the extent of revelation and not losing a fundamental part of the entire complexity of Saga, her relations with others and how much it is absolutely necessary to explain rather than revel in mystery.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »

I expect there will be some resolution, certainly for Martin, but feel enough of the story at the heart of this series has been told. Even Columbo didn't get everyone! A fresh idea can easily bring the two and forces together and the successful formula should continue.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an ending! Peerless drama, the acting, cinematography, incidental music and of course the script. Sunday lunch then watch it all again. Brilliant.