C.J Sansom's Shardlake series

AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If anyone is interested C.J Sansom releases a new Shardlake book in October and I can't wait to read all of the 592 pages.I love this series.

Here's the blurb from Good Reads;

Lamentation (Matthew Shardlake #6)
by C.J. Sansom
4.75 of 5 stars 4.75 · rating details · 4 ratings · 1 review
As Henry VIII lies on his deathbed, an incendiary manuscript threatens to tear his court apart in the new installment of C.J. Sansom's Shardlake series.

Autumn, 1546. King Henry VIII is slowly, painfully dying. His Protestant and Catholic councillors prepare for a final and decisive power struggle; whoever wins will control the government. The Catholics decide to focus their attack on Henry's sixth wife, the Protestant Queen Catherine Parr. As Catherine begins to lose the King's favor, she turns to the shrewd, hunchbacked lawyer, Matthew Shardlake, to contain a potentially fatal secret.

The Queen has written a confessional book, Lamentation of a Sinner, a memoir so radical that if it came to the King's attention, it could bring her and her courtly sympathizers to ruination. The London printer into whose hands she entrusted the manuscript has been murdered, the book nowhere to be found.

Shardlake's investigations take him down a trail that begins among printshops in the filthy backstreets of London, but leads him once more to the labyrinthine world of court politics, where Protestant friends can be as dangerous as Catholic enemies, and those who will support either side to further their ambition are the most dangerous of all.

According to Amazon Lamentation will be released on Kindle on October 23rd.The date for the hardcover release is not yet available.

Comments

• moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    His books are very poignant to me as the friend who introduced them to me is now departed. I know how excited she would be when a new one was due to be published.
    Sad to think she won't read it.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I'm on the 3rd one now. :)

I wonder if Anne Askew will appear in Lamentation.

(Does she appear in any of the earlier ones?)
  • bob fossilbob fossil Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news. I'm about two thirds of the way through "Heartstone" at the moment and was wondering when the next one would be out
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, I've been hoping for a new Shardlake for ages.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had the books for a while but haven't started reading them yet. I think this is going to be my next nighty night reading series. Not a genre I usually read and I'm hoping they're books I can really get into.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have been waiting for this for ages, I know there was talk last year that he hadn't put Shardlake to bed just yet. I find his books so hard to put down, I can't wait for this now.

There was talk at one point that they were going to make them into a tv series as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I have been waiting for this for ages, I know there was talk last year that he hadn't put Shardlake to bed just yet. I find his books so hard to put down, I can't wait for this now.

There was talk at one point that they were going to make them into a tv series as well.

Yes, the BBC have(had) the rights, as a project for Ken Branagh.

He has been very busy of late, with films and Wallander, and I have no idea if it's still 'live'.

I have a feeling that the forthcoming Wolf Hall adaptation has scuppered it for the time being.
    Forum Member
    ChrisE wrote: »
    Yes, the BBC have(had) the rights, as a project for Ken Branagh.

He has been very busy of late, with films and Wallander, and I have no idea if it's still 'live'.

I have a feeling that the forthcoming Wolf Hall adaptation has scuppered it for the time being.

That's a shame I was looking forward to that.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the series but usually wait for the paperback version - so next year sometime?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    That's a shame I was looking forward to that.

Considering it was first muted in 2007, before he played Wallander, or at least around that time, it does seem unlikely in the immediate future.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/nov/18/books.booksnews

As I said, with Wolf Hall and Jonathon Strange etc. they seem custume dramaed out for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up - I'm really looking forward to this:)

It would have been great to see this series adapted for TV, if it was done well; as much as I liked Wolf Hall, I think the Shardlake series is maybe better suited for a screen serialisation.
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work with someone (solicitor) who in my imagination looks exactly what Shardlake should look like, I fear I may be disappointed by a TV adfaptation!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thank goodness for that! That's wonderful news! I love Shardlake, but CJ Sansom has been seriously ill since Heartstone was published, and I was starting to think there would be no more novels.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Oh thank goodness for that! That's wonderful news! I love Shardlake, but CJ Sansom has been seriously ill since Heartstone was published, and I was starting to think there would be no more novels.

I didn't realise he had been ill, but he has written another non-Shardlake novel since Heartstone called Dominion.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I didn't realise he had been ill, but he has written another non-Shardlake novel since Heartstone called Dominion.

Bone marrow cancer I believe, diagnosed just after Dominion was written/published, as far as I can remember. He's obviously getting better, that's wonderful news.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radio 4 are broadcasting a dramatisation of Dark Fire from Monday night at 7:45pm
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Radio 4 are broadcasting a dramatisation of Dark Fire from Monday night at 7:45pm

thank you, missed it but have managed to catch it on 4extra.